Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Agree on Chernobyl, particularly the casting.  First rate.

Mystery of the year - why put The Sinner (excellent) on BBC4 yet give prime time on BBC1 Sunday to War of the Worlds? Three hours of my life I shall never get back. The final 10 minutes....beggars belief how turgid that was. 
    Yep. War of the Worlds was utter tosh. Gave up after ten minutes of episode two. 
    It was very poor 
  • Agree on Chernobyl, particularly the casting.  First rate.

Mystery of the year - why put The Sinner (excellent) on BBC4 yet give prime time on BBC1 Sunday to War of the Worlds? Three hours of my life I shall never get back. The final 10 minutes....beggars belief how turgid that was. 
    Yep. War of the Worlds was utter tosh. Gave up after ten minutes of episode two. 
    I'm a big fan of the book War of the Worlds, I've re-read it many times.  I was so excited to see that they were making a 'faithful' adaption, set in the right locations and the right period.  Turns out it wasn't faithful to anything other than the writer's own ego.  They couldn't even be bothered to include Thunder Child, what the hell were they thinking?  Dreadful, tedious and nothing like the War of the Worlds that I know.  BBC badly screwed up with this.    
  • Missed It said:
    Agree on Chernobyl, particularly the casting.  First rate.

I'm a big fan of the book War of the Worlds, I've re-read it many times.  I was so excited to see that they were making a 'faithful' adaption, set in the right locations and the right period.  Turns out it wasn't faithful to anything other than the writer's own ego.  They couldn't even be bothered to include Thunder Child, what the hell were they thinking?  Dreadful, tedious and nothing like the War of the Worlds that I know.  BBC badly screwed up with this.    
    Watched all 3 episodes.......still waiting for Richard Burton to make an appearance. 
  • The Sinner has already been shown on netflix or something.
  • mendonca said:
    The Sinner has already been shown on netflix or something.
    Yes it was on Netflix.

The ending of the 1st series had a serious plot-hole. Didn't bother with the 2nd series.
  • edited December 2019

I thought The Sinner was okay, worth a go if you’re running out of Netflix shows but nothing special.

Mr Robot on the other hand – that has 3 or 4 episodes left until its final finale and I think in future years will really take off. It’s wasted on Amazon Prime but Rami Malek is going to be too big/popular for people not to go back to it. I’d put it up there with Fargo, Gomorrah, Better Call Saul, that kind of quality & mix of slow build ups + payoffs.
  • War of the Worlds in the right locations? Horsell Common? 
  • War of the Worlds in the right locations? Horsell Common? 

Yes, rather than 20th century New Jersey or California like previous screen adaptations.  While the BBC version got the location right, they got just about everything else wrong because the writer thought he knew better than HG Wells.  The arrogance of these idiots is beyond me.
  • The new Watchmen show had me worried but I gave it a go and it's really very good. Pretty dense and you really need at least a working knowledge of the comic book (NOT the film) to get the most out of it but I'm really enjoying it so far.
  • Andrew Neil's "come and get me" message to Johnson (at the end of the Farage interview) was best thing on TV in ages! 
    If anyone has a link please post ....
  • Sponsored links:

• An old series but thought it was worth a shout: Boardwalk Empire. I'm currently still on Season Two. It will rank as one of my all-time favourites. The writing and the whole cast are so amazing. 

At the same time I'm also watching Homecoming, an Amazon series from last year starring Julia Roberts. It's extremely slow and I've already fastwarded many parts. I have no idea why it got many positive reviews. It's the perfect example of "style over substance" if you know what I mean. I wanted watch it mainly because it has Shea Whigham in it who played an important role in Boardwalk Empire. Very disappointing series. 
  • Does anyone else watch This is Us? I'm convinced my wife puts it on each week to punish me.
  • Does anyone else watch This is Us? I'm convinced my wife puts it on each week to punish me.
    I loved season one and two. Gave up during season three. I think this sort of series basically targets a female audience. I'm not surprised you don't like it. 
    Is season 3 on UK TV yet ?

quite like it myself.
  • quite like it too, not aware of season 3
  • It has been on US tv a year ago but channel 4 have rights to it here but not yet shown it.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Does anyone else watch This is Us? I'm convinced my wife puts it on each week to punish me.
    Is season 3 on UK TV yet ?

quite like it myself.

EXCLUSIVE: This Is Us has lost its first run UK broadcaster. Channel 4 has opted not to renew their licensing agreement for NBC’s hit series with international distributor Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution after airing the show’s first two seasons.

A representative of Channel 4 told TVWise: “We are so pleased and very proud to have brought the first two seasons of the critically-acclaimed series This is Us to a UK audience, but there are currently no plans to air further series”. Amazon Prime Video UK holds SVOD rights to the show, but it is not immediately clear if or when they will stream seasons three and four.

The writing had been on the wall for the show. While initially trumpeted as a key acquisition for the main channel in 2016, it was eventually shunted to More4 for its second season. The decision comes mere months after NBC renewed the series through to season six.

• edited December 2019
    seen Giri/Haji. really good series though the ending was not quite up to it. had some plot holes not filled. 

The watchmen - interesting. each episode seems to throw up another aspect to the world that you have to try and get your head around. a great soundtrack throughout. 

8 Days - just started this German series. i would find old ceefax subtitles more useful than what they have come up with. least i could see the words. not sure i can stick with it. 

• It’s not new but we’ve just caught up with National Treasure - the series with Robbie Coltrane as opposed to the movie with Nicholas Cage.  Very powerful. Jimmy Saville type stuff. Difficult subject but very well acted by a stellar cast. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I watched the first fifteen minutes of the I-Land. I'm stunned. I truly didn't think it was possible to make television that bad. I mean - apart from being horrifically acted, even more horrifically written and having what looks like the most clichéd plot line ever written it's just... Well... 'bad'. 

Seriously - words alone can't do it justice. It's shit. Utter utter shit. Like someone baked a turd into a TV show. 

Give it a watch - and tell me its not the single worst thing you've ever seen passing as 'drama' on televsion
  • Charlton Athletic mention on the most recent episode of Grand Tour. 
  • Charlton Athletic mention on the most recent episode of Grand Tour. 
    Clarkson "Like walking through Old Trafford wearing a Charlton Athletic shirt" - you just look like a loser...
    Programme not bad though...
  • cafc-west said:
    Charlton Athletic mention on the most recent episode of Grand Tour. 
    Clarkson "Like walking through Old Trafford wearing a Charlton Athletic shirt" - you just look like a loser...
    Programme not bad though...
    Cheeky bastard
  • New series of The Expanse just released.  Best thing on TV (if science fiction is your thing).  Thankfully saved by Amazon after Sci-Fi channel cancelled it.  That's my Xmas TV viewing taken care of anyway.
  • One off rather than a series, but did anyone watch Responsible Child yesterday? Thought it was great, though pretty harrowing
  • Missed It said:
    New series of The Expanse just released.  Best thing on TV (if science fiction is your thing).  Thankfully saved by Amazon after Sci-Fi channel cancelled it.  That's my Xmas TV viewing taken care of anyway.

My daughter tells me it the best thing on TV, will have to start to watch it at sometime.
  • I wasn't too sure about the first season (funny belter accents and some cheap 90's sci fi sets/casting) but it did grow on me. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Anyone else been watching His Dark Materials on BBC? Really enjoyed it at the start but its got increasingly hammy and contrite I thought. Still enjoyable but not quite as fun as I hoped. Maybe the fact that the books are some of my favourites from my childhood is making me overly critical
  • Anyone else been watching His Dark Materials on BBC? Really enjoyed it at the start but its got increasingly hammy and contrite I thought. Still enjoyable but not quite as fun as I hoped. Maybe the fact that the books are some of my favourites from my childhood is making me overly critical
    I tried it, as normally this sort of thing would be just my cup of tea.  I hadn't read the books (which may not have helped) but I found every character in it totally annoying and couldn't understand why they were doing what they were doing, both because it appeared stupid and I really had no clue what the set up of the world was.  Maybe it's my fault, but I didn't get it and wasn't impressed enough by the first few episodes to make the effort.