Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• I have enjoyed Power overall but glad it's ending, definitely run it's course. 

Better Call Saul back in about 6 weeks for the final season which I am excited for. 
  • Stig said:
    This weeks Storyville was gripping. The story of the Jonestown Massacre. Incredible stuff. No happy ending though.
    I started this but didn’t finish before a work trip, there just isn’t a word that fits really...mind boggled??
  • edited January 2020
    Modern Love and Easy are both enjoyable anthology shows that I'd recommend. The first couple of episodes of Modern Love were particularly strong (especially the Albanian doorman episode which my wife loved).
    I totally loved Modern Love, every episode of it! Most people didn't like the sixth one where a young girl had a complicated relationship with the old senior engineer at work but I loved it too. It got me interested in the actor and starting to watch Boardwalk Empire which later became one of my top five all-time favourite series.

Having finished Boardwalk Empire I couldn't get into any other series as Boardwalk was so great I found other series all too mediocre... until I watched the pilot of The Morning Show, starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon with a lot of familiar faces playing supporting roles. I'm on episode four now and really enjoying it. 
  • edited January 2020
    Jessie said:
    Modern Love and Easy are both enjoyable anthology shows that I'd recommend. The first couple of episodes of Modern Love were particularly strong (especially the Albanian doorman episode which my wife loved).
    I totally loved Modern Love, every episode of it! Most people didn't like the sixth one where a young girl had a complicated relationship with the old senior engineer at work but I loved it too. It got me interested in the actor and starting to watch Boardwalk Empire which later became one of my top five all-time favourite series.

Having finished Boardwalk Empire I couldn't get into any other series as Boardwalk was so great I found other series all too mediocre... until I watched the pilot of The Morning Show, starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon with a lot of familiar faces playing supporting roles. I'm on episode four now and really enjoying it. 
    Thanks for that Jessie, I'll give the Morning Show a go (and hopefully earn some brownie points with my wife 🙏). Btw have you tried The Marvellous Mrs Maisel? Based on some of the other shows you've previously recommended I think you'd enjoy it.
  • finished the Morning Show last night. Thought I was being more thoughtful
    to Mrs C at the start of 2020 rather than putting her through Game of Thrones type shows etc and ended up even more captivated than she was. Incredible acting performances in some episodes and the story was gripping. A ‘me too’ themed story line but with layers. Cannot wait to season 2.

mandalorian - loved it: again cannot wait for season 2
  • Jessie said:

Thanks for that Jessie, I'll give the Morning Show a go (and hopefully earn some brownie points with my wife 🙏). Btw have you tried The Marvellous Mrs Maisel? Based on some of the other shows you've previously recommended I think you'd enjoy it.
    Thank you. I actually watched the first episode of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel when it was just out. I thought it was a bit too slow for me so I gave up. I was aware it got many positive reviews and a lot of people loved it. Maybe I'll give it another go when I finish The Morning Show. Thank you for the recommendation all the same. :)
  • For any Nordic Noir fans I would say that Wisting on Bbc4 on saturday evenings is the best offering since the Bridge. Well worth catching up with.

The third series of Occupied now on Netflix is also very good as is 12th Man.
    I have mised this (Wisting) , not hard to do as the BBC never trails its BBC4 offers anywhere other than on the channel itself. Whats it about?
    Wisting is the name of a Norwegian cop. For over 20 years an American serial killer has been operating in Norway and possibly Sweden. FBI  are over to lend a hand. Any more than I'll spoil the plot.  Not seen it anywhere else. Think you'd enjoy it. 
    Thanks for this I think it's been very good. 
  • edited January 2020
    Just watched episode 4 of Christine Keeler, I know he is an arse but feeling a bit sorry for DR Stephen Ward in this episode seems everyone and everything is turning against him
  • Has anybody watched the series The Expanse on Amazon and If so, is it worth sticking with as 1st episode did not fully grip me?
  • DA9DA9
    edited January 2020
    if there are any Witcher fans out there, my other half’s son is a bit of an aficionado, he read the books a couple of years back and has his own YouTube channel dedicated to it, subscribers rising daily due to the new tv series, for anyone interested give it a look 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDWog8pECDd-AuzWUGJ5QXQ
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix is good. Watched the first 2 last night.
  • Has anybody watched the series The Expanse on Amazon and If so, is it worth sticking with as 1st episode did not fully grip me?
    The Expanse is certainly worth sticking with.  It's the best sci-fi on tv
  • Missed It said:
    Has anybody watched the series The Expanse on Amazon and If so, is it worth sticking with as 1st episode did not fully grip me?
    The Expanse is certainly worth sticking with.  It's the best sci-fi on tv
    Thanks Missed It, about to dive in again
  • edited January 2020
    Mindhunter series 3 placed on indefinite hold  :angry::angry:
  • I have enjoyed Power overall but glad it's ending, definitely run it's course. 

Better Call Saul back in about 6 weeks for the final season which I am excited for. 
    Better Call Saul was so dull, dropped out at the end of series two as nothing was actually happening. Felt like the story was going round in circles.
  • RedPanda said:
    PopIcon said:
    I have enjoyed Power overall but glad it's ending, definitely run it's course. 

Better Call Saul was so dull, dropped out at the end of series two as nothing was actually happening. Felt like the story was going round in circles.

Then you missed out on some huge build ups and payoffs. It's one of the best shows on Netflix.
    ^^
    This.
    And I love the way it gradually builds towards Breaking Bad, skilfully introducing key characters into the narrative.
    Obviously at some point in the new series he will lose Kim, who hitherto has stood by him seeing the good heart beneath the surface.
    We saw signs in the last series that his insincerity and opportunism were starting to turn her away.
    Sad, because the writers have actually made us care about him.
    Love it

• Mindhunter series 3 placed on indefinite hold  :angry::angry:
    Pity. Any idea why?
  • Anyone watching cobra?
  • White House Farm is off to a good start, though it dramatises a very grisly set of real murders
  • Sponsored links:

Pity. Any idea why?
    Director is to busy, he is working on films atm so they placed it on indefinite hold and released the actors from the contracts so they could look for other jobs
  • Anyone watching cobra?
    Surprisingly as it's on Sky One I quite enjoyed the first episode. 

French series admirers may want to checkout The Passenger on More 4 this evening.
  • My TV has conked out ! :-(  I thought that sort of thing didn't happen any more. 

But fortunately in this day and age one can just put up with watching on the laptop for a few days
  • Delighted to hear Better Call Saul is returning. In my opinion even better than the excellent Breaking Bad, and has been so up until now. Much more delicate and nuanced, but with sufficient intrigue. Very well written and acted and produced.
    In my view a series that shows the best of modern American Drama
  • I'm not sure if it has appeared on this thread already but I think The Boys (Amazon Prime) is very good indeed.
  • 24 Red said:
    I'm not sure if it has appeared on this thread already but I think The Boys (Amazon Prime) is very good indeed.
    it's absolutely brilliant
    Pity. Any idea why?
    Director is to busy, he is working on films atm so they placed it on indefinite hold and released the actors from the contracts so they could look for other jobs
    That is a real shame. Both seasons were great (I liked the first one more than the second though). Bill Tench was starting to become an interesting and very likeable character in season two and now the series is literally cancelled.  :'(
  • seth plum said:
    Delighted to hear Better Call Saul is returning. In my opinion even better than the excellent Breaking Bad, and has been so up until now. Much more delicate and nuanced, but with sufficient intrigue. Very well written and acted and produced.
    In my view a series that shows the best of modern American Drama
    I don’t agree, I have enjoyed it but don’t think it’s a patch on Breaking Bad. 

Depends on what you like I guess. Better Call Saul keeks you intrigued but lacked action for me. 
  • Enjoying Deadwater Fell with David Tennant on channel 4