Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What makes us English?

Comments

• Options
    The fact that our language is worldwide makes travelling abroad very convenient. People would argue it makes us lazy in that sense.

I was annoyed when I viewed my original post and it was not spot on in English grammar.
    I write blogs sometimes it's a bit of a pride thing.

• Options
    the history
  • Options
    Our musical history is arguably the greatest in the world:

The Beatles
    Queen
    Bee Gees
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    Oasis
    Pink Floyd

The list goes on...No other country outside of and maybe even including America can be as proud as their musical heritage as we are considering how small our island is.
  • Options
    Our musical history is arguably the greatest in the world:

The Beatles
    Queen
    Bee Gees
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    Oasis
    Pink Floyd

The list goes on...No other country outside of and maybe even including America can be as proud as their musical heritage as we are considering how small our island is.
    What about Belgium?
  • Options
    Some of this can, and should apply to Britain as well as England but here goes.

Our language, adaptable and ever changing, like the country always willing to take on new ideas, words, people. The rules move to cope with the current reality.

And the literature that it produces. Betjemin, Billy Shakes, Orwell, Waugh and a thousand more.

The love of the old, of history and tradition but without being tied down by it. As SE9Addick said the future is as exciting as the past.

The tolerance and acceptance. Isambard Kingdom Brunel was the son of a French engineer but he was still voted no 2 in the list of all time Great Britons. For most being English and/or British is more a state of mind than a test of racial purity.

And the winner of 100 great Britons was half American while Cromwell, Darwin, Newton Johnny Rotten and The Queen also made the list.

The dislike of extremes and the sense of fair play for the outsider or the different, even if you personally don't agree with them.

The fact that our culture and history is not linked to one event or person but is ever changing yet changeless

Test Match Special

The NHS and the BBC

Rock music, let's be honest it's really just us (GB and Ireland) and the North Americans.

That we are conservative (with a small c) but not conformist. We don't all have to dress the same and we invent the most distinctive fashions and youth tribes. We have fantastic designers and architects renown the world over.

Inventing sports and not being as good at them as we think we should.

Parliamentary democracy

Self-deprecating/Gallows humour

Comedians

That we are both Cavaliers and Roundheads at the same time. Fun loving, drinking, flash but also serious, hard-working and standing on principal.

Clubs,societies and associations. We love them and nearly everyone has an affiliation to one in some form or another even if it just Charlton Life ; - )

• Options
    In terms of popularity you can include Coldplay and the Arctic monkeys to that list. Coldplay are a great band and are loved worldwide.
  • Options
    Old English radishes. Not the non peppery foreign sort ;0)
  • Options
    Can I be a Londoner first, English second, and British third?

My view of Englishness depends where I am in the country, London as capital as so different from the rest of the country with its diversity, welcoming to other cultures, as well as its monuments and stunning new buildings.
    I'm with you Rothko. I think its possible to be all three and feel more of one depending on where you happen to be.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Brilliant post Henry. I can't improve on that list.
  • Options
    I came back over ere on Friday and had a family bash last night for my 40th. For the first time ever I can remember both my mum's, and dad's side of the family were under the one roof.

My dad's side ( english) SAT around chatting and drinking, eating and catching up.

My mum's side( Irish) were on the dance floor and running around without a care in the world!

That to me is the difference!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton, no other place in the world has a Charlton.
    To be honest I just like my little bit of the world Bromley to the Thames.
  • Options
    Ability to laugh at ourselves.
  • Options
    I would add that NOT having a clearly defined sense of what makes us what we are is, in its way, also a defining characteristic. We are not slavish followers of a flag or a leader, and the wide variety of backgrounds and origins of the people who make up the modern English/British population means that Englishness/Britishness will be defined 100 different ways by 100 different people. It's a fluid, evolving thing that connects us by the overlap of commonly held ideas and values, not dogmas or intolerance. Because of that, it will necessarily be very difficult to define.
  • Options

One thing that really got me just yesterday, was hearing the Tibettan lady (?) who won the Nobel Peace prize 20-odd years ago finally receiving her award and hearing her speak...........in perfect English !! I have no idea who she is/was and whether she perhaps studied over here when she was younger, but she spoke so elequontly is OUR language - no hint of an accent. I don't think any other country commands this respect over its language or history.
    Ang San Suu Kyi - Burmese peace activist.

She did the Reith Lecture last year:

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFLiCb359Rs
    Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIs2k8O8ZU

• Options
    I would add that NOT having a clearly defined sense of what makes us what we are is, in its way, also a defining characteristic. We are not slavish followers of a flag or a leader, and the wide variety of backgrounds and origins of the people who make up the modern English/British population means that Englishness/Britishness will be defined 100 different ways by 100 different people. It's a fluid, evolving thing that connects us by the overlap of commonly held ideas and values, not dogmas or intolerance. Because of that, it will necessarily be very difficult to define.
    spot on

• Options
    I could not be prouder of my English & British identity. I strongly believe that I am no better or superior than anyone from anywhere else. I regularly well up with pride over the slightest of things, in the right hands a sense of national identity is a wonderful thing and this year I am prouder than ever.

We have our problems but god do I love my country, from Elgar's Enigma Variation to Billy Braggs Between the Wars I would not change a thing
  • Options
    Proud to be English and as much as things change throughout the country that will never change.

Things to be proud of.

Politeness of most
    Equalness of males and females
    Royal navy
    Pub lunches ;)
    Many more but too early in the morning to reel them off
  • Options

...And the literature that it produces. Betjemin, Billy Shakes, Orwell, Waugh and a thousand more...
    What about your fellow Bromleyite HG Wells?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Florence Nightinglae
    The Pankhursts
    Beatrix Potter
    Aphra Benn
    Mary Wollstonecraft
    Jane Austen
    Grace Darling
    Seaside Landladies
    Women's Institute
    Jam
    Stilton
  • Options
    What does England mean to me?
    My imperfect home in a tempestuous sea
    Much derided by all around
    But relied upon when the chips are down
    A weight of history may hold us back
    But we invent, we lead, we still have the knack
    I was moulded by England and when I die
    I will never have to question why.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strange that some people have said they don't feel a great pride simply because it was by chance that they came to be born and raised in this country.

Is this not the same with your Football team too? Are you not proud to be Charlton fans? When you could have very easily been born the other side of the country and be a Sunderland, Manchester City, Everton supporter?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Sorry, I forgot to mention greasy spoons - don't get em anywhere else, so I guess that makes us English.

Truly wonderful on a Saturday morning.
  • Options
    The caffs, not the item of cutlery.
  • Options
    All this Britishness is going to cause people confusion when England play Scotland next year and the 6 nations must also be hard work for some.

I don't imagine those in Wales or Scotland consider themselves British over their actual nationality - but I guess that is what uniquely makes us English.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    All this Britishness is going to cause people confusion when England play Scotland next year and the 6 nations must also be hard work for some.

I don't imagine those in Wales or Scotland consider themselves British over their actual nationality - but I guess that is what uniquely makes us English.
    Why?

Oh and why?

I know plenty of Welsh and Scots who consider themselves British. Let us not forget that the Welsh are descendants of British Tribes and that the words Wales and Welsh are old English Words meaning foreigner or outsider. So coined by the Germanic hoards of Angles, Saxons and Jutes who invaded the British Isles and from whom most of the English people are descended.

Oh and whilst we are on that subject the Scots of course are descended from the Scottii tribe who originated in Ireland. Or of course British tribal groups who lived in southern Scotland such as the Votadini or indeed the Pictish tribes (so called by the Romans because of their painted skin) who occupied central and part of Northern Scotland.

http://www.dot-domesday.me.uk/tribes.htm#caled

Confused?

That's why I really think that Patrotism is great but Nationalism is both confusing and corrosive. I embrace that Scots and Welsh feel pride in their Scottish and Welshness. I worry about the emotions that are stirred by Nationalism.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'd just leave it - look at his previous posts in this thread. Having predicted a load of negativity, he's gone on to provide it :0)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited June 2012
    People and the nation are complex and we are all different. Any consideration of Englishness / Britishness needs to accept and accomodate that for a definition to work. For origins of the country read Bernard Cornwall, From King Arthur, Uthred - Viking series of books and Sharpe. It gives a really good sense of the formation of the country.

My Dad's Welsh and my mum's English and Irish. I am British born in South London. If I am in Ireland and Wales, the Irish and Welsh treat me like I am English. I don't feel Irish or Welsh. I am British and South London and proud of that.

• Options
    Lots of excellent contributions on the thread.

For me Englishness / Britishness is a sense of fair play and decency. (When fighting the French in the 100 years war, British / English forces under Wellington paid locals for food / supplies where the French raided them).

Excellent fighting spirit particularly when up against tough odds. Proud, tough, resilient and strong people. Courage and fortitude to fight for beliefs and values.

Standing up for the underdog and bullies and against general tyranny. Eg World War 2 against the Nazis and coming into the war on the side of Poland.

An excellent sense of community in a crisis / national events.

Great Engineers / crafts and creativity / pioneers with technology. (Industrial revolution and the first computers and the codebreakers at Bletchely, genetics etc). A sense of openess when dealing with innovation and excellence around the world. England is a trading nation and trades excellently throughout the word as it is open to other ideas and cultures.

Sometimes loses a sense of its own culture and identity, but a sense of Englishness / Britishness always prevails. It works best when taking the best of things and people from other cultures and integrating that.

A great language which when finding a word adopts it and makes it part of the language (German will run words together to make on great big word, and French tries to stop words from another language getting into the language).

I am proud of the people in the county but quite often not of some of the governments and their actions that appears to be counter productive for general well being.

Lions that are sometimes / quite often led by Donkeys. First world war is a prime example of that.

An ability to laugh at themselves and an excellent sense of humour. Great music and culture. Acceptance of mavericks and a bit of eccentricity.

We also gave the world football.
  • Options
    Things that make us English:

Bad teeth
    Fat ugly pigs for wives
    Finding men dressed as woman hilarious
    Alcoholism
    Chain smokers
    Jumper wearers
    Tea drinkers
    All live in castles

• Options