Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What makes us English?

Comments

• Options
    It's a bit hard to pick out 'English' attributes rather than 'British' ones, but

Respect, but cynicism for authority,
    - happy (in the main) to cheer the Royals
    - unlikely to have revolution
    - but also unlikely to slavishly follow a leader, it's hard to imagine a Hitler type figure getting mass adulation here

Respect for the rights of the individual, whether freedom of speech or the right to roam

Creativity in the broadest sense, whether science, engineering, pop music, or inventing new sports - a disproportionate number of sports were either invented here, or organised here.

• Options
    Can't improve on some of the posts above - especially Henry's..

I'm English, but was born & lived abroad until I was 9. Would only add that one thing I think is unique to the English is that, with all the good things there are to be proud of, you don't need to jump up & down about it! It's actually smaller countries and/or those with less heritage who more go on about national pride. We don't need to, because it's simply self evident. Maybe that's why overt English pride gets associated with extremists?
  • Options
    Can I be a Londoner first, English second, and British third?
    Agree with this.

All my family are Scottish, only me and my sister have English accents. I definately consider myself to be Scottish rather than English as that is what I am made of and that is the culture I have been brought up with at home. But I also believe I am a product of my enviroment, London, which I love.
  • Options
    Agree with everything Henry Irving said but most of all it's our ability to be conservative but also enjoy ourselves and not conform to one ideal
  • Options
    Henry and IdleHans have nailed it for me. Reflecting those sub-conscious feelings and values back to us is what I think a modern monarchy tries to do. Republicans just don't get it.
  • Options
    Henry and IdleHans have nailed it for me. Reflecting those sub-conscious feelings and values back to us is what I think a modern monarchy tries to do. Republicans just don't get it.
    You're right, I don't get it. Still proud to be English/British though.
  • Options
    My Father was rushed to hospital this morning with pneumonia. In the opposite bed was a wino being visited by another wino. When they said he couldnt have a bottle of vodka he called the Nurse a black bastard. The visiting wino threatened to bring in a shotgun and shoot all the nig nogs. The hospitalised wino got out of bed [ iv drip pulled out and blood everywhere] his nappy slipping down his legs to the floor and started singing some strange ditty about the cross of st george. Makes you proud!!
  • Options
    My Father was rushed to hospital this morning with pneumonia. In the opposite bed was a wino being visited by another wino. When they said he couldnt have a bottle of vodka he called the Nurse a black bastard. The visiting wino threatened to bring in a shotgun and shoot all the nig nogs. The hospitalised wino got out of bed [ iv drip pulled out and blood everywhere] his nappy slipping down his legs to the floor and started singing some strange ditty about the cross of st george. Makes you proud!!
    Actually it does make me proud. Here are two people who, for whatever reasons, live outside the norms of our society and inhabit its fringes. But we still have a place for them when they need it in the NHS, and the black nurses and medics will continue to treat them despite the vile abuse they receive. I reckon that's pretty impressive, long live our attitudes and our NHS.
  • Options
    Well said SA.

• Options
    Very sorry to hear that about your dad, I hope he recovers and is back at home very soon. I also hope he doesn't have to put up with the pond life opposite for to long as well.

Did anyone call the police? That sort of behaviour is against the law and decent honest people doing their jobs shouldn't have to put up with that type of crap.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Long live te NHS indeed. Cannot agree about the rest. Too much time and energy spent caring fr ungrateful sods who think the world owes them a living. My old man worked for 54 years paying taxes so these lazy sods can sit in the park and drink the day away. As far as Im concerned their taking up bed space that can be better used by a sick person. Paint that any way you want. The doctors and nurses are not paid to be subjected to racial abuse by these lowlife.
  • Options
    Masicat, sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he's ok soon
  • Options
    Thanks mate.
  • Options

...And the literature that it produces. Betjemin, Billy Shakes, Orwell, Waugh and a thousand more...
    What about your fellow Bromleyite HG Wells?
    Sorry to be 'difficult' but 'George Orwell' ( Eric Blair) was born in India, although he did come to England when he was very young. He did die in UCH London. If we can 'adopt' people, can I claim Jimi Hendrix, who 'we' discovered and he died here as well.........Well, if we are going to claim the Bee Gees as 'English' (born in the isle of man). For as Jimi once wrote if a 6 turns out to be 9, I don't mind.......

• Options
    Undefeated at Plastic chair throwing contests all over Europe.
  • Options

...And the literature that it produces. Betjemin, Billy Shakes, Orwell, Waugh and a thousand more...
    Sorry to be 'difficult' but 'George Orwell' ( Eric Blair) was born in India, although he did come to England when he was very young. He did die in UCH London. If we can 'adopt' people, can I claim Jimi Hendrix, who 'we' discovered and he died here as well.........Well, if we are going to claim the Bee Gees as 'English' (born in the isle of man). For as Jimi once wrote if a 6 turns out to be 9, I don't mind.......

Bee Gees - born in Isle of Man to two English parents. English enough for me!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    As one famous Englishman once said

"if you're born in a stable it doesn't make you a horse"
  • Options
    Agree with everything Henry Irving said but most of all it's our ability to be conservative but also enjoy ourselves and not conform to one ideal

That and not trusting foreigners!
  • Options

1. Crap climate
    2. Yobs (and tolerance of)
    3. Confusing car boot sales with culture.
    4. Obsession with houses, homes, home improvements, DIY and related (boring) subjects.
    5. Confusing 4 with culture
    6. Moaning (usually about 1 or 2)
    7. Delusions of grandeur (see previous posts)
    8. Obsession with the past (in particular WW2) (see 7 )
    9. Very poor (or very expensive) education system. (see 10 and 12)
    10. Inability to speak second language (see 7 and 9)
    11. Third world public transport system
    12. Class legacy and polarised / non-mobile society (see 9)

• Options

1. Crap climate
    4. Obsession with houses, homes, home improvements, DIY and related (boring) subjects.

13. Lists (see above)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What makes us English?

Being the only nation constantly asked to define and/or justify ourselves.
  • Options
    I'm proud that we strive to improve medicine and technology...

For such a small country of so relatively few inhabitants we have produced some of the finest scientists, mathemations and engineers. We have created drugs and medical procedures that save and improve the quality of life, and we strive to create more...

We have designed and.developed bridges, cars, planes and trains that have changed the world.

• Options

1. Crap climate

Particuarly 8 ! They way some people go on about it you'd think the war only finished a couple of weeks ago and/or they fought a pivotal role in securing victory.

The past is important in shaping the future, but it shouldn't dominate it.
  • Options

George Orwell was English, regardless of where he was born, so was Colin Cowdrey and my dad. John McEnroe is American not German.
  • Options
    Welcome back Daggs.

Shame you had to be so negative and make a unfounded statement such as "only nation constantly asked justify ourselves" when nearly all the other posts were celebrating the positive aspects of Englishness. But I guess such positive affirmations of England don't fit your "poor down trodden England" rhetoric.
  • Options
    Don't get excited Henry i won't be staying.
    I've never described England as 'poor downtrodden' That's your words.
    England is the only country whose population are told 'The English nation does not exist' (Charles Kennedy)
    Politicians in Westminster refuse to use the word England or English when discussing apolicy or issue that affects only England.
    The English are told expressing their identity is racist. (Jack Straw)
    English students are the only students throughout the EU who are charged £9000/year to study at university.
    English pensioners, unlike Scottish pensioners are forced to sell their homes to pay for care.
    In the DisUnited Kingdom only the English pay a prescription charge/Dental check-up/eye-test fee.
    When Westminster introduces legislation applicable to England only. It allows MP's from the whole of the DisUnited Kingdom to vote on it.
    England the only country in Europe with no Government of it's own.
    I call that Democratically disadvantaged. You call it downtrodden !
    I've never heard anyone ask a Scot. What makes you Scottish. Ditto the Welsh, Irish,French.German (i could go on, but won't)
    It's only the English who are asked to prove who they are. You, like most of those on the Left are in denial. Though surprisingly Milliband recognised the problem recently. He of course did not offer a solution.
  • Options
    What a shame about all the cliche "leftie, in denial" insults but I guess moaning is very English.

A lot of people, including me would agree with you if you weren't always so damn negative ans woe is us.

Get the chip off your shoulder Daggs and do something about the BNP infiltration of your English Democrats Party.

• Options
    Is this a history lesson - what made us English ? or a now conversation - what makes us English ?

Quote as much ancestry as you like but I consider myself English even if enslaved great great great great uncle Bob was descended from a Roman. I'm sorry about that but there you go.

This is why, back to my point, I will support England when they play against Scotland, Wales, France or Ukraine. Again, apologies if it goes against any one else's desire for a sweeping British identity. I do of course hope to see Team GB beat Team USA in the Olympics.

• Options
    How can an Englishman not be negative about what is being done to England (indeed has been done since Devolution in 1998) ?

Don't waste your time trying to taint me with the far-right tag. I resigned my membership of the English Democrats when i heard about the BNP recruitments.
    Though quite why i'm justifying myself to you..............i don't know.
  • Options

George Orwell was English, regardless of where he was born, so was Colin Cowdrey and my dad. John McEnroe is American not German.
    I was being very 'tongue in cheek' . If you have read the works of the great man, who I regard as the greatest writer of the 20th century, you will know he was critical of most forms of authority. Not only in Animal farm which he wrote when ill on the scottish isle of Jura, but in the road to Wigan Pier, Burmese days, and Homage to Catalonia, and the wonderful 'Coming up for air' a major part of the book , being about 'nostalgia' and re-examination of his trip down memory lane, set against the second world war, and England. Of course he was one of us, he was a romantic patriot, he had a vision of the future, not always right, but above all he had a love for the individual, against the state. As you write it is what is in your heart, not an accident of where you were born. By the way my grandfather knew him while fighting in the Spanish civil war, against Fascism.