Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What makes us English?

edited June 2012 in Not Sports Related
With the recent Jubilee, Olympics on home grounds and the fact that our country are currently being represented in Euro2012, it feels like a very English year. I also watched the most recent Ricky Gervais show ep where they were talking about it with Karl Pilkington!

What makes us English and the unique things about our country?

I think 'Banter', Tea, moaning about weather, great long history, football and being drunk.

There's probably a lot more than that.

I'm more proud to be English than I am not.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    On the whole I am not in favour of nationalism because I feel it is divisive and over the years has caused more problems than it has solved. Having said that, Great Britain is a wonderful place on the whole and I think it's a bit like the NHS in as much as we don't realise what we've got. not sure I'm overly proud to be British but I'm certain I'm not ashamed by it either.
  • Options
    I think quite a few people will tell you everything negative they can about England and the English but let's see how it goes.

• Options
    Hate to say it, I am sure a lot of abuse will swing my way but wouldn't put in terms of 'proud of being English'. No one chooses what country there are born in and I have just been born in England as a off chance.
  • Options
    full english breakfast and then haddock and chips for dinner!
  • Options
    Hate to say it, I am sure a lot of abuse will swing my way but wouldn't put in terms of 'proud of being English'. No one chooses what country there are born in and I have just been born in England as a off chance.
    Can you not emigrate?

• Options
    In no particular order:

The Royal Family
    London and all its monuments
    The Royal Navy and our maritime history
    Full english breakfasts
    Ale and bitter
    Beefeater Gin
    Having a row
    Cups of tea
    Pimms
    Last night at the Proms
    Roast dinners
    Oxford and Cambridge universities
    Bad weather
    Sense of humour
    Politeness
    Shakespeare
    Dickens
    Drake
    Raleigh
    The Beatles

Just a few off the top of my head
  • Options
    Can you not emigrate?

I am not anti England mate just wouldn't say I am proud of it, I am happy to live in this country as it is where my family are based.
  • Options
    I'm more proud to be British...

Fried Breakfast
    Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding
    Cream Tea
    Fish and Chips
    Stiff upper lip
    Punting on the River Cam
    National Anthem
    Last night at the proms
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Grit and determination. Represented quite well by this bloke (No not Gazza):

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Interesting. My dad was scots and my name is about as scottish as you can get, and my mum was born and raised in Burnley of Anglo-Irish parents. They both joined the RAF on the outbreak of WW2, which is how they met. I think of myself as English with other bits. I was born in Norwich, spent my first 18 years in Lincolnshire and after a brief spell in Leicester lived in London for 25 years. I well up when I hear Ralph Vaughan Williams and Elgar, see the white cliffs of dover or the rolling green hills, especially after a spell in a hot dry country, and get p*****d off when Cornish "nationalists" with silly little flags on their cars and in their gardens spout off. I support the English football team, but I also like to see Scotland and the R of Ireland do well, though I don't really give a toss about Wales, probably unfairly, and have a bit of an ambivalent attitude towards flag wavers of any nationality.

I still feel embarassed about the reputation the English have abroad, and thats when I'm most likely to "become" Scottish. But overall I love this country and all the good things it stands for, great sport, great music, great literature, democracy, great countryside and cities, and a generally strong sense of "natural fairness" in the culture. What I don't like is the tendency sometimes to accept authority without too much question., though even this isn't universal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    For me the best things about England arent it's past, but it's present and future. A great music scene, world class cities with amazing nightlife. A growing brewing and distilling scene. A county that remains progressively liberal when other western nations look like they are regressing. World class sport, theatre and entertainment. A capital city which is a major financial and cultural hub.

I dont feel like The Royal Family etc have any relevance to me or my life, they may as well come from another country. The things that I think make England amazing are those which the English will achieve in the future, not relics from their past.
  • Options
    a good queue
  • Options
    I cant say that I am that Nationalistic but I am "proud" to be English.............. I don't think I could live in another country & whenerever I am away on holiday I have to buy an English newspaper just to keep up with things. To me, England is:

The Countryside
    The Heritage - we have buildings older than some countries
    Fish & Chips
    Tea
    The 4 seasons - just compare spring with autumn
    Parliament
    Cricket
    Tradition
    The Language

One thing that really got me just yesterday, was hearing the Tibettan lady (?) who won the Nobel Peace prize 20-odd years ago finally receiving her award and hearing her speak...........in perfect English !! I have no idea who she is/was and whether she perhaps studied over here when she was younger, but she spoke so elequontly is OUR language - no hint of an accent. I don't think any other country commands this respect over its language or history.
  • Options
    Language, literature and sport.
  • Options
    Free museums, London buses and telephones boxes. Pubs, cricket and croquet (never played it but very english), saying 'sorry', holding doors open, queuing and gardens especially roses.
  • Options
    In no particular order:

The Royal Family
    London and all its monuments
    The Royal Navy and our maritime history
    Full english breakfasts
    Ale and bitter
    Beefeater Gin
    Having a row
    Cups of tea
    Pimms
    Last night at the Proms
    Roast dinners
    Oxford and Cambridge universities
    Bad weather
    Sense of humour
    Politeness
    Shakespeare
    Dickens
    Drake
    Raleigh
    The Beatles
    +Charlton
    +Love of dogs
    +Love of under dogs

Just a few off the top of my head
    i agree with all of these but not for making me proud to be english, but proud to be British.
  • Options
    Can't you be proud to be English and proud to be British? English countryside is great, but so is Scotland's, Wales' and Ireland's. The music of Wales, the pragmatism and humour of the Scots, the friendliness of the Irish, all stuff to be proud of as a Brit. All the stuff listed by others I agree with too.
  • Options
    Can I be a Londoner first, English second, and British third?

My view of Englishness depends where I am in the country, London as capital as so different from the rest of the country with its diversity, welcoming to other cultures, as well as its monuments and stunning new buildings.
  • Options
    I'm much like Wheresmeticket in that I was born here but most of my family were born in different countries. My mum was born in London but both her parents (grandparents etc) were all born in Ireland and my dad and all of his family were born in Wales (he couldn't even speak English when he came to live here).
    So although I was born here in London I don't really class myself as English. A south Londoner, but not English. Mixed Irish and British.
  • Options
    Can't you be proud to be English and proud to be British? English countryside is great, but so is Scotland's, Wales' and Ireland's. The music of Wales, the pragmatism and humour of the Scots, the friendliness of the Irish, all stuff to be proud of as a Brit. All the stuff listed by others I agree with too.
    Yes it is possible, but its not something i feel. In the same way I am not Indian, I am neither fully accepted in Englan nor in India so my pride is being a British Asian.

For that reason I support Indian cricket teams touring England and English cricket teams touring India, and always want those teams beat any other cricket team.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is to my surprise turning into a very interesting thread.
  • Options
    I cant say that I am that Nationalistic but I am "proud" to be English.............. I don't think I could live in another country & whenerever I am away on holiday I have to buy an English newspaper just to keep up with things. To me, England is:

The Countryside
    The Heritage - we have buildings older than some countries
    Fish & Chips
    Tea
    The 4 seasons - just compare spring with autumn
    Parliament
    Cricket
    Tradition
    The Language

One thing that really got me just yesterday, was hearing the Tibettan lady (?) who won the Nobel Peace prize 20-odd years ago finally receiving her award and hearing her speak...........in perfect English !! I have no idea who she is/was and whether she perhaps studied over here when she was younger, but she spoke so elequontly is OUR language - no hint of an accent. I don't think any other country commands this respect over its language or history.
    I think you mean Aung San Suu Kyi, who is from Burma. She studied at Oxford and was educated in Methodist English High School in Burma according to Wikipedia.
  • Options
    Living in The Netherlands, I do get irritated by people not queuing for anything, whether it's at the bus stop or in a shop. They also never hold a door open for anyone whatever age they may be and very rarely say sorry. Apart from this I miss decent English grub and pints of Spitfire !! Oh and HILLS.
    Am I proud to be English ? To be honest I've never really given it a thought.
  • Options
    Tolerance -- may be British but could also be said of the English.

The rule of law--democracy-------------- standing up for the under dog

somehow whilst saying we should embrace all other cultures we have never known or understood our own---which is sad.

• Options
    The underdog great one i missed off that list i wrote!
  • Options
    The main thing I am proud of about being English is our great history. We will always have that in our locker.
    Our country certainly isn't perfect for many reasons, but on the balance and in comparison to other places, overall I am at least content and proud about the country I come from.

• Options
    I'll admit I'm an absolute hypocrite on this one.

I philosophically do not even agree with the concept of the nation state. It is a major mechanism which keeps the status quo around the globe where the poor starve whilst the rich feast, causes wars and deaths as arguments over territory escalate and emphasizes difference where in my opinion none exists. I do not think that the quality of my life should be determined by the country of my birth. I would dispose of all national boundaries.

However...

I'm not about to move to a poverty stricken country and live on the streets to make my point. I instinctively gain pleasure when England score a goal, try or run. I want Westwood, Donald and Rose to win golfing majors. I become British when Murray plays tennis. I become European during the Ryder Cup. When in a foreign country I buy the Times and long for the cricket scores. I celebrated the Jubilee and respect the Queen immensely. Hypocritical yes but I can't be any more honest than that.
  • Options
    For me the language is the main thing - and what a wonderfully expressive language it is.
    I think the OP is right about moaning about the weather, because we live in a place where the weather is so variable (and frequently disappointing).
    I very much like Goonerhater's suggestions of tolerance and sticking up for the underdog.
    There are certain institutions that we have that I think are wonderful: CAFC, NHS, BBC, OU, RSPB, The Royal Society, Tate...
    Our beer. There are a few other countries that brew the odd ale, but almost everywhere else it plays second fiddle to tasteless fizzy lager. If you know of a place with a range and quality of proper beers, please let me know.
    English rock/pop music.
  • Options
    If you know of a place with a range and quality of proper beers, please let me know.
    Belgium
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    lager. If you know of a place with a range and quality of proper beers, please let me know.
    Pacific Northwest of the USA/Canada - many, many wonderful beers up in this neck of the woods Stig. Agree that your average punter is hankering for fizzy lager with artificial lime flavour - but for those seeking out something off the beaten track we have countless micro-breweries, even here in the mountains in Alberta where I live in a town of 10,000 peeps we have a great, independent local brewery..

http://www.thegrizzlypaw.com/grizzly-paw-brewery-Beers

and don't get me started on the weather, in the past 10 days we've had tornadoes, floods, 5" of snow & beautiful warm sunshine - am just about to go out for a bit of Mountain Biking - the forecast is

typical!!