Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Euro 2012 thread.

Comments

• Options
    cahill out of the euros...and would you believe it Kelly has been called up. Another Liverpool player!
  • Options
    I hope we start with a Jagielka and Lescott Centre back pairing. They always look good together when they play for England.
  • Options
    Lescott has to start and it's gotta be Jagielka now I agree. Still think it's the centre of midfield where our biggest problems lie despite Cahill's injury
  • Options
    Hope mertons feels like a prick now.
    Would be nice to see Cahill put him out of a major tournament in the future.
  • Options
    Kelly over Richards an absolute joke if I was Micah i'd be voicing my opinions to the press by now.
  • Options
    Richards refused to be on the standby list apparently, as Carrick did.
    He should've been in the initial squad i think, but his disinterest in being on standby left Hodgson with little choice
  • Options
    Richard
    Kelly over Richards an absolute joke if I was Micah i'd be voicing my opinions to the press by now.
    No it's not. Richards said he did not want to be on the standby list, similar to Carrick. Kelly over Rio is a joke but Richards? People need to stop overrating him. Zabaleta preferred RB for City...
  • Options
    Richards isn't overrated, he is England's best Right back by a mile or alot better than Johnson at least.
  • Options
    What are we doing in training? Everyones getting unjuries. Worried it won't stop there.
  • Options
    The lack of expectation could be a good thing, without the injuries I didn't expect much but this could be a good time for Hodgson to bring a few players through slightly earlier than expected and to build his own squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's continue that list; Andy Caroll...oh no, that was just half a good season, 18 months ago. If Holt played for United/City etc he'd bd shoe in, the fact that he doesn't makes his form all the more impressive. I think I'd probably take Sturridge over Wellbeck as well
    I agree about Carroll! just don't think holt is the answer!
  • Options
    What are we doing in training? Everyones getting unjuries. Worried it won't stop there.
    Cahill didn't get injured in training, he was pushed into Joe Hart by some Belgian twat.

• Options

Forget England who will do what they always do. Huff and puff to the 1/4 finals with half the team shagged-out, knackered, suspended or about to appear in a high profile court case.

Instead, why not put a few quid on Russia?

Best manager in the tournament, weak group and biggest budget for bribing officials.

You know it makes sense at 22-1.
  • Options
    Is it me or has Roy Hodgson tried to jam in as many Liverpool players as possible? Surprised he hasn't picked any Baggies players!
    I rest my case............

• Options
    Kelly ? What is it with picking poor Liverpool players
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm hoping the squad selected for the euros and subsequent replacements are purely because hodgson had so little time to get upto speed with the talent available. Otherwise the selections make no sense.
  • Options
    I feel Hodgson is looking at youth, Henderson and Kelly are both very young and IMO he made the right choice! Ferdinand is past it, Richards should never have refused to go on the standby list, same with Carrick.
  • Options
    No objection to youth in fact I wish he had selected young players to begin with. But are Liverpool the only club to have decent young players?
  • Options
    No objection to youth in fact I wish he had selected young players to begin with. But are Liverpool the only club to have decent young players?
    Ok so tell me what other young players out there are overwhelmingly better options? Richards we've already established did not want to be on standby ( a disgrace in itself).
  • Options
    Richards isn't overrated, he is England's best Right back by a mile or alot better than Johnson at least.
    Aside from Kyle Walker, of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree about richards. I don't watch enough premiership football (or championship) to know the pool of players they can pick from. If kelly is the best available option then fine but he only managed 12 games at a club who underperformed (according to their big club status). Just looks like players outside of the 'big' clubs are not being considered.
  • Options
    Agree about richards. I don't watch enough premiership football (or championship) to know the pool of players they can pick from. If kelly is the best available option then fine but he only managed 12 games at a club who underperformed (according to their big club status). Just looks like players outside of the 'big' clubs are not being considered.
    Probably some truth in the big club thing. I personally thought Holt and Leon Britton would be considered more. I also went around telling everyone he'd pick Jerome Thomas since they were together at WBA..... shows how much i know

• Options
    Everyone keeps saying that Downing was picked due to his left foot , what about Danny Sturridge and Ryan Bertrand who are both young and Bertrand even started in the Champions League final!
  • Options
    Everyone keeps saying that Downing was picked due to his left foot , what about Danny Sturridge and Ryan Bertrand who are both young and Bertrand even started in the Champions League final!
    Both great prospects but I guess Sturridge doesn't offer any defensive solidity which Hodgson understandably wants. Sturridge played very high up for Chelsea on the left when AVB was there. When RDM came in though, he struggled to get in the team as they had no place for such an advanced forward. I think Hodgson's England is very similar. Bertrand is a left-back and was effectively just another defender to stop Robben.

• Options
    I think you're right about what Hodgson is trying to do, but we also need to score goals as well as defend otherwise we are going to go out at the group stage. As said by the football ramble England are not good at winning but we are good at glorious defeat and I for one would be fairly happy if we went out fighting against a better team in the semis or even the quarters. There are some exciting prospects in the squad with Oxlade-Chamberlain and Danny Welbeck , but there is also a lot of deadweight there with the likes of Carroll and Downing.
  • Options
    Probably some truth in the big club thing. I personally thought Holt and Leon Britton would be considered more. I also went around telling everyone he'd pick Jerome Thomas since they were together at WBA..... shows how much i know

How do you know how much Hodgson considered them?
  • Options
    England
    Monday 11th Kickoff 5pm (BST) V France
    Friday 15th Kickoff 7.45pm (BST) V Sweden
    Tuesday 19th Kickoff 7.45pm (BST) V Ukraine

Cant see a win there, is it possible to squeeze through with 3 draws?
    I think we could be home on the 20th. Poorest England team of all time, we have many injuries and dont have the quality to replace them.
  • Options
    Had some sympathy for Rio...until I saw who his agent was who was spouting off to all & sundry last night!!
  • Options
    If France beat Sweden and Ukraine, and draw with us, we draw all three games and Sweden and Ukraine draw, then yes we can scrape through on 3 points behind France.
  • Options
    If France beat Sweden and Ukraine, and draw with us, we draw all three games and Sweden and Ukraine draw, then yes we can scrape through on 3 points behind France.
    I think we require a snooker at some point