Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Inside number 9 had the feel of when you go to the theatre and people over laugh just to show they got the joke. Hopefully a bit of a writer's vanity episode.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Just started watching The Flight Attendant 

not sure if I like it or not 
    Its awful, we stopped after a few. Just seemed a bit pointless half of it and became annoying. Not for me
  • Options
    I watched the first series of stranger things in the hope it would be any good, I found it to be rubbish.
    Clichéd ‘geeks’, signalled that science is for oddballs, stereotypical science teacher, unresolved ‘big government’ actions like the murder of a restaurant owner, a tow rope for a jungle explorer, the upside down concept, androgynous character called eleven (the actress was good as Sherlock Holmes sister).
    Maybe the subsequent series were good, but the basic idea, if it could be called an idea, would barely sustain a two minute slot in a disastrous plot compilation.
    Over hyped tripe worthy of no praise whatsoever.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I watched the first series of stranger things in the hope it would be any good, I found it to be rubbish.
    Clichéd ‘geeks’, signalled that science is for oddballs, stereotypical science teacher, unresolved ‘big government’ actions like the murder of a restaurant owner, a tow rope for a jungle explorer, the upside down concept, androgynous character called eleven (the actress was good as Sherlock Holmes sister).
    Maybe the subsequent series were good, but the basic idea, if it could be called an idea, would barely sustain a two minute slot in a disastrous plot compilation.
    You're gunna give season 4 a go though yes?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You understand that the whole ‘cliche thing’ is intentional right? The whole concept is pretty much a nod to the 80’s.
  • Options
    Stranger Things ....def my kind of thing ! 

Might have to rewatch the previous 3 series again though before its aired. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You understand that the whole ‘cliche thing’ is intentional right? The whole concept is pretty much a nod to the 80’s.
    Oh right.
    Is it.
    OK
    Is it supposed to be some kind of illuminating, or ironic, or revisionist take on the eighties?
    Or even some kind of historical commentary?
    Incidentally I didn't know Margaret Thatcher was in it, I thought it was set in America.
  • Options
    Yeah, it'sa homage to the 80s. I liked the first season a lot, the second was pretty goodbut wasn't blown away by the third. Will see what the reviews are like for the fourth but there's a hell of a lot of good stuff to watch at the moment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Its awful, we stopped after a few. Just seemed a bit pointless half of it and became annoying. Not for me
    I gave up with it too, thought it was shit.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I gave up 10 mins into episode 2.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    seth plum said:

If you want to watch a Stranger Things for grown ups I'd recommend the German series 'Dark'. 
  • Options
    I think for science fiction or ghosts or monster or horror type stuff, the fundamental task of those writing or creating such material is to persuade you to buy into the conceit.
    It isn't an easy sell.
  • Options
    Now, I’m a huge fan of Inside No. 9 but I thought that was a terrible misstep for an opening episode. It seemed like it was aimed at other actors who’d also studied Comedie Del Arte and were familiar with the stock characters and situations and broad comedy. Suffice to say I absolutely hated it. 
  • Options
    Must have been a laugh riot if you’re another actor or if you’re Italian. Or an Italian actor.
  • Options
    I’ve just started Tales From The Loop ( Amazon Prime ) and 2 episodes in I am pleasantly surprised. First one took a bit to get going and then I got into it. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Not a series but I thought the Ian Wright documentary on domestic abuse was an interesting watch and raised some interesting points. Home Truths(iplayer)
  • Options
    Not a series but I thought the Ian Wright documentary on domestic abuse was an interesting watch and raised some interesting points. Home Truths(iplayer)
    That was very good, if depressing
  • Options
    Not sure if this is old news but there was a supposed comedy on the other night on BBC about a football team..called First Team I think. The match day stuff was filmed at The Valley.
    This couldn't save the programme but kept me watching!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Unfortunately we did. It was terrible, don't do it. 
  • Options
    Ploughing on with Flight Attendant as don’t like leaving. Just two more to get through. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    First of a new series of motherland. Appeals to a certain demographic that I reside well within... But a funny episode
    Watched the 1st season of this and found it okay but this episode was probably the most un-funny thing I have ever watched, utter dross and binned it after 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations for Motherland - it's the funniest thing I've watched since The Detectorists. Some of the characters are absolutely horrendous (Meg and Amanda) and I find it difficult to laugh at the 'cringe' humour (The Office was the exception to that for me) - but the rest of them are great. Kevin is absolutely spot on as the emasculated male, while Anna Maxwell Martin and the absolutely incomparable Diane Morgan are fabulous. Some of it had me laughing my head off - it's been a while since I *literally* laughed out loud
  • Options
    Amsterdam Vice on All4 is very enjoyable, great early 80s atmosphere.(still not finished it though)

I've finished S1 pf the Aussie political thriller Secret City on Netflix, and will deffo watch S2

And I'm another Call my Agent fan. 

• Options
    I cant remember if i have mentioned before but back on Below Deck - Netflix, they have uploaded a couple of new series, CH4 did bring out a Mediterranean version but the main cast wasn't as good IMO 

For anyone who hasn't seen or heard, its basically about yachting, they get all sorts of guests and demands and also have the trouble of not getting on or getting a bad deckhand etc. I find it quite interesting and easy to binge/watch. A bit of a reality show but something different, some of the cast you really will dislike and others you will enjoy. Personally i would start series 1 and see how you get on, wont be for everyone
  • Options
    The first couple of seasons of Motherland were really good but their recent Christmas special was one of the least funny 'comedies' I've watched for a while. 
  • Options
    The first couple of seasons of Motherland were really good but their recent Christmas special was one of the least funny 'comedies' I've watched for a while. 
    I take it you were busy over Christmas?
  • Options
    Christmas special wasn't great, but this series of Motherland is top notch, watching Julia's mid life crisis and the interplay between Kev and Liz is just brilliant.