Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Lisbie

Comments

• Options
    Speedy, good in the air for a little'un and with a decent shot on him.
    But unable to link play. Plus as Charlton Bob says a bit brainless. He missed nearly all his one on ones, so I trained myself to expect him not to score. He was brilliant in the Liverpool game though.
  • Options
    Also had TW like close control. Only Morts better in that regard at the Valley.
  • Options
    Rotten luck with injuries and illness.

But a very decent player on the ball, neat control and and could beat his man.
    Paulo di Canio said at the time that Lisbie had the most natural ability of any player then at Charlton.

His big problem was that he panicked in front of goal.
    If only he could have trained himself to be steady and composed.

I bet he was a world beater in training.

• Options
    Agree about the freezing in front of goal, I think it was the 4-0 Man City game, where despite terrorising their defence he contrived to miss some absolute sitters.

I suppose that one of the ironies was that his pace got him into situations, where he had time to think about his finishing, and yet when it was when he had time to think that he was at his worst, as he literally seemed to freeze with the ball.

Still we have had a lot worse than 'Super Kev' over the years!
  • Options

36 years old and he still looks 10

With a tache!
  • Options
    Another thing with Lisbie, which used to drive me to distraction, was his mortgage was in an offside position.

He was the fastest player at the club, (he always won the pre-season competition) but did not have the brains to look along the line to stay onside.
  • Options
    I bet sitting on our bench made him a very wealthy man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    JiMMy 85 said:

The Bartlett/ Euell/ Lisbie combo is one of the best attacking combos we've had in my time. I would really like to have him back right now, but I cannot get over the Watford miss. Lisbie's speed and balance gave him more one-on-ones than any other Charlton player I've ever seen. And he missed 99% of them.

Seem to remember in a Premier League match against Manchester City on the opening day of the season (Year after we won the Championship and beat them 4-1)... Lisbie started that match and had so many chances to score, a few one-on-ones as well I think and wasted all of them, was so disappointed when he went off that he hadnt scored because he deserved to, just his finishing had let him down
  • Options
    Funny thing, 1-on-1 chances.

Many strikers are lethal and prolific in the box - but in a 1-on-1, they fluff nearly every time.

IMO the same mentality is needed as when taking a penalty ........ know already how you will approach it and be decisive.
    You'll score 9 out of 10.

And the one you miss will be a brilliant save or luck, by the keeper.
    And that's just football.

• Options
    Too one-footed, wouldn't practise with his left.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Funny thing, 1-on-1 chances.

Many strikers are lethal and prolific in the box - but in a 1-on-1, they fluff nearly every time.

IMO the same mentality is needed as when taking a penalty ........ know already how you will approach it and be decisive.
    You'll score 9 out of 10.

And the one you miss will be a brilliant save or luck, by the keeper.
    And that's just football.

The problem is probably down to the fact that when your in the box you get a split second to make the decision so you score... When your through on goal you've got too much time to think about how your going to complete the shot that they mess it up... like you say when a player gets a penalty, you want them to take it as quickly as possible so they remain decisive
  • Options
    He did score a few one on ones for us though, wasn't his hattrick goal against Liverpool a one on one?
  • Options
    Lisbie was no worse at one-on-one than Igor...
  • Options

He did score a few one on ones for us though, wasn't his hattrick goal against Liverpool a one on one?

Didnt he run at the Liverpool Defence who just stood off him allowing him to score?
  • Options

Didnt he run at the Liverpool Defence who just stood off him allowing him to score?
    He still had to finish it though, and had plenty of time to think about it, before placing his shot, which was nicely curled around the keeper!
  • Options
    Personally I was amazed Lisbie lasted so long at the club especially in the Curbishley years and then even more amazed he managed to survive when Dowie came in too.

The number of one on one's he would fluff were incredible, I used to tell my Dad there's only so many times you can say the keeper made a good save rather than blame Lisbie.

Apart from the Watford away miss which someone else mentioned the other one which stood out for me and summed him up as a player was Sunderland away, we lost 2-3 that day and the game was nearly over, Lisbie dribbled his way into the box from the right wing and made it as far as the six yard box but rather than have a go at goal himself he left the ball to another striker making a run into the box (might have been Bartlett) except the striker also stopped running thinking Lisbie would shoot from that position and in the end both players left the ball to each other and Sunderland were able to clear there lines.

Definitely stayed with us a few years too long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to see Barnet vs Accrington Stanley today, and young Kevin came off the bench for the last 15 minutes, his debit for Barnet after injury. Barnet look a poor hoofball team, I think it will be a long season for them...
  • Options
    Get the feeling Lisbie was mis-managed at charlton (excuse the pun).
    Curbs obviously saw something in him which a lot of other people did, like myself, but in the end could not help him ( consistently) get the most important part of his game right, and that's sticking it away. His goal per game record for us was very poor, could and should have been a lot better.

I don't know if lisbie did or not but sounds like he should have gone deeper into root of the problem and saw a sports psychologist or something.

• Options
    Moşt of his games under Curbs were as a lone striker at which he did a passable job given he was under 6ft. Playing off someone like Yann he'd have been prolific.
  • Options
    Liz scored a lot of his goals in the air. I trained myself to never expect him to score 1 - 1's, so thus didn't get too disappointed when he fluffed his lines. A neat player but not too good at playing other players in. Good youth product.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say no to Kevin Lisbie at his peak right now..
  • Options

90 mins on 28/09/03.
  • Options

I'm not that way inclined.......
  • Options

Liz scored a lot of his goals in the air. I trained myself to never expect him to score 1 - 1's, so thus didn't get too disappointed when he fluffed his lines. A neat player but not too good at playing other players in. Good youth product.

Much like me. My Dad always used to tell me it was a good save by the keeper :neutral:
  • Options

Moşt of his games under Curbs were as a lone striker at which he did a passable job given he was under 6ft. Playing off someone like Yann he'd have been prolific.

Really? I thought he played a lot of games with Bartlett and Euell around him.