Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Up to episode three of black mirror. So far it has been very average.
  • Chaz Hill said:

In episode 2, the Czech guy whom Godman wants to do biz with is played by Karel Roden, one of the country's most respected actors. Good casting, although I would love to hear his personal thoughts on portraying Prague as basically captured by Russian gangsters. For sure there is a lot of truth in it, especially at retail level.

Generally some people might now start to understand why I am a bit lary of Putin's Russia.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/03/mcmafia-tv-bbc-russian-organised-crime-uk

Don’t know if you spotted this Prague. Good insight. Excellent series by the BBC.

Russians were all over Sofia when I was based there. Huge Embassy compound. Top of the range motors outside various clubs. Giving it large. Surprisingly never got hassled by the local police! Properties on the Black Sea coast were a big thing then. Also an ideal route for smuggling whatever into Western Europe.
    When were you based in Sofia? I'm very fond of the place, with a couple of great long standing friends from there, not to mention an old girlfriend who remains dangerously fit and continuously unfathomable.

The Russians have always felt more comfortable in Bulgaria than in the other ex Warsaw Pact countries, same Cyrillic alphabet, Orthodox church, lack of modern democratic tradition. The Czechs on the other hand, many of them seriously hate Russians. My wife for starters. It's primal. If she hears Russian being spoken her face darkens. I'm not letting her near McMafia, told her it's too violent, although she's proud that Karel Roden got a gig. They stay a bit lower profile here, but they are here big time for sure. Went to a new craft beer pub in our locality, simply decked out with Scandi pine furniture, student crowd, hard working Czech husband and wife team. We decided to leave, my Czech buddy Mad Vincent went for a piss, located downstairs. When he got there he found a big basement room with one large table, and sitting round it, a large group of Russians. It might not seem so strange, describing it here, but for Vincent it was a big WTF moment. We won't return. But again, the Communists still poll 15% here, you've got 40 plus Russian disinformation websites operating in plain sight, and quite a few politicians with shadowy links to Moscow.

Anyway, McMafia is all too authentic, certainly the Prague bit.

Lived and worked there 2004-2006. I was part of a EU Pre-Accession Twinning project. UK team helping Bulgarian counterparts preparing Structural Fund administrative structures. I was based in the Ministry of Finance. I was in Budapest doing a similar job for 2 years prior to this.

Loved both places and made many good friends. Sofia obviously a bit more gritty than Budapest but enjoyable all the same.
  • Any news on a air date for the Bridge in the UK?
  • PopIcon said:

Up to episode three of black mirror. So far it has been very average.

Yeah I enjoyed it but I thought it was the weakest season so far. The final episode was probably my favourite so you have that to look forward to.

As a slight aside Karl Pilkington predicted two stories from the final episode a decade ago.
  • Anyone see the new Kay Mellor drama on ITV yesterday called Girlfriends. Didn't watch it all but what I did see I thought was pretty poor & certainly no Dr Foster, Happy Valley or Liar, Liar. I thought Miranda Richardson, especially, was very week & not very well acted.
  • Call me sad, but love a bit of Hunted.
  • Any news on a air date for the Bridge in the UK?

None I have seen. It is known that it has been "promoted" to BBC2
  • RedPanda said:

PopIcon said:

Up to episode three of black mirror. So far it has been very average.

Yeah I enjoyed it but I thought it was the weakest season so far. The final episode was probably my favourite so you have that to look forward to.

As a slight aside Karl Pilkington predicted two stories from the final episode a decade ago.
    I'll see it through. A couple of people said Hang the DJ was the best one.
  • rina said:

I've really been looking forward to Inside no. 9 restarting and have not been let down. that first episode was absolutely superb

I'm slowly catching up on the old series as I missed them first time around. "A Quiet Night In" (the silent robbery episode) and "12 Days of Christine" (the Sheridan Smith one) were among the best half hours of TV I've ever seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've watched the first couple of episodes of Godless. Great show so far and Jeff Daniels is a genuinely scary baddie.

Really enjoyed this show. Jeff Daniels like you say is very good.
  • Season three of Gamorrah is starting on January 31st - Sky Atlantic.
    If you haven’t seen it bey you are in for a treat. First two seasons are available on catch up.

Top man @Bedsaddick
  • rina said:

I've really been looking forward to Inside no. 9 restarting and have not been let down. that first episode was absolutely superb

I'm slowly catching up on the old series as I missed them first time around. "A Quiet Night In" (the silent robbery episode) and "12 Days of Christine" (the Sheridan Smith one) were among the best half hours of TV I've ever seen.
    12 days of Christine was an amazing show. As good as any episode of black mirror (context: I love black mirror) or league of Gentlemen (perfection)
  • New series of Silent Witness starts on Monday night, staring the lovely Emilia Fox. Always worth a watch.
  • Chaz Hill said:

Chaz Hill said:

In episode 2, the Czech guy whom Godman wants to do biz with is played by Karel Roden, one of the country's most respected actors. Good casting, although I would love to hear his personal thoughts on portraying Prague as basically captured by Russian gangsters. For sure there is a lot of truth in it, especially at retail level.

Generally some people might now start to understand why I am a bit lary of Putin's Russia.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/03/mcmafia-tv-bbc-russian-organised-crime-uk

Don’t know if you spotted this Prague. Good insight. Excellent series by the BBC.

Russians were all over Sofia when I was based there. Huge Embassy compound. Top of the range motors outside various clubs. Giving it large. Surprisingly never got hassled by the local police! Properties on the Black Sea coast were a big thing then. Also an ideal route for smuggling whatever into Western Europe.
    When were you based in Sofia? I'm very fond of the place, with a couple of great long standing friends from there, not to mention an old girlfriend who remains dangerously fit and continuously unfathomable.

The Russians have always felt more comfortable in Bulgaria than in the other ex Warsaw Pact countries, same Cyrillic alphabet, Orthodox church, lack of modern democratic tradition. The Czechs on the other hand, many of them seriously hate Russians. My wife for starters. It's primal. If she hears Russian being spoken her face darkens. I'm not letting her near McMafia, told her it's too violent, although she's proud that Karel Roden got a gig. They stay a bit lower profile here, but they are here big time for sure. Went to a new craft beer pub in our locality, simply decked out with Scandi pine furniture, student crowd, hard working Czech husband and wife team. We decided to leave, my Czech buddy Mad Vincent went for a piss, located downstairs. When he got there he found a big basement room with one large table, and sitting round it, a large group of Russians. It might not seem so strange, describing it here, but for Vincent it was a big WTF moment. We won't return. But again, the Communists still poll 15% here, you've got 40 plus Russian disinformation websites operating in plain sight, and quite a few politicians with shadowy links to Moscow.

Anyway, McMafia is all too authentic, certainly the Prague bit.

Lived and worked there 2004-2006. I was part of a EU Pre-Accession Twinning project. UK team helping Bulgarian counterparts preparing Structural Fund administrative structures. I was based in the Ministry of Finance. I was in Budapest doing a similar job for 2 years prior to this.

Loved both places and made many good friends. Sofia obviously a bit more gritty than Budapest but enjoyable all the same.
    On a lighter note anyone else on CL who watches McMafia think Vadim looks a bit like Peter Varney!
  • Anyone watched Bloodline on Netflix? Thought it was very watchable and kept me glued.
  • Hard Sun. What a load of shite!
  • Spiral is definitely moving into top gear now
  • Thought the last episode of Black Mirror was great - like a tribute to Roald Dahl. Enjoyes all of them immensely - favourite would be the Star Trek pisstake and the Jodie Foster one. The one with the insurance investigator was almost too bleak to watch
  • Hard Sun. What a load of shite!

I echo that. I thought the trailers look interesting but what a letdown.
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably way behind, but enjoyed Feud immensely. Just got the final episode to watch.
  • Just finished watching Manhunt: Unabomber on Netflix.

Really good acting and told the story well.

Agreed. Really good TV

Have this down to watch
  • McMafia excellent again last night. Rough old place that Prague :smiley:
  • New Vera on ITV. I know I'm sad, but I do love a 2 hour cop/detective programme, esp Morse & Lewis but never got into Endeavour.
  • Chaz Hill said:

McMafia excellent again last night. Rough old place that Prague :smiley:

But how wooden & monosyllabic is James Norton !
  • Chaz Hill said:

But how wooden & monosyllabic is James Norton !
    Now you mention it I tend to agree. Put it down to him playing the part of a Russian :smile:
  • Chaz Hill said:

Yes I told the wife today that Karel Roden (Benes) won't survive episode 4, and all he's had to say so far is "We are Czechs. We don't like the boss."

• Can't wait for Gomorrah. Best thing I've ever seen. Been waiting a year for series 3