Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palace Rivalry

Comments

• Options
    What makes rivals ?

In my first post above I showed the wikipedia version of Brighton / Palace's special rivalry going back to the 70's when both clubs went form the third tier to the first tier around the same time (give or take a season or two). It would hardly seem to me enough to justify a rivalry as intense as ours is against Palace .

In my second post i pointed out Upton Park is the closet league ground to the Valley ,yet no one sees the happy Hammers as big rivals .

In the late 50's they supplanted us as the biggest club in the east (both sides of the river) of London as our relegation was followed a year later by their promotion .Over the last 30 years we have played them with a lot more frequency than Millwall including vital relegation scraps yet it is the Spanners who claim a rivalry with them .

• Options
    I've said this before about Palace, their fans tend to be middle class kids from Surrey who think they have a superiority over ourselves and Millwall, cause they see us as working class oiks.
    You're very good at coming out with superb one liners!
  • Options
    Why would they hate us? Jealously?

We are about 7 miles away from each other and once you've taken out all that racist riff raff the spanners carry about with them we're pretty much the same people (if you're a SE londoner).

I don't believe they hate us at all.

They lived in our shadow for nearly 14 years so thats just jealousy i reckon.
    It must just be a very small group of people who carry hatred for Charlton. My Dad's lot, 60+, seem to like Charlton, used to go there when Millwall played away, a rivalry yes but not a hatred. Many of the lot I know, 20-40 years old don't seem have any hatred for Charlton either.

• Options

In my second post i pointed out Upton Park is the closet league ground to the Valley ,yet no one sees the happy Hammers as big rivals .

In the late 50's they supplanted us as the biggest club in the east (both sides of the river) of London as our relegation was followed a year later by their promotion .Over the last 30 years we have played them with a lot more frequency than Millwall including vital relegation scraps yet it is the Spanners who claim a rivalry with them .

& it is West Ham who claim a rivalry with us too, not you. Is there any team that see's you as their 'main' rival? You're just too well liked!

• Options
    edited April 2012

We are about 7 miles away from each other and once you've taken out all that racist riff raff the spanners carry about with them we're pretty much the same people (if you're a SE londoner).

I don't believe they hate us at all.

They lived in our shadow for nearly 14 years so thats just jealousy i reckon.
    It must just be a very small group of people who carry hatred for Charlton. My Dad's lot, 60+, seem to like Charlton, used to go there when Millwall played away, a rivalry yes but not a hatred. Many of the lot I know, 20-40 years old don't seem have any hatred for Charlton either.

Exactly the same here, never known any Millwall fan to hate us or our supporters.

As for my history well, Palace rivalry only came about since we first started playing them and of course when we shared their ground as for both Millwall and Palace they were always a league or two below us. As I mentioned above.

Heres some history for you, the team Charlton have played the most in the past is Portsmouth. so does that mean we're rivals?
  • Options

& it is West Ham who claim a rivalry with us too, not you. Is there any team that see's you as their 'main' rival? You're just too well liked!

That's coz we're lovely.......................................
  • Options
    I don't have hatred for Millwall. They don't have the friendliest or nicest reputation, but at least they have an identity that they're proud of. And no, I'm not referring to the holliganism and thug behaviour. If you're a playing at The Den, for Millwall or against Millwall, then you had better be on the top of your game. The only thing I don't like about them are all the plastics that come out as soon as they get to Wembley.

Palace however.....I have nothing but hatred for. Maybe it is because I am still only 24 and have grown up in a time when the rivalry with them has taken all its twists and turns. Don't get me started on the Ultras. I would love nothing more than to absolutely destroy them at Selhurst next season.

The 1-0 in the Championship (Todorov's goal) was one of my favourite away days. Don't think I've ever celebrated a goal like that in my life (apart from Carlisle away!!!)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    hopefully no one really hates charlton. what's not to like about us?

i do hate millwall though, their fans just bore the arse off of you having to tell of their latest scummy antics,like anyone gives a fuck

palace, nonexistant.

• Options
    Jeez, the one good thing about this season is that it has been completely devoid of the tedious teenage silly rivalry talk. I missed the expectation and adrenaline of a game with local interest, but i really didn't miss all the internet crap that goes with it.

Anyone / club that thrives on having a 'rivalry' is sad imo. Its like the adult version of dungeons & dragons, or something equally geeky. You either like a club or don't like a club. Whether it is reciprocated or not shouldn't matter one iota.

I hate Millwall as a club and i don't care one bit whether they feel anything about us or not. Palace, my views have probably softened over the years, but i'll still desperately want to beat them and will enjoy the increased buzz of the games. Again, don't give a damn what they think about us.

One thing i do know for sure is that collectively both those clubs always have and always will play down their feelings towards Charlton. Yet they will sell out their tickets at The Valley in record time.

• Options
    Jeez, the one good thing about this season is that it has been completely devoid of the tedious teenage silly rivalry talk. I missed the expectation and adrenaline of a game with local interest, but i really didn't miss all the internet crap that goes with it.

Anyone / club that thrives on having a 'rivalry' is sad imo. Its like the adult version of dungeons & dragons, or something equally geeky. You either like a club or don't like a club. Whether it is reciprocated or not shouldn't matter one iota.

I hate Millwall as a club and i don't care one bit whether they feel anything about us or not. Palace, my views have probably softened over the years, but i'll still desperately want to beat them and will enjoy the increased buzz of the games. Again, don't give a damn what they think about us.

One thing i do know for sure is that collectively both those clubs always have and always will play down their feelings towards Charlton. Yet they will sell out their tickets at The Valley in record time.

Sums up the way I feel about both clubs and the whole "rivalry" thing perfectly especially the fact they as much as they try to play it down they love to beat us. But then we all know, be we fans of Palace, Millwall or Charlton that we are the big fish in the small South London pond.

I look forward to the derbies but I will look forward much more to the season after next or whenever it is when we are in a higher division than them again and don't have to play them at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be careful if you google adult dungeons and dragons
  • Options
    I'm delighted if we beat Palace and Millwall, and laugh at their failure, but do I hate them. No.

Most fans of the clubs are actually pretty similar, especially Palace and Charlton fans, their support base comes from outer South London and Surrey, ours from outer South East london and Kent. They have a few w*nkers, so do we...

Anyone who supports one of the 3 clubs through thick and thin is a proper football supporter, who's gone through periods of failure on the pitch, and financial misery off the pitch...
  • Options

I just don't get this viewpoint on here. Like selling 3,000 tickets for a match a couple of miles away automatically must mean we hate you? Surely it's just expected to sell out an away end at a ground down the road? Just like we would at QPR, Brentford, Leyton Orient etc...don't put them on a par with West ham etc.
  • Options
    What is your biggest crowd in the last 5 years Sparrows?
  • Options
    Come on SLL, we all remember StuWall and his attempt to buy tickets for the Charlton home game and how you got your biggest gate of a promotion season v a team you don't care about.
  • Options
    I'm married into a family of Palace supporters, so my view on them has softened because of that (but no way are the kids ever going to support them stripey ***ts) but I do enjoy beating them.

As for Millwall, it's weird, I treat them as annoying cousins, who try a bit to hard, but hate is a bit much, know to many of them, get on with most of them, a bit of ribbing now and then is ok.

It's also an age thing since the mid 90's we've hardly played Millwall on a regular basis, Palace filled the gap a bit, plus the history created the nasty edge.
  • Options

As for my history well, Palace rivalry only came about since we first started playing them and of course when we shared their ground as for both Millwall and Palace they were always a league or two below us. As I mentioned above.

Heres some history for you, the team Charlton have played the most in the past is Portsmouth. so does that mean we're rivals?
    Historically M & cp were always below until the sixties which is 50 years to stoke up some rivalry.

As for Pompey, while not local rivals, historically there has been bad blood between the supporters since at least the mid 60s & was always the game a certain section of our support looked forward to, possibly more so than London derbys.
  • Options

The one good thing? I can think of some other things that's been quite qood about this season. :)
  • Options
    Very much looking forward to playing Palace & Millwall next year and would love it if we done the double over them.

That's all there is to it.
  • Options

Historically M & cp were always below until the sixties which is 50 years to stoke up some rivalry.

As for Pompey, while not local rivals, historically there has been bad blood between the supporters since at least the mid 60s & was always the game a certain section of our support looked forward to, possibly more so than London derbys.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you people really mean 'hate'? Its a pretty strong emmotion for a bunch of people you've never met in theri entirity. Personally I don't hate anyone and those that I dislike, I dislike because they have personally done something to me, not because they support a different football club to me.
    This thread is bacially a way to get angry because its going so well on the pitch so there's nothing to moan about there.
  • Options
    Amen to that AFKA. Particularily if that internet crap has been started by someone on a deliberate wind up, as I suspect has been the case in this thread.

Of course I stand to be corrected & will offer my apologies in light of the original posters future discussion on the merits of Jeff Wood v Nicky Johns (or the recent equivalent thereof).

Or not...
  • Options
    Can someone please explain what this is about?

Who are these millwall & palace chaps? Never heard of them..............................
  • Options
    They're both scum, and I shall enjoy seeing both of them getting a sound thrashing from the Addicks next season. I couldn't care less what they think of us.

The Spanners sold out weeks in advance for both of their last two games against us, whilst the goofy Palace fans raised money to pay for a plane displaying a taunting message to fly over The Valley on the last day of our relegation season. That is how little they care.

• Options
    Do you people really mean 'hate'?
    Sadly so as you can see by the amount of violence over the years.

• Options
    what with me dad, brother, 5 uncles, 3 cousins supporting palace i think me using the word hate or scum might be a tad too much,
    but cant wait to till we play em next season
    little bit of hate to me bro when we were coining each other in i think the zds game or the league cup game
    also to those who called me a squatter at school for a few years
    3 quaters of the graces pub who gave a massive cheer when come up we were in bottom 3
  • Options
    oops 4 cousins
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    They're both scum, and I shall enjoy seeing both of them getting a sound thrashing from the Addicks next season. I couldn't care less what they think of us.

The Spanners sold out weeks in advance for both of their last two games against us, whilst the goofy Palace fans raised money to pay for a plane displaying a taunting message to fly over The Valley on the last day of our relegation season. That is how little they care.

that couldnt get off the ground......

• Options
    Language Timothy.
  • Options
    What is your biggest crowd in the last 5 years Sparrows?
    You lot ain't it? Why would that be a surprise? It's a local derby, no ticket restrictions, Charlton fans in the home end and an important end of season game.

How does that mean that we hate you?