Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Anyone seen Avenue 5 staring High Lawrie. Not sure if it's working for me at the moment. Trying tooo hard to be "funny"....

That pretty much sums up Armando Ianucci.

• given upon You season 2. Boring and predictable, plus watching Joe and Love makes me feel a bit ill.
  • Croydon said:
    given upon You season 2. Boring and predictable, plus watching Joe and Love makes me feel a bit ill.

I would persist if I were you(pun not intended), honestly the last 2/3 episodes were brilliant. I would say it wasn't so predictable, although I did half guess where it was heading so maybe it is?
  • The new Curb Your Enthusiasm was pretty good. It has run its course slightly and Larry has gone OTT, but things like the Trump hat and ‘tapping hour’ still make it worthwhile.

• I've been forced to get a new TV, which arrives tomorrow and has the NetFlix app installed. Is there a way for me to browse what they offer before signing up, or only once I do? 

What's it like generally for non-US drama? I believe it has "Occupied" and of course "Sunderland til I Die", more like that?
  • I've been forced to get a new TV, which arrives tomorrow and has the NetFlix app installed. Is there a way for me to browse what they offer before signing up, or only once I do? 

What's it like generally for non-US drama? I believe it has "Occupied" and of course "Sunderland til I Die", more like that?
    There is a search facility.
  • Half way through Stockholm Requiem. Excellent nordic fare.
  • edited January 2020
    Occupied is an excellent show, as are Midnight Diner:Tokyo Stories (Japanese), Dark (German) & Call My Agent (French). Netflix is dominated by US shows & films but there is plenty of excellent European stuff on there’s as well. For a monthly subscription starting at £5.99 I think that it is great value for money.
  • Re Netflix European stuff, I found this, looks quite encouraging...

https://www.finder.com/cz/netflix-tv-shows
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:
    Don’t F**ck With Cats

wow, just wow, one messed up fella (and his mother)
    Watched this today. Absolute psycho,the guy is seriously deranged,his mother in total denial. Horrific.
  • edited January 2020
    RedPanda said:

The new Curb Your Enthusiasm was pretty good. It has run its course slightly and Larry has gone OTT, but things like the Trump hat and ‘tapping hour’ still make it worthwhile.

The Jeff/Harvey Weinstein scenes were very funny.
  • Occupied is an excellent show, as are Midnight Diner:Tokyo Stories (Japanese), Dark (German) & Call My Agent (French). Netflix is dominated by US shows & films but there is plenty of excellent European stuff on there’s as well. For a monthly subscription starting at £5.99 I think that it is great value for money.
    Dark is the best series I’ve seen on TV
  • Series 3 of Snowfall starts tonight on BBC 2

not the most watched of US imports but is actually one of the better recent ones. 
  • Dead Water Fell - Another UK drama with a soft final episode. Be really nice to end a series with a twist or WTF moment. They’re all so weak at the end.
  • Another couple of nights bingeing on another Netflix series.

"The Stranger" from a Harlan Coben book but based in the UK, not the USA.

8 episodes and a finale with more of a twist than I expected. 

Might be worth a watch, VG ? 
  • The Good Place finished yesterday, without a doubt one of the top programmes ever made. And they made a series finale that was absolute perfection
  • Anyone watching Cobra on sky one ?

only seem first episode so far. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Anyone watching Cobra on sky one ?

only seem first episode so far. 
    Seen 4. Probably the only decent drama on sky one in last 10 years?
  • Sooo...Netflix..I need some advice here, hopefully someone like @Stu_of_Kunming is around (hope you are OK over there, Stu). It's a niche question from a "citizen of nowhere", apologies in advance..

So I signed up for it, and it appeared to know (because of my IP address, as they later confirmed)  that I was logging in from CZ and charged me in Czech crowns, and, to my irritation, slightly more than the £5.99 deal that was offered in UK money (£6.65 since you ask).

So I had a look round what was on offer to me and noted with approval series 1 of Sunderland, as well as some Czech material with English subs, which will be nice. But when I looked for Occupied (the Norwegian drama) it wasn't there. Eventually it emerged that their libraries are modified country-by-country. According to the girl on the chat, if I would be visiting the UK, I could watch Occupied with my existing sub. but there's no point in "downloading" to watch offline in the hope of watching it back here, it won't be possible to view (which technically I find a bit odd, because to me downloading means it's on your device's hard drive).

Previously I couldn't understand why, when we discussed VPNs, people said "good for Netflix". It's a paid service, a VPN won't give you access if you haven't paid. So is it that people use a VPN so that they can access the US or UK libraries to access the most interesting content for them? if anyone does this, how sharp is Netflix, compared with the BBC in patrolling VPN use? Do you think I could switch between a Czech and UK IP address using my VPN pretty easily according to what I want to watch?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sooo...Netflix..I need some advice here, hopefully someone like @Stu_of_Kunming is around (hope you are OK over there, Stu). It's a niche question from a "citizen of nowhere", apologies in advance..

So I signed up for it, and it appeared to know (because of my IP address, as they later confirmed)  that I was logging in from CZ and charged me in Czech crowns, and, to my irritation, slightly more than the £5.99 deal that was offered in UK money (£6.65 since you ask).

So I had a look round what was on offer to me and noted with approval series 1 of Sunderland, as well as some Czech material with English subs, which will be nice. But when I looked for Occupied (the Norwegian drama) it wasn't there. Eventually it emerged that their libraries are modified country-by-country. According to the girl on the chat, if I would be visiting the UK, I could watch Occupied with my existing sub. but there's no point in "downloading" to watch offline in the hope of watching it back here, it won't be possible to view (which technically I find a bit odd, because to me downloading means it's on your device's hard drive).

Previously I couldn't understand why, when we discussed VPNs, people said "good for Netflix". It's a paid service, a VPN won't give you access if you haven't paid. So is it that people use a VPN so that they can access the US or UK libraries to access the most interesting content for them? if anyone does this, how sharp is Netflix, compared with the BBC in patrolling VPN use? Do you think I could switch between a Czech and UK IP address using my VPN pretty easily according to what I want to watch?
    Lots of VPN's are blocked by Netflix but some do work. My VPN (Windscribe) has specific Netflix servers and they've never been blocked.
  • Just saw the first Curb Your Enthusiasm. Agree with the above it had its itsnny set pieces, but was a bit Curb by numbers, and seemed a bit forced. I'll keep up with the series though.

New series of Inside No. 9 starting... Now that I'm very excited about

Lots of VPN's are blocked by Netflix but some do work. My VPN (Windscribe) has specific Netflix servers and they've never been blocked.
    But why do you use a VPN for Netflix in the first place? Are you also outside the UK? 

But why do you use a VPN for Netflix in the first place? Are you also outside the UK? 
    Presumably to get access to US Netflix
  • New series of Inside No. 9 starts tonight.
  • I watch netflix on ps4 and pretty bored now can I use a VPN to get access to other countries netflix and is it worth it
  • Half way through Stockholm Requiem. Excellent nordic fare.
    I thought I'd seen 2 episodes of this, but it seems to have disappeared ?
    Am I going crazy ? (yes obvs). 
  • edited February 2020
    Half way through Stockholm Requiem. Excellent nordic fare.
    I thought I'd seen 2 episodes of this, but it seems to have disappeared ?
    Am I going crazy ? (yes obvs).

There's a trick I mentioned previously for virgin media which is to create a series link. This has produced all 10 episodes. Seen first 8. All are two parters. Think it's excellent. Can also get on all 4 website. 
  • edited February 2020
    Sooo...Netflix..I need some advice here, hopefully someone like @Stu_of_Kunming is around (hope you are OK over there, Stu). It's a niche question from a "citizen of nowhere", apologies in advance..

Netflix usage is incidental for me. I use a vpn to watch live Charlton games that I'd otherwise be unable to see and for securing my devices when I connect to public wifi networks. 
  • Cobra started well, some good work by Robert Carlyle and the guy who played the DCI up in Northumberland was quality too.

Ending a cop out. Better than most of the style over substance stuff Sky release but I don't think anyone will be worse off for not watching