Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall - hoping to increase capacity

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    On the subject of Millwall, they are selling Tony Craig to Brentford!
  • Options
    Spot on Bunny.
  • Options
    If you go on House of Fun there's a thread where B-Mob are brought up, and are respected.

Like you say though, it's not that Charlton are all anoraks etc, it's just that a proper Millwall turn out dwarfs a Charlton one.

I think the two clubs have fanbases that are very similar as a whole - if you put our 'hooligans' aside for a minute.

However, the cultures are different. Jim, the office worker from Welling goes to Millwall, has a pint in the Forresters, with the scaffolders and local council estate heroes, thrives on it, starts talking like an old face, throwing in a few swears, gets to the ground, wher another 11,000 odd are all living out the Millwall stereotype, giving it to the players, chucking a few wanker signs at the away end etc etc

Bob, the office worker from Welling goes to Charlton, has a few pints with fellow Addicks, chats football, life etc, goes to the ground and sings a few songs, claps the players from both sides off and goes home.

At work on the Monday they both pretty much the same people.
    Sounds about right. I like Bob more though.
  • Options
    On the subject of Millwall, they are selling Tony Craig to Brentford!
    Pity, if true. Millwall through & through. But lacking at this level. If we'd had two decent full backs we would have finished around 10-12th easily last season.
  • Options

However, the cultures are different. Jim, the office worker from Welling goes to Millwall, has a pint in the Forresters, with the scaffolders and local council estate heroes, thrives on it, starts talking like an old face, throwing in a few swears, gets to the ground, wher another 11,000 odd are all living out the Millwall stereotype, giving it to the players, chucking a few wanker signs at the away end etc etc

Bob, the office worker from Welling goes to Charlton, has a few pints with fellow Addicks, chats football, life etc, goes to the ground and sings a few songs, claps the players from both sides off and goes home.

This is genuinely the best summing up of the difference between. Charlton and Millwall fans I've ever read. Some might think Bob's "sad" but Jim's a complete fraud, it would do my head in if a large part of our support base was only there because they thought there was some reflected glory in acting like a "geeza" for a few hours every other Saturday.

Charlton is a big part of my life, it's not something I play at every couple of weeks to validate my masculinity.
  • Options

This is genuinely the best summing up of the difference between. Charlton and Millwall fans I've ever read. Some might think Bob's "sad" but Jim's a complete fraud, it would do my head in if a large part of our support base was only there because they thought there was some reflected glory in acting like a "geeza" for a few hours every other Saturday.

Charlton is a big part of my life, it's not something I play at every couple of weeks to validate my masculinity.
    I dont think it's to validate anything - just that it is fun.

Like pretending to be in the army by shooting paint at people in a field, or stealing cars on a game, or driving your car really fast on the motorway.

I think all of those things are sad - but people enjoy them.

I like going to The Den and dishing out abuse to the oppo players and fans, singing NoOne Likes Us and hearing about/ talking of the old battle stories up north and the like over a few pints.

Life is bland enough these days...without buying into these boring, middle-class nightmare at football matches. Jim might be middle class - but for 2 hours every other Saturday he's a rough, tough docker like his granddad again, and takes no crap from anybody!
  • Options
    Life is bland enough these days...without buying into these boring, middle-class nightmare at football matches. Jim might be middle class - but for 2 hours every other Saturday he's a rough, tough docker like his granddad again, and takes no crap from anybody!

That's actually even sadder.
  • Options

I dont think it's to validate anything - just that it is fun.

Like pretending to be in the army by shooting paint at people in a field, or stealing cars on a game, or driving your car really fast on the motorway.

I think all of those things are sad - but people enjoy them.

I like going to The Den and dishing out abuse to the oppo players and fans, singing NoOne Likes Us and hearing about/ talking of the old battle stories up north and the like over a few pints.

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate, that's just not for me !
  • Options

But, it's up to him, isn't it.

Lot's of things are sad - social networking, paintballing, OTT stag dos, Strip Clubs, watching football, re-enactments, playing computer games, being a salesman, driving too fast, drinking too much, trying to keep up with the Jones, watching too much TV, snorting cocaine to have a good time, listening to Rap as a white person, forming an Ultras group....
  • Options

Lot's of things are sad - social networking, paintballing, OTT stag dos, Strip Clubs, watching football, re-enactments, playing computer games, being a salesman, driving too fast, drinking too much, trying to keep up with the Jones, watching too much TV, snorting cocaine to have a good time, listening to Rap as a white person, forming an Ultras group....
    Posting on another football clubs fans forum ? ;0)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't care about Millwall - would never go there or Palace as I refuse to give them any of my money!
    So you don't care about Millwall, yet you refuse to go to watch Charlton play at Millwall because you don't wanna give us any money?

So you must care about Millwall then?
    Maybe I should have said, I don't care FOR Millwall -sorry but sure you got my meaning!
  • Options
    Blimey, this thread...what can I say?
    I've been following it and have been gobsmacked by some of the comments. It's pretty embarrassing.

I come from a large Millwall supporting family from Rotherhithe, apart from me and my 2 older brothers the entire family support Millwall, my brothers went to Charlton because we had moved to Greenwich. From the age of 5 (1964) I was taken to The Den by my dad one week and then to The Valley the week after by my brothers. We used to stand in the little terrace in front of the seats at The Den. My Grandad worked on the docks so did my dad and many uncles...proper Millwall!!
    My brothers never went to Millwall with my dad and all alone I gradually became known as the "Charlton fan", I remember the CBL singing "if you all hate Charlton clap your hands" when they weren't even playing us and the week before a match at Charlton they'd all be singing "if you're all going Charlton clap yer hands", it was a frenzy of excitement. Maybe because they never played West Ham back then Charlton was definitely the biggest game of the season by a mile.
    I stopped going to Millwall with my dad about 1970, he is 83 now and still goes every week in a wheelchair with a carer and they all love him down there as he is quite a well known character.
    I vaguely remember in 1968 or 69 some Charlton skinheads attacking the CBL (maybe soundasa£ will remember more) and after quite a big punch up getting run out into the seats along the side. I also remember a friendly or testimonial game against West Ham at The Den probably about 1970 where The Hammers fans took over a big area of the CBL and it was kicking off for ages and a "no mans land" was created between the 2 sets of fans.

An impression is being created that somehow Millwall fans are different from us, well when did that happen?
    Charlton fans are all trainspotters and anoraks and Millwall fans are all thugs. What a load of fucking rubbish!

I think Bunny is right and Millwall fans should be proud of what happened at Huddersfield, rightly so they stuck up for themselves.
    We don't do that at Charlton.....do we fuck! We have loads of instances where we have had to fight our way out of grounds up north or in a pub somewhere like Burnley.
    It's just that it becomes news because it's Millwall.
    I remember the B Mob giving a kicking to a load of Pompey at Leicester Sq back in the 80's, they were shouting "come on Millwall" at us, they couldn't bring themselves to admit they were getting done by Charlton. That's why you don't read about us in books although Cass Pennent does mention that Charlton took the Northbank at Arsenal in 1969 in his book "Terrace Legends"
    We have had loads and loads of instances all through the 70's and 80's and at loads of different places and I don't remember us coming off worse many times.
    Cue Goonerhater!

We are no match for Millwall in the aggro stakes, I'll be the first to admit that but it is just because of numbers...we aint any different.

What does annoy me is the "we don't care about Charlton" attitude that is spouted off by some Millwall fans over the last few years (not my cousins BTW), who are they trying to kid? And to really rub it in Crystal P have jumped on the bandwagon, who the fuck are they?
    Is it fashionable to say "we don't care about Charlton" or something?

We all know that's far from the truth.

And for the record I hate Millwall with a passion. No-one else, just Millwall.

Excellent post DFT.
  • Options

Absolutely. But, that's me.
  • Options

Absolutely. But, that's me.
    Only joking Bunny you are more than welcome here.

• Options
    Don't quite think you're 100% with your description of Jim Bunny. I think it's more complex than just people wanting to be something else for 2 hours.

But I think it changes for each individual.
  • Options
    Don't quite think you're 100% with your description of Jim Bunny. I think it's more complex than just people wanting to be something else for 2 hours.

But I think it changes for each individual.
    It does...i was explaining more the stereotype of either club, and perhaps where it's come from.

• Options
    Two Millwall fans having a disagreement on a Charlton forum. Priceless.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Whilst my own life experiences in Belfast and Jaffna turned me off from any more violence you have to be sticking your head in the sand to believe we are all innocent anoracks, I have memories of QPR away 1-1 draw early 90's, Chelsea in the pre play off game (though I recall quite a few Millwall in our away end to have a go at Chelsea), A Burnley minibus being ambushed at the Valley in quite spectacular style even from a nuetrals perspective around 93, Sheff Wed away in the cup a few years ago where we won 4-2, Bolton away cup quarter final os the ground and at the station and in more recent years, Norwich at home when they won the title? And Palace away, midweek, we lost 1-0

Whilst not involved directly I do recall most of the Anoraks Charlton fans were wearing were Ellesse, Stone Island and laterly North Face so we certainly have our share of oiks when they come out to play!
  • Options
    You call that a disagreement? Crickey ...on HoF you needed to have PMed someone an offer of a 'meet' to even be considered to have had a slight tiff.

• Options
    You call that a disagreement? Crickey ...on HoF you needed to have PMed someone an offer of a 'meet' to even be considered to have had a slight tiff.

Sounds like too many Jim 's on HOF
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sounds like too many Jim 's on HOF
    Indeed.
  • Options
    I also reckon there are fans of both clubs who go, yes because they are passionate about their club (an internal passion we all feel which shows itself in different ways by our behaviour at matches) but also dead keen on the football.
    Fans who get a kick out of their team playing well, unexpected results, the ongoing development of a young player, the success or failure of a new signing, the tactics employed, the strategies used, the spectacular, beautiful, awful or funny moments that happen in games. There are fans of both Millwall and Charlton who get a kick out of (dare I say it) the sport, but especially want their team to be really good and glorious at it.
    I remember a Millwall fan (and in a way I understand the sentiment) saying about a famous FA Cup win at Everton that Millwall won 'both on and off the field'. The fact they were thrilled by the ON the field win tells me there are Millwall fans I have things in common with. I think Millwall and Charlton fans may have slightly different definitions regarding what it means to win OFF the field as well.
  • Options
    Well said, Seth .

Time to draw a line under all this now ?
  • Options
    Can we all just agree that millsmall are scum and go to bed?
  • Options
    Are you asking permission? I thought we did that some time ago in this thread,..although I still object to the silly millsmall jibe. In the all-time average league position table we're just above the Championship relegation zone, Charlton are in mid table. It's a bit of an empty boast...stick to the stuff about us being spanners/scum etc.
  • Options
    Are you asking permission? I thought we did that some time ago in this thread,..although I still object to the silly millsmall jibe. In the all-time average league position table we're just above the Championship relegation zone, Charlton are in mid table. It's a bit of an empty boast...stick to the stuff about us being spanners/scum etc.
    Seems millsmall has more effect on you than the scum jibes so from now on its millsmall for me ;0)

• Options
    Seems millsmall has more effect on you than the scum jibes so from now on its millsmall for me ;0)

Knock yourself out. We're quite happy being a small club - just a bit weird that another small club uses it as a jibe. Like I said - you're on to more of a winner with the scum stuff! That hurts....we wanna be loved! :)