Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France 2012

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Not as fast as last year? How can anyone possibly tell atm, apart from what's been quoted in the press. He fought for Greipel's wheel, and then sprinted again. Renshaw was nowhere near them, whereas before Greipel would have been fighting for Cav's wheel, who'd be behind Renshaw. I can't imagine even with 4kg less that Sky would let him drop much peak watt output, and indeed he can prob sustain whatever lesser peak output longer.

As for stage wins he might not reach Mercx, possibly might get the sprinter's record.

Team Sky can't support Cav in the finish as the whole team are GC riders, bar B Hagen and Eissel.
  • Options
    Damn, I've just seen that Friday's stage finish is just over the border in Metz and I can't get the day off to go and watch. Grrr.
  • Options
    Cadel @ 22-1 today ;o)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Look out for Charlton flag on last hill today (Mont Lambert) as my brother and his cycle team 'In-Gear' are 20 strong there today.

A little name drop at the bottom of his team page........ http://www.in-gearonline.co.uk/team.php
  • Options
    Lots of crashes today and some big names lost alot of time.
  • Options
    A great finish by Sagan and he even had time to do a Forest Gump impersonation as he crossed the line. Fortunately although Wiggins was caught behind the last crash he didn'yt lose any time but Sky are down one rider and Froom had a lucky escape.

Tomorrow a flat stage from Abbeville-Rouen, a sprint finish should be on the cards and and another chance for Cav to win. I can't see the yellow jersey changing tomorrow.
  • Options
    Unless there is a crash or a good breakaway group that survives all the way to the finish Cancellera should and could remain in yellow for some time.

My prediction for tomorrow is that Cav will win.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    the tourminator. what a prat. starting to dislike sagan.

loved it when cav won the intermediate sprint, just looking over having a right go at the other rider.

did anyone see that BMC rider get hit round the face with a carboard sign? it was on one of the climbs.

think the yellow jersey will stay with cancellera all the way to the mountain stages, unless something dramatic happens.
  • Options
    Look out for Charlton flag on last hill today (Mont Lambert) as my brother and his cycle team 'In-Gear' are 20 strong there today.

A little name drop at the bottom of his team page........ http://www.in-gearonline.co.uk/team.php
    I looked for the flag but did not see it, did anyone else??
  • Options
    Cav would've won that sprint by a mile if he wasn't caught up in that crash. Team Sky really do need to get nearer to front of the peloton as this is the 2nd stage in a row where key team members have been caught up in crashes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair to Sky he had Eisel and EBH with him, and they were 20 off the front.

As far as the course goes, the only thing that makes it particularly dangerous is the riders, and the main thing that would improve the safety of the early stages would be some big hills on day 1, avoiding the circumstance where every bugger thinks he's a GC rider or could pick up a sneaky yellow if he's smart enough. After there's been a bit of a sort-out, then there will no longer be 150 riders all trying to be in the front 20 for the final 20 km. With a flat, TT-less first week you could run the whole thing on motorways and they'd still be hitting the deck with painful frequency.
  • Options
    Sky learned their lesson today even though Cav looked shattered at the line it payed off for them having their riders at the front as they all avoided the crash. I also wanted the breakaway to win but they were so near but yet so far from the finish.

Last bunch finish for a while tomorrow so I expect Cav to give it a good go and win.
  • Options
    Cav didn't seem to have that power at the end did he? Probably part due to the 4kg he's shed in prep for the Olympics and 9 climbs up Box Hill (or is it more?).
  • Options
    he cruised when he won the post break away intermediate sprint. He said he misjudged it on Twitter
  • Options
    The breakaways. Why? I just dont get it.

999 times out of 1,000 they get caught by the Peloton with a couple of km of the finish and they get chucked out the back as soon as they get caught and lose time. Wouldnt they be better off saving themselves in the Peloton and then getting the same time for the GC? I know I'm only watching my 2nd TdF but I just dont understand why they breakaway, literally kill themselves on the front knowing full well that they'll be caught.

Is it an advertising thing for the sponsors?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sponsorship, especially for the French temas like Eurocar and AG2 haven't got the riders to be competitive GC riders, so have 100 Km on the front, couple of hours of advertising on TF1 and Eurosport, and all sorted. Also a chance to get the King of the Mountains and Sprint jerseys int he first week before the real stars get them
  • Options
    anyway, last flat stage today, so last big sprint, and then the mountains tomorrow, before a TT on Monday
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sagan again. Looking like quite a prospect. Getting a bit sick of all the pile-ups now. I'm sure this must the worst year I can remember for them.
    Cost Cav the chance for a stage win after missing out on the intermediate sprint to Goss.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The crash was awful today and Sky got unlucky with Cav being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sagan is going to get green and I reckon he will win many more stages in le tour for many years to come. Its shame as well because some of the riders who would've been challenging for the GC already have a time gap thats to big to make up in the mountains.

The first mountain stage tomorrow which should be good and its the first real indication of who who will be challenging for the yellow jersey.
    The breakaways. Why? I just dont get it.

999 times out of 1,000 they get caught by the Peloton with a couple of km of the finish and they get chucked out the back as soon as they get caught and lose time. Wouldnt they be better off saving themselves in the Peloton and then getting the same time for the GC? I know I'm only watching my 2nd TdF but I just dont understand why they breakaway, literally kill themselves on the front knowing full well that they'll be caught.

Is it an advertising thing for the sponsors?
    Apart from advertising its worth the risk if they don't get caught for the 1 time out of 1,000 and if they aren't really a favourite for the GC. I mean just look at Voeckler last year who broke away and was in the yellow for almost the whole tour and finished 4th in the GC.
  • Options
    Re. breakaways, I always understood that it's a sponsor issue, as well as the "no guts, no glory" aspect of it. Unlikely of success, but will always be commented upon as a brave attempt. Beats simply wheelsucking in the back, which for most is the alternative. Of course, the other viable choice is to work hard for a GC contender, but if you don't have one, why not get out in clean air and give it a go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So who is winning and what's a tt
  • Options
    So who is winning and what's a tt
    TT= Time trail

Fabian Cancellera is winning overall at the moment but that should change today as its a mountainous stage.
  • Options
    Fabian Cancellera is winning the General Classification, purely down to winning the Prologue TT (Time Trial) by 7 seconds. When there is a bunch finish, like there has been on Stages 2-6 so far, the main peloton all get the same finishing time, so as long as all the GC riders are in the main peloton, like Wiggins has been with Cancellera and Cadel Evans, they stay there or there abouts. The GC will only change once they start climbing the mountains.

Peter Sagan is winning the green points jersey (Cav is currently 4th), and Michael Morkov is winning the KOM.
  • Options
    Thankfully today is the mountains, so hopefully it'll be less edgy then it was with the big crash yesterday going down hill on a straight road.
  • Options
    They never actually showed the crash. I saw the aftermath, but not how it happened. i was watching it on eurosport and i guess it must of been the same images as itv4, no replay. Either I missed it or all the french cameras missed it.
    I presume it would of been the usual touching of wheels. Especially as a minute before they were bunched in together. anyone know?
  • Options
    The cameras missed it I think.

There was also a spectator (fat bloke in yellow top) that ended up in the ditch with couple of riders. Maybe he had something to do with it because Miller in interview after was saying something about an idiot but didn't explain further.
  • Options
    Great stage today. Sky team worked their nuts off for Wiggins and Froome got the stage win. Evans really wanted to get a few seconds on Wiggins just to Psych him out.

So, yellow for Wiggins but it won't be a walk in the park.
  • Options
    Froome in the King of the Mountains jersey as well.

Utterly brutal from Sky, destroyed the field, same again tomorrow, and then a big TT from Brad on Monday, and it'll be a long way there
  • Options
    Really enjoying the coverage this year.

Not my sport by any means, but the chance of a Brit winning for the first time has me hooked.

The SKY team were just awesome over that last 6km, breaking just about everyone else in the Pelaton.