Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Getting through Dublin Murders - was confused for a bit - but read someone on here's explanation which helped. Feel like it's gone on a bit of a tangent now with the focus being her as Lexie in the house of students but understand why as it's 2 books merged into one so probably going to watch tonight after the match the 7th episode which I hope goes back more on Katy's murder investigation. 
  • Getting through Dublin Murders - was confused for a bit - but read someone on here's explanation which helped. Feel like it's gone on a bit of a tangent now with the focus being her as Lexie in the house of students but understand why as it's 2 books merged into one so probably going to watch tonight after the match the 7th episode which I hope goes back more on Katy's murder investigation. 
    gave up after 4 episodes.
  • is there a way o to watch Chernobyl without sky ?

Is it on any other platform ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    is there a way o to watch Chernobyl without sky ?

You can get it on Prime for an additional tenner. Want to watch it but bulking at that price.
  • MrOneLung said:

Free 7 day trial with now tv?
    If not you're limited to streaming websites.
  • MrOneLung said:

Now TV (yep, It's really Sky)
    you can buy a stick with a month or 2 entertainment pass quite cheap at the mo
  • The Sinner .. BBC4 Saturdays .. second round of the psychological detective series .. always interesting
     Bill Pulman's looking old (then again I suppose we all are) and he doesn't quite look all there. Has he had an illness or something...?
    He is 65, so I would think his looks are par for the years .. as said, the beard ages him .. coincidence that he shares a surname with the author of the other hot topic 'His Dark Materials'
  • In case there is still any regular on here who has been even more tardy than me in getting round to Chernobyl, I can only say that all the praise you have read on here and elsewhere is richly deserved. I finished it in five nights which i don't normally do, and despite approaching each episode with a feeling of dread because the first episode in particular is a harrowing watch. It would be brilliant if it was just drama but the edge comes from it being a true story, much of which has been withheld from the world, for reasons the series also explains. On every dimension, the casting, the meticulous re-creation of Soviet era, the decision not to mess with phoney foreign accents, the vast re-creation of that dreadful scene, the inspired choice of an Icelandic composer for the music, it is film-making of the very highest quality, and you wonder whether nowadays the BBC could take on such a topic and do it justice. 

There are of course controversies about its historic veracity, but then of course Cressida Dick thinks "Bodyguard" was all bullshit too.
    How did your Czech friends find it Prague? I'm only asking as my Slovakian sister in law refused to watch it as the subject matter was a little too close to home.
  • Watched the  latest season of the Crown on Netflix over the last few days. On the whole very good albeit with a couple of dullish episodes. The fellah who played Phil the Greek absolutely nailed it. Mannerisms down to an absolute tee. 

War of the Worlds remake on the beeb. Lasted until ten minutes into episode 2. Really dull CGI fest with endless shots of Rafe Spall gazing into the sky in bewilderment. 
  • The Sinner .. BBC4 Saturdays .. second round of the psychological detective series .. always interesting
     Bill Pulman's looking old (then again I suppose we all are) and he doesn't quite look all there. Has he had an illness or something...?
    He is 65, so I would think his looks are par for the years .. as said, the beard ages him .. coincidence that he shares a surname with the author of the other hot topic 'His Dark Materials'
    Yeah but the issue is that he’s looked 65 since he was about 45. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

You can get it on Prime for an additional tenner. Want to watch it but bulking at that price.
    think will wait till it’s free on amazon or Netflix

or maybe rock up on sky one 
  • Just started World on Fire really enjoying it at the moment
  • In case there is still any regular on here who has been even more tardy than me in getting round to Chernobyl, I can only say that all the praise you have read on here and elsewhere is richly deserved. I finished it in five nights which i don't normally do, and despite approaching each episode with a feeling of dread because the first episode in particular is a harrowing watch. It would be brilliant if it was just drama but the edge comes from it being a true story, much of which has been withheld from the world, for reasons the series also explains. On every dimension, the casting, the meticulous re-creation of Soviet era, the decision not to mess with phoney foreign accents, the vast re-creation of that dreadful scene, the inspired choice of an Icelandic composer for the music, it is film-making of the very highest quality, and you wonder whether nowadays the BBC could take on such a topic and do it justice. 

There are of course controversies about its historic veracity, but then of course Cressida Dick thinks "Bodyguard" was all bullshit too.
    How did your Czech friends find it Prague? I'm only asking as my Slovakian sister in law refused to watch it as the subject matter was a little too close to home.
    Well that is exactly my wife's attitude too. We (Brits) can hardly believe what we see, the cover-up, the arrogance of senior people, the incompetence of those who are in senior positions ony because of their loyalty to the Party...but they are all too familiar with it,and don't want to go back there, even on TV.

The under 30s are more able to appreciate it without suffering personal flashbacks, naturally.
  • MrOneLung said:

I took it off Pirate Bay. All too often it's the fastest solution. Particularly annoying when you have to use that for BBC series...
  • Has anyone watched the third series of Sneaky Pete? Felt the second series ran out of steam and not sure whether to keep watching.

Out of date I know but enjoyed both series of Jack Ryan. Also the Leeds documentary.
  • edited November 2019
    Has anyone watched the third series of Sneaky Pete? Felt the second series ran out of steam and not sure whether to keep watching.

Out of date I know but enjoyed both series of Jack Ryan. Also the Leeds documentary.
    I loved season one of Jack Ryan and had been looking forward to season two for months before reading a lot of reviews saying it's gone significantly downhill compared to season one. I'm currently watching Boardwalk Empire season one so I probably won't get around to watching Jack Ryan any time soon. 

Last weekend I watched an 8-episode Amazon series "Modern Love" and loved it very much. Each episode is an individual little story based on the New York Times column Modern Love. It has a great cast including Anne Hathaway, Andy Garcia, Tina Fey, Andrew Scott, Olivia Cooke. It is probably more for the female audience and not everyone will like it. But I must say I found it so touching and I haven't cried as much watching a film or TV series for a long time.
  • Started watching I-Land on Netflix the last week, I imagine its a bit like lost... although I have never seen it! 10 people turn up on a desert island with no memory. I quite like it, there is a bit of mystery involved and its not very predictable which is good.

Well that is exactly my wife's attitude too. We (Brits) can hardly believe what we see, the cover-up, the arrogance of senior people, the incompetence of those who are in senior positions ony because of their loyalty to the Party...but they are all too familiar with it,and don't want to go back there, even on TV.

The under 30s are more able to appreciate it without suffering personal flashbacks, naturally.
    That's an interesting point about differing generational attitudes. Btw I'm watching the Crown at the moment and the Aberfan episode highlights that this country wasn't immune from cover ups, incompetence and cronyism either.
  • Jessie said:
    Has anyone watched the third series of Sneaky Pete? Felt the second series ran out of steam and not sure whether to keep watching.

I loved season one of Jack Ryan and had been looking forward to season two for months before reading a lot of reviews saying it's gone significantly downhill compared to season one. I'm currently watching Boardwalk Empire season one so I probably won't get around to watching Jack Ryan any time soon. 

Last weekend I watched an 8-episode Amazon series "Modern Love" and loved it very much. Each episode is an individual little story based on the New York Times column Modern Love. It has a great cast including Anne Hathaway, Andy Garcia, Tina Fey, Andrew Scott, Olivia Cooke. It is probably more for the female audience and not everyone will like it. But I must say I found it so touching and I haven't cried as much watching a film or TV series for a long time.
    Jack Ryan Season 2 was watchable Jessie, as with most shows on TV and films for that matter, nothing is quite as good as the first one. Enjoy Boardwalk, I complete the set and it was very good.
  • Jessie said:

Jack Ryan Season 2 was watchable Jessie, as with most shows on TV and films for that matter, nothing is quite as good as the first one. Enjoy Boardwalk, I complete the set and it was very good.
    Thanks Mike. I'll watch it when I finish Boardwalk Empire.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a couple of years old, but I watched the Japanese series Re-Mind on Netflix. An intriguing premise – a group of female classmates awake on their graduation day to find themselves seated around a table in a Baroque room with their feet stuck in wooden clamps. An alarm clock rings, the lights go out, and when they come back on, one of the girls has gone...
  • Any Phillip Pullman fans watching the 'His Dark Materials' adaptation on BBC/HBO? What are your thoughts?

I really love the books so I was nervous they might make a dogs dinner of the source material like the dire film did. They're messing around with the timelines a little bit, but I think they seem to be capturing the essence of each character much better. It's been a bit slow starting, as these epic HBO series often are, but I felt it kicked into gear last night with the arrivals of Iorek Byrnison and Lee Scorsby.

One of my favourites of all time and I recently re-read the trilogy for the nth time. I think they’re making a really good job of it. Ruth Wilson is a great piece of casting (though maybe obvious after Luther!) Lyra is well cast too, I just hope they get it right with Will later on.

Best TV of the decade imho, after Game of Thrones went a bit off-course in the final series. Mad to think it's made by the same guy as 'The Hangover' - a real chalk and cheese resume that one. If you haven't listened to the accompanying podcast, it's well worth a listen. Just don't listen ahead of the shows as each episode of the podcast deals with the corresponding TV episode and is spoiler-tastic.

I have a Czech friend who grew up under communism. He won't watch it for the same reason.
  • Agree on Chernobyl, particularly the casting.  First rate.

Mystery of the year - why put The Sinner (excellent) on BBC4 yet give prime time on BBC1 Sunday to War of the Worlds? Three hours of my life I shall never get back. The final 10 minutes....beggars belief how turgid that was. 
  • His dark materials is really good.
  • Watched the first couple of episodes of Modern Love this week. It's an enjoyable show and it gets the wife off my back (I choose too many 'men's dramas' apparently).
  • Really struggling with His Dark Materials

Not much happening and cant get invested in the main character.
  • edited December 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Really struggling with His Dark Materials

Not much happening and cant get invested in the main character.
    If you are struggling read the books. Superb dramatisation of a tricky concept, and doesn't seem to suffer from recent BBC poor sound editing.  Perhaps the series and books don't explain properly the concept of Dust. 
  • Agree on Chernobyl, particularly the casting.  First rate.

Mystery of the year - why put The Sinner (excellent) on BBC4 yet give prime time on BBC1 Sunday to War of the Worlds? Three hours of my life I shall never get back. The final 10 minutes....beggars belief how turgid that was. 
    Yep. War of the Worlds was utter tosh. Gave up after ten minutes of episode two.