Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tuesday 7.45pm - England v Ukraine - Preview / Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    seriously, the amount of crap in terms of bad luck we've had to endure in previous tournaments who cares about the offside Uke's goal.

this is a results business and believe me we can get a result against Italy.

Cole, Gerrard, Lescott & Terry were good tonight.

we have weaknesses. Young doesn't give Cole enough protection and our right side of Milner/Johnson will be exploited by a decent side.

we've just beaten a side playing at home who had to win. few hairy moments but we've come through it.

roll on Sunday.
  • Options
    I'll ask again... What is that man doing behind the goal!?
    Not really fair. The ball was about 2mm over the line & travelling at pace. The human eye will never allow the man behind the goal to give the correct decision in those circumstances. It will just be guesswork. The only solution is to bring in goal line technology.
  • Options
    We'll get mullered by the Italians, better defensively, have enough up top to cause us a lot of problems. Would rather of had Spain to be honest
    All due respect Sam but that's utter cobblers. End of.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Sure we won't win it BUT this is a team as opposed to a group of individuals and we have numerous reasons to be optimistic:

Rooney getting fitter and sharper, his partnership with Welbeck is developing nicely.
    Parker looks like the missing piece of the jigsaw in midfield
    Gerrard playing some of his best football for England
    No Barry to slow things down, Lampard injury has also ensured the CM picks itself.
    Lescott and Terry looking solid, Ashley Cole also having a good tournament
    Hart, although he'd had a couple of moments, still tbe best English GK since Seaman in 98
    Good variety of options from the bench.

Tonight we got the job done, simple. Wasn't pretty but reminded me a little of one or two Charlton performances last season more so in the second half. Got the goal and soaked up the pressure.

Fancy us to give Italy a real good game and they have not really impressed me so far, Chellini (sp) injured so their even weaker at the back aswell.
  • Options
    A spectacular defensive display.Roy got this spot on.
    Have to say I was sceptical of his appointment and am so pleased he is proving me wrong. Done so well even to get this far. So used to England sides of late underachieving. Whilst not pretty this side is definitley punching above what I thought we would.

Well done Roy and well done England.
  • Options
    "we were rubbish" blah blah blah

Yep just like Charlton will blow it after Christmas, Chelsea will get stuffed by Bayern, England wont get out the group, oh hang on none of that happened!

Come on England.....
  • Options
    Not really fair. The ball was about 2mm over the line & travelling at pace. The human eye will never allow the man behind the goal to give the correct decision in those circumstances. It will just be guesswork. The only solution is to bring in goal line technology.
    Agreed. But It's not just this match that they seem to miss obvious decisions! On a related note does anybody know if they can make any decisions other than whether or not the ball crosses the line?
  • Options
    Parker... Cracker, ran his socks off, broke up play, put his head in.
  • Options
    Agreed. But It's not just this match that they seem to miss obvious decisions! On a related note does anybody know if they can make any decisions other than whether or not the ball crosses the line?
    Yes they can and do. I find it annoying when the likes of Chiles and Lawrenson claim they've never seen them make a decision. That's the point, you won't see them make a decision as they just press a button on their stick to notify the ref.

• Options
    Yes they can and do. I find it annoying when the likes of Chiles and Lawrenson claim they've never seen them make a decision. That's the point, you won't see them make a decision as they just press a button on their stick to notify the ref.

Cheers. I still think they're a poor alternative to goal line technology!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    comfortable really against a wank side

we're making the most of not the greatest bunch, fairplay hodgson and co

italy were pony against ireland the other night and can see it being a tight fixture, if we're gonna win the tourney we're gonna need some of the donald that chelsea used last season , i think we'll need 2 maybe 3 penalty shoot outs to do it

winners 10% runners up20% losing semis 50% losing 1/4s 20%
  • Options
    Or to just not care and enjoy the fact that it's not all squeaky clean and clinical.
  • Options
    comfortable really against a wank side

we're making the most of not the greatest bunch, fairplay hodgson and co

italy were pony against ireland the other night and can see it being a tight fixture, if we're gonna win the tourney we're gonna need some of the donald that chelsea used last season , i think we'll need 2 maybe 3 penalty shoot outs to do it

winners 10% runners up20% losing semis 50% losing 1/4s 20%
    Losing Quarters 20% ? that's the most optimistic i have ever seen you. The bookies wont agree with that.
  • Options
    Good result and we've given ourselves a fighting chance against the Italians.

Still think Welbeck and Milner need to be dropped, they offer nothing. Glen Johnson, also pony once again.
  • Options
    We'll get mullered by the Italians, better defensively, have enough up top to cause us a lot of problems. Would rather of had Spain to be honest
    No. I agree with Sam.

• Options
    edited June 2012

No. I agree with Sam.

I'm pleased for you.

You want to play Spain instead of Italy. That makes sense ....
  • Options

No. I agree with Sam.

I'm pleased for you.
    Cheers :0)

• Options
    come on beds you gotta open your eyes i was bullish charlton most of the season but i suppose i can't make the blind see
  • Options
    Good to see England build an effective unit out of limited resources as opposed to a team of individuals no matter how talented they may have been...

....and that's from a Scotland supporter !

I think England have a good chance against Italy whilst they would have had practically no chance against Spain.
  • Options
    come on beds you gotta open your eyes i was bullish charlton most of the season but i suppose i can't make the blind see
    I was more referring to you negativity about our away support not the team performance but i don't want to open that boring old can of worms again.
    I hope your right with your Euro 2012 percentages.
    At the moment the bookies have Italy AND England at 15-8 to win the quarter final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see England build an effective unit out of limited resources as opposed to a team of individuals no matter how talented they may have been...

....and that's from a Scotland supporter ! I think England have a good chance against Italy whilst they would have had practically no chance against Spain.
    Play like they did tonight, they'd have no chance against either

• Options
    this could turn out to be one hell of a year... so glad im alive in 2012!

I LOVE IT :~)
  • Options
    ok beds understand ... i say it how i see it and it doesn't always make pretty reading

i was stupid enough to back england to win it at 10s when the qualifiers started lol
  • Options
    Should actually be a facinating game. England will set up exactly as they did tonight and hope for a set piece. Italy will dominate possession but unlike Ukraine I think they have in Di Natale a striker who scores goals. My real fear for England is if they go a goal down I can't see them having enough about hem going forward to pull it back against a good defensive set up like Italy. My prediction is Italy 2 - England 0
  • Options
    One good thing is that come Sunday evening we will be one of only 5 teams left in the competition. who'd have thunk it?
  • Options
    Why is that? Croatia vs Spain, the Spanish looked shaky when hit on the break and took them 88 minutes to score, and we beat them recently ;-)

The Italians are like us, written off in the press before the competition, playing unattractive football but getting the job done. The Italians would break our attacks up very easily and look to work the ball quickly up the field, which is something we struggle against. The Spaniards will camp out on the edge of our box, something we can cope with as demonstrated by the Spain win and the Barcelona vs Chelsea match.

Everyone creams themselves over Spain but imo they will be easier to get a result against compared to Italy.

Either way to win the competition you have to beat the best and both Italy and Spain are tremendous opponents
  • Options
    Two bullish defensive teams.Neither giving an inch.

Expect a 4-4 draw and a very nervy penalty shootout then
  • Options
    One good thing is that come Sunday evening we will be one of only 5 teams left in the competition. who'd have thunk it?
    "Thunk". Is that Biggleswade dialect?
  • Options

....and that's from a Scotland supporter ! I think England have a good chance against Italy whilst they would have had practically no chance against Spain.
    Play like they did tonight, they'd have no chance against either

I don't think Italy are amazing, good yes and England will need to be at the top of their game but I think England were fairly solid tonight and that's what they'll need to be.

Not sure what people were expecting really.
  • Options
    Outplayed for long spells, making a poor team look good, nick a goal and win the game. Where have we seen that before?