Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• For any Nordic Noir fans I would say that Wisting on Bbc4 on saturday evenings is the best offering since the Bridge. Well worth catching up with.

The third series of Occupied now on Netflix is also very good as is 12th Man.
    I have mised this (Wisting) , not hard to do as the BBC never trails its BBC4 offers anywhere other than on the channel itself. Whats it about?
  • For any Nordic Noir fans I would say that Wisting on Bbc4 on saturday evenings is the best offering since the Bridge. Well worth catching up with.

I have mised this (Wisting) , not hard to do as the BBC never trails its BBC4 offers anywhere other than on the channel itself. Whats it about?
    Wisting is the name of a Norwegian cop. For over 20 years an American serial killer has been operating in Norway and possibly Sweden. FBI  are over to lend a hand. Any more than I'll spoil the plot.  Not seen it anywhere else. Think you'd enjoy it. 
  • Been some varied output over the past couple of weeks. Bancroft was bonkers. Xmas Carol left me rather cold and I found the ghosts all a bit boring.

Christine Keeler series is confusing in jumping back and forth in time (and you would think they would get the Parliamentary debate correct given it's recorded in Hansard: for instance Barbara Castle continually referring to a Tory as 'my right honourable friend'.)

Liked Dracula parts one and two - part three not so much. Thought Sister Agatha was great.   

Watching the Norwegian thriller Wisting on BBC4. Very good so far.   
    Yeah the third part of Dracula was shit. The rest, especially the 2nd episode, was enjoyable.

Dracula went off the rails in the second episode for me.  A tiny part of the book gets stretched out to 90 minutes just so they fit their twist in at the end and make it an episode of "Inside No. 9". 

It's a shame they killed off Sister Agatha.  I'd have liked to have watched a series of her chasing different monsters across 19th century Europe.

Wisting is the name of a Norwegian cop. For over 20 years an American serial killer has been operating in Norway and possibly Sweden. FBI  are over to lend a hand. Any more than I'll spoil the plot.  Not seen it anywhere else. Think you'd enjoy it. 
    Hope my VPN can get around the army of BBC detectives. I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks for the heads-up (to both of you)
  • Watched Don't Fuck with Cats on Netflix over the weekend. True Story, badly told and filled with self importance. Started well, but wrapped up quickly with lots of un-answered questions. Don't bother, google the title and read story.

Good news though, the second series of Sex Education starts on Netflix in a couple of weeks. I'm not a huge fan of TV, but this is a great watch, set in a dystopian world, it manages to pluck many of my strings. 
  • McBobbin said:
    SAS who dares wins in last night. Love that show
    Numbers 11 & 18 already under the spotlight.
  • Yeah didn’t take itself too seriously and was enjoyable.

Also started watching Messiah on Netflix today, decent so far.
    Anyone else watching/watched this series ? 

Finished the final episode tonight & found it a very decent, thought provoking series. 

Not totally sure about the finale but wonder whether there might be a 2nd series.
  • Probably way behind the times but just watching 'Top Boy' on Netflix, such a rip off of 'The Wire.'
  • edited January 2020
    24 Hours in Police Custody has been quality last couple of nights. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 24 Hours in Police Custody has been quality last couple of nights. 
    Excellent tonight. Im watching on C4+1 so hour behind. Hes singing like a canary
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Started watching Russian Doll on Netlfix last night... One of the weirdest shows ive ever watched.
    A fantastic show
  • Power is back on, shame weekly so not really a binge but still. This weeks one was very good!

Dynasty - I only started watching this the last week or so, quite into it. about a rich powerful family, a new lady comes into the Dad's life and lots of things keep unwinding. 40 minute episodes literally fly by, I like it a lot. 6 episodes in but 2 series 24 episodes each so I don't think I will be finishing it in a hurry!

Finished the final episode tonight & found it a very decent, thought provoking series. 

Not totally sure about the finale but wonder whether there might be a 2nd series.
    There is definitely going to be a 2nd series Fanny. I haven't finished the 1st series yet, but I'm enjoying it without being blown away.
  • Power is back on, shame weekly so not really a binge but still. This weeks one was very good!

Dynasty - I only started watching this the last week or so, quite into it. about a rich powerful family, a new lady comes into the Dad's life and lots of things keep unwinding. 40 minute episodes literally fly by, I like it a lot. 6 episodes in but 2 series 24 episodes each so I don't think I will be finishing it in a hurry!

yeah, watched Power on Monday night.

threw me a bit at start as didn't realise was a flashback leading up to the end of the previous episode.

• Probably way behind the times but just watching 'Top Boy' on Netflix, such a rip off of 'The Wire.'
    Completely different shows. S1 & 2 (now labelled Summerhouse on Netflix) is a gritty look at drugs/gangs in inner city London and how easy it is for teens to get caught up in it, The Wire is a police drama. 
  • Missed It said:
    Been some varied output over the past couple of weeks. Bancroft was bonkers. Xmas Carol left me rather cold and I found the ghosts all a bit boring.

Christine Keeler series is confusing in jumping back and forth in time (and you would think they would get the Parliamentary debate correct given it's recorded in Hansard: for instance Barbara Castle continually referring to a Tory as 'my right honourable friend'.)

Liked Dracula parts one and two - part three not so much. Thought Sister Agatha was great.   

Watching the Norwegian thriller Wisting on BBC4. Very good so far.   
    Yeah the third part of Dracula was shit. The rest, especially the 2nd episode, was enjoyable.

Dracula went off the rails in the second episode for me.  A tiny part of the book gets stretched out to 90 minutes just so they fit their twist in at the end and make it an episode of "Inside No. 9". 

It's a shame they killed off Sister Agatha.  I'd have liked to have watched a series of her chasing different monsters across 19th century Europe.
    Good job they hadn't killed her off, then.

Not sure about the ending of episode 3.  I can only assume he spent a long time at the bottom of the sea recovering from the ship sinking.
  • rina said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Started watching Russian Doll on Netlfix last night... One of the weirdest shows ive ever watched.
    A fantastic show
    Agree with both of you, weird and fantastic.
    Why did they give you an extra pillow?  :)
    Why did they give you an extra pillow?  :)
    No comment. 
  • Sponsored links:

There is definitely going to be a 2nd series Fanny. I haven't finished the 1st series yet, but I'm enjoying it without being blown away.
    Thanks, VG.
  • Croydon said:
    Probably way behind the times but just watching 'Top Boy' on Netflix, such a rip off of 'The Wire.'
    Completely different shows. S1 & 2 (now labelled Summerhouse on Netflix) is a gritty look at drugs/gangs in inner city London and how easy it is for teens to get caught up in it, The Wire is a police drama. 
    Same story told from a different perspective.
  • edited January 2020
    Probably way behind the times but just watching 'Top Boy' on Netflix, such a rip off of 'The Wire.'
    Just watched Top Boy as well, thought it was great. Have to say didn't feel it was ripping off The Wire (one of the best series ever!), was refreshing to see that type of story told from a very London/British perspective rather than the usual glorified American gang/drugs story

Knocked off first 3 of Wisting. It is very good, although I'm not sure it's up at The Bridge level. The Norwegian-US culture clash thing, which they do well, is nevertheless a revisit of the concept of Lillehammer, starring Steve van Zandt, maybe you never caught that? More of a dark comedy, mind, that one.

I'll get on to Occupied soon as Wisting finishes. I like that series too. 

What's the 12th Man, and where is it from?
  • 12th man is a true story film about a Norwegian freedom fighter. It's excellent. Truth really is stranger than fiction.
  • Both on Netflix 
  • This weeks Storyville was gripping. The story of the Jonestown Massacre. Incredible stuff. No happy ending though.
  • Croydon said:
    Same story told from a different perspective.
    Can’t see it myself, don’t remember the police being in it tbh. Hope they do another series though
  • Stig said:
    This weeks Storyville was gripping. The story of the Jonestown Massacre. Incredible stuff. No happy ending though.
    Compelling. The end was shocking if, like me, you don’t know the story
  • Modern Love and Easy are both enjoyable anthology shows that I'd recommend. The first couple of episodes of Modern Love were particularly strong (especially the Albanian doorman episode which my wife loved).