Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Euro 2012 thread.

Comments

• Options
    Just read elsewhere that Lampard has limped out of training and is having a scan on a thigh injury. Henderson on standby.

What are the odds of England not taking a single point in the group stages?
  • Options
    England squad / team is very ordinary. Hodgeson always seems to do better with more average squads at international and club level. Maybe as they are less big shots, they will be prepared to play the way he wants them to play; do well and surprise us all.

Goalkeepers: 1. Joe Hart (Manchester City), 13. Robert Green (West Ham), 23. Jack Butland (Birmingham City).

Defenders: 12. Leighton Baines (Everton), 5. Gary Cahill (Chelsea), 3. Ashley Cole (Chelsea), 2. Glen Johnson (Liverpool), 14. Phil Jones (Manchester United), 15. Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), 6. John Terry (Chelsea), 18. Phil Jagielka (Everton).

Midfielders: 19. Stewart Downing (Liverpool), 4. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), 8. Frank Lampard (Chelsea), 16. James Milner (Manchester City), 20. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), 17. Scott Parker (Tottenham), 7. Theo Walcott (Arsenal), 11. Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards: 9. Andy Carroll (Liverpool), 21. Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), 10. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), 22. Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

There is something to be said for very low expectations. It makes a change from the usual delusion, that England have a good chance of winning. We can sit back and enjoy the competition without having to get to worked up by an England loss.

• Options
    If you take player numbers 1 to 11 from the squad, you probably have Roy's proposed starting line up.
  • Options
    Just read elsewhere that Lampard has limped out of training and is having a scan on a thigh injury. Henderson on standby.

What are the odds of England not taking a single point in the group stages?
    Don't think losing Lampard would make a huge difference tbh. Wouldnt be a starter for me

• Options
    he's got to start Parker surely?
  • Options
    I reckon England will not even make it out the group stages.

German's are going to win it, again.
    I'm not a betting man but I've had a modest flutter on both these outcomes.

Carlos Traitorelli... ;-)

• Options
    Germany to win it. Holland a second choice. Spain to struggle in the group stages. Cant see England winning a game with the likes of Carroll , Walcott and Downing in the squad. Ukraine to get to Semi's.
  • Options
    I think Germany or France to win it, Spain the only real other contenders. The Dutch are struggling now. I think England could do pretty well, but it feels damn shakey with having had the manager in place for such a short time.

Can't decide whether I am happy or worried that I'll be in England for the England - Sweden game. Suppose I better stay at someone's house to watch it rather than a pub...
  • Options
    Amazed people are almost pleased that Barry and Lampard are now possibly both out of the tournament.

Lampard was fantastic in the second half of last season. Looks far more comfortable in a deeper role than Gerrard. The Lampard/Gerrard conundrum would've been solved as well, since we wouldn't expect both of them to be bombing forward now that Lampard has redefined his role in the Chelsea side. Would've liked to have seem him in that position for England.
  • Options
    the closer it gets, the more I reckon England will get out of the group, and potenitally a semi final, especially as I think Spain are going to struggle without David Villa, Germany might have been hurt by the Munich final, and the Dutch, are well the dutch.

Rooney coming back in will help, still can't see beyond Germany though to win it, despite what I said in the previous para.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'll get out the group and the fly home after the quarter finals. Germany to win it.
  • Options
    the closer it gets, the more I reckon England will get out of the group, and potenitally a semi final, especially as I think Spain are going to struggle without David Villa,
    Spain also without Puyol, Fabregas hasn't had a good 2nd half of the season then again they always have Torres ;-)
  • Options
    I've got a feeling holland will do it.

I've been building my will hill account up ever since I won £130 on the chelsk v Barca and am up to £437 now so might chuck 50 on holland and 50 on Germany to win outright.

Or just chuck a few hundred on a dead cert which is what I've been doing lately.
  • Options
    My fantasy team is made up of players from France, Holland, Spain and Germany and I think they'll be the Semi-Finalists!

Spain to win, England to suprise a few.
  • Options
    Reassembly interesting to hear from what the other countries think of our chances. most see us as a bit of a mystery. not expecting much with injuries, no star players, ones that our are ageing, Rooney being out for the first two and a new not so known manager, but just like Chelsea they could pull it off.
    we have become probably for the first time in a long time a under-dog.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9299551/Euro-2012-views-from-abroad-on-England-at-the-finals.html
  • Options
    Didnt italy win the world cup after the last betting scandal?
  • Options
    I know people are saying we might do well as the underdog, but when even our media can't get excited about the squad surely that says a lot?
  • Options
    I know people are saying we might do well as the underdog, but when even our media can't get excited about the squad surely that says a lot?
    Less media attention for the English team would be good. I think that might lead to a few cups.

• Options
    Gotta say, we're not fancied by anyone for a good reason. I really think this is the weakest England squad I've seen in my 45 years on this planet. Not Hodgsons fault, just got no-one to pick with the required quality.
  • Options
    Gotta say, we're not fancied by anyone for a good reason. I really think this is the weakest England squad I've seen in my 45 years on this planet. Not Hodgsons fault, just got no-one to pick with the required quality.
    weaker than the team that attempted to qualify for USA 94???....Carlton Palmer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Zee Germans or Holland will win it although Woy will do better than expected...
  • Options
    weaker than the team that attempted to qualify for USA 94???....Carlton Palmer!
    We've got Carlton Palmer, he smokes marijuana, la la la la
  • Options
    All these players getting injured before the comp starts and Adam Johnson still doesn't get a sniff.....Jagielka for Barry, Henderson maybe for Lampard. England are parking the bus in front of Europe! But we will probably win every game 1-0...........
  • Options
    I don't think we'll make it out the group stage in all honesty. Think we'll get a point against Sweeden and that's it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Agree with 1 Steve,it all smacks of fear & conservatism. Johnson should have been there from the start and who remembers Joe Cole? Had a fab season at Lile.
    He could swear at the French in their own language which would further endear him to me.
  • Options
    P.S. Agree, but not with the winning every game bit.
  • Options
    All these players getting injured before the comp starts and Adam Johnson still doesn't get a sniff.....Jagielka for Barry, Henderson maybe for Lampard. England are parking the bus in front of Europe! But we will probably win every game 1-0...........
    Jumpers for goalposts.....playing in the park til dark....Marvellous.

Don't get me wrong as I am looking forward to the Euros cos I absofrickinglutely love football being on everyday but for the first time in a long time I doubt it will affect me that much when we get dumped after the first round.

• Options
    Allez Le Bleu I'm telling ya get your money will destroy us and go on to win
  • Options
    I'll be in Le Mans, France when England play Sweden. I'll probably watch the game with people of all nationalities, going by previous years. There's usually a fairly "charged" atmosphere, which ups the excitement levels a bit.

Not expecting England to perform well in this competition - I hope people lay off Roy though and give him a chance to get things right.
  • Options
    From that telegraph article

Italy

Massimo Cecchini: Gazzetta dello Sport

There’s a difference between betting and gambling. With the change of manager a few weeks before Euro 2012, England have chosen the latter.

Ah, but what about match fixing? Is that gambling or betting?