Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Lisbie

Comments

• Options
    He had one very good season with Colchester after he left us, which earned him a decent move to Ipswich, and probably a decent salary, so that should have set him up financially.
  • Options
    VERY unlucky with injuries. If he hadn't got injured during 03/04 season he would've notched a lot more goals.
    That's a fact is it ?
    An opinion.

He had scored 5 goals in 9 appearances (4 of which he started as a sub)

So yes i think with Di Canio, Bartlett or Johansson partnering him he would've made double figures at least.
  • Options
    Injury and illness always hit him at the most inopportune moment.

I would love to see the stats for his assists whilst he was with us.
  • Options
    Exactly Len -- especially immediately after Curbs had entrusted the no. 10 shirt, and "main man" status, to him. He was a very unlucky player with us.

He definitely had a problem with composure in front of goal though, so I always fancied him as a wide right player -- late in his Charlton career he had a game there vs Arsenal and, I felt at the time, justified my opinion.
  • Options
    Lisbie as a young man was very quick & that was his main attribute, unfortunately he didn't seem to have a brain. When he played on the right he would set off head down & often just run into a defender. I lost count of the number of times that he would beat a couple of defenders & then just run the ball off of the pitch for a throw. His crossing was very poor & his shooting less so. As for being Charlton through & through he's never stopped complaining since we let him go about how he wasn't given a chance & when he joined smallwall he claimed that he was glad to finally sign for a big club & had a few digs about Charlton. Personally I think that he was given far too many chances & he just proved that he wasn't good enough. His career highlight will undoubtably be his hat trick against the scousers, he did precious little else.
  • Options
    http://www.lisbiescoutingagency.com/index.html
    Did anybody else mis-read this as Lisbie's counting agency?
  • Options
    lol ..... to count his sub appearances for Charlton?
  • Options
    Get really mixed feelings reading all these opinions. In hindsight yes, he was involved in some of our most successful teams. The Euell/ Bartlett/ Lisbie prong was exciting to watch. But then I remembered that feeling when he went clear on goal, the knowledge that he would not score. What was that? Surely he practiced!? Could he really not come up with a tactic for it? I still have the newspaper for when he smashed Liverpool, but sadly, the Watford misses continue to haunt me.
  • Options
    Get really mixed feelings reading all these opinions. In hindsight yes, he was involved in some of our most successful teams. The Euell/ Bartlett/ Lisbie prong was exciting to watch. But then I remembered that feeling when he went clear on goal, the knowledge that he would not score. What was that? Surely he practiced!? Could he really not come up with a tactic for it? I still have the newspaper for when he smashed Liverpool, but sadly, the Watford misses continue to haunt me.
    I always thought that re his (& others down the years) crossing of a ball. It's well known that when training had finished at Man U, Eric Cantona (& very probably others) would remain behind working on their ball skills etc & this is why players like him reach & remain at the top & so many others never get near. Dedication & desire !
  • Options

Three reasons I can't help but have a warm feeling for Super Kevin Lisbie

1. Super Kev was my youngest lad's favourite player when he started coming to the Valley with me and the first CAFC shirt I bought for him had "Lisbie" on the back. The shirt is still in a drawer somewhere.

2. A bus driver from Eltham tried to kiss me in the NEQ when Super Kev scored "that" hat-trick.

3. He is the love child of Lord Curbs which makes him a sort of deity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    along with bartlett,svensson and johansen he had a habit of becoming fit and playing well when a contract was in the offing
  • Options
    Be fair, Lolwray, ........ Bartlett ran through brickwalls for Charlton. His attitude was always 1st class.

And JJ was very under rated by many. Again great attitude. Curbs would never kept him for so long otherwise

Svensson was limited as a player. But like Bartlett, he never shied from hard work.
  • Options
    Just scored his 9th of the season to take the lead 2-1 v MK Franchise after nice interchange with Mooney!
  • Options
    Very promising player Kevin he will go far.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Very promising player Kevin he will go far.

All the way to the Orient.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Always pleased when he does well.

His hat-trick v Liverpool was probably one of the best days of my life - and I wasn't even there as I was out of the country. I watched the game on satellite TV in Pretoria in the office of Frene Ginwala. Must be the only time I've ever enjoyed a match on TV more than being at the Valley in person, particularly as every ANC official in the room was supporting Charlton because of Shaun Bartlett.

Happy days and I'm delighted for Lisbie that he's still banging in the goals ten years later. It's his 35th birthday this week, too. Many happy returns, Kev!
  • Options
    Let's get him back. And Mooney.

;o)
  • Options
    Doubt whether we could afford them :-0
  • Options
    What a hat trick....that 3rd goal,...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would welcome back lisbie and even leon clarke at mo
  • Options
    The last minute header at Chelsea plus the chasing he have Spurs at The Valley were other Lisbie high spots.

Him and Mooney have got a great partnership going. Both scoring regularly and both setting a few up for each other. Ideal.
  • Options
    Ridiculous to think that he is 35 years old.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Ridiculous to think that he is 35 years old.

And still got potential ;-)

• Options
    He's lucky .. as a boy/young man he always (to me at least) looked much younger than his real age .. he's now 35 going on 27
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

agreed
    if I remember correctly he got injured in that game or the next one, playing with Di Canio improved him, if he hadn't got injured........?

• Options
    The Bartlett/ Euell/ Lisbie combo is one of the best attacking combos we've had in my time. I would really like to have him back right now, but I cannot get over the Watford miss. Lisbie's speed and balance gave him more one-on-ones than any other Charlton player I've ever seen. And he missed 99% of them.
  • Options

mrbligh said:

agreed
    if I remember correctly he got injured in that game or the next one, playing with Di Canio improved him, if he hadn't got injured........?

Also signed a new contract for £10K a week.
  • Options
    36 years old and he still looks 10