Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cable Car - Good news for Charlton?

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
The cable Car opened today.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18619936

Will this increase Charlton's catchment area?

I notice the 'Get to the stadium' section of the OS refers to the North Greenwich Jubilee line stop as being a short bus ride from the ground. Surely they should update this section with the Cable Car option now. Can any other club boast as many different public transport options for getting to the ground? Overground, underground, bus, boat and cable car!

Comments

• Options
    Thought you were going into the Wombles song there for a minute, Red_in_SE8
  • Options
    If you're from that side of the Thames (the custom house area), you're probably already a west ham fan.

If you really wanted to get to Charlton from there, then you could have always used the tube/dlr or just drove.
    The cable car has simply provided a longer, more expensive alternative.
  • Options
    I really want to go on this, but once I'm within 100 metres of it I'm gonna sh*te my pants! Still, looks amazing.
  • Options
    I really want to go on this, but once I'm within 100 metres of it I'm gonna sh*te my pants! Still, looks amazing.
    I've been on this one in a Blizzard, and thats shit scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrolean_Zugspitze_Cable_Car

• Options
    As an Essex boy, I can't wait to go to a match on this. I doubt that it will make journeys any easier, but it'll be fun to do now and again.
  • Options
    Exactly! It's a unique and thrilling/relaxing (if that's possible) way of rising above the city and floating to the match. That's amazing when you think of it.
  • Options
    Blimey. It's the first I have heard of this. Looks impressive.
  • Options
    You have not heard of the cable car that goes from nowhere to nowhere?

Wow. Can't wait to go on it.
  • Options
    Apparently you get really good views of rubbish tips and derelict industry
  • Options
    Looking forward to going on it, dont think anyone will use it as a really viable commuting option, but hey, its fun, and great for tourists and those going to the 02 etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As an Essex boy, I can't wait to go to a match on this. I doubt that it will make journeys any easier, but it'll be fun to do now and again.
    Same here. Good option if the jubilee line or DLR are playing up.
  • Options
    Great little tourist attraction but I can't see any real "transport" value. Still, it was cheap enough at 60 million !
  • Options
    Can any other club boast as many different public transport options for getting to the ground? Overground, underground, bus, boat and cable car!
    How many are one type of transport options though? Train yes & bus yes...but don't you have to get a bus if you use the boat, underground & cable car?
  • Options
    Great little tourist attraction but I can't see any real "transport" value. Still, it was cheap enough at 60 million !
    £20m of taxpayers money
  • Options
    £20m of taxpayers money
    We'll get that back by the end of next year.
  • Options
    I've been on one when I went to Mount Blanc, that swung about like a mo fo!
  • Options
    £20m of taxpayers money

Will we though? Seen and heard enough promises like that. Emirates will want to claw back their £43m first and then no doubt after their sponsorship ends and we can actually make money, we will sell it to the French - deja vu?
  • Options
    £20m of taxpayers money

Will we though? Seen and heard enough promises like that. Emirates will want to claw back their £43m first and then no doubt after their sponsorship ends and we can actually make money, we will sell it to the French - deja vu?
    Why would you think that. Do Charlton pay Andrews Air Conditioning the gate receipts until the sponsorship is paid back?

It is sponsorship paid in consideration of having their name on TfL maps. It's not a loan. All the revenues go to TfL.

• Options
    Long term, the cable cars will prove to be the best piece of 'heritage infrastructure' for ALL the public whether they be sports fans or not. It provides another much needed river crossing and will prove to be a major tourist attraction. I hope that the fares charged will not be too high.
  • Options
    Long term, the cable cars will prove to be the best piece of 'heritage infrastructure' for ALL the public whether they be sports fans or not. It provides another much needed river crossing and will prove to be a major tourist attraction. I hope that the fares charged will not be too high.
    The Queen should pay for it to be free, as part of her Diamond celebrations a la Bazalgette's Woolwich Ferry arrangements

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't see anywhere to put my skis. I take it this cable car goes straight to the Beckton Alps
  • Options
    Went on it last night, and it was great fun. You do not need a boarding pass (!) if you have an Oyster card (£3.20 one way), just go straight to the entry gates and by-pass the ticket queues. Got an car to ourselves (my wife and I) as not very busy at all...Excellent views of the docks, river, O2, and Olympic sites. Was windy but not much rocking. North side hub is at Royal Victoria DLR (not Excel!), and south side is between O2 and the old Beckham academy. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Nice one Ped, I shall look forward to it.
  • Options
    The Queen should pay for it to be free, as part of her Diamond celebrations a la Bazalgette's Woolwich Ferry arrangements

The queen and her family are a bunch of tight fisted misers. I have heard say that she is charging rent for the use of Greenwich park during the equestrian events. I'd like to see the 'royal' family used as targets during the archery contest. I'd give them a fighting chance, let them run free with targets attached to their fronts and backs
  • Options

The queen and her family are a bunch of tight fisted misers. I have heard say that she is charging rent for the use of Greenwich park during the equestrian events. I'd like to see the 'royal' family used as targets during the archery contest. I'd give them a fighting chance, let them run free with targets attached to their fronts and backs
    What a lovely person you are.

• Options

What a lovely person you are.

lol .. thanks
  • Options
    but seriously .. the cable cars despite their expense and probably high maintenance and running costs, are good news not just for Charlton but for the whole of the SE Thames waterfront.
  • Options
    The cable Car opened today.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18619936

Can any other club boast as many different public transport options for getting to the ground? Overground, underground, bus, boat and cable car!
    You are forgetting the Greenwich foot tunnel as well. Cable car seems expensive for such a short ride.
  • Options
    Born and raised in Custom House, Charlton till I Die! I only know of 4 others though!

Live in Essex now so may use this next season