Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Strikers to ever wear the Charlton shirt

Comments

• Options
    Yea I think if some tried hard that puts them out of the running.
    M Bent
    JFH
    Jeffers

Not sure about the other two
  • Options
    Mike Small (useless)
    Barry Endean (Couldn't score)
    Dennis Baily (Big disappointment following his hatrick at Man U for QPR)
    JFH (Two stone overweight)
    Svennson (Put himself about, but did little else)
  • Options
    Morning, I need to find the worst 5 CAFC strikers ever, ideally the most consistently bad should top the list, with the odd example of their lack of ability wuld be appreciated.
    Sorry but why do you "need" to know this?
  • Options
    Chris Dickson
    Bobby Hunt
    George Hope
    Lawrie Abrahams
    John Arnold
  • Options
    Morning, I need to find the worst 5 CAFC strikers ever, ideally the most consistently bad should top the list, with the odd example of their lack of ability wuld be appreciated.
    Its for a Football League charity article

• Options
    I don't agree with Svensson - he was useful to bring on an mix things up a bit - I loved him for that.

I'd vote for Varney the man who's goals were going to fire us back up to the Premiership - sad things is I believed that when I read it.
  • Options
    I liked Matty Svensson and I thought Varney was just unlucky being at Charlton at that time. I would have liked to have seen Varney working under Curbs. Think he could have got a lot more out of him.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm willing to believe Andy Gray had an injury which stopped us seeing the best of him, although it does raise the question of why we signed him when we did. Lawrie Abrahams, Mark McCammon, Mike Small and Frank Nouble were all poor, but I'm still wondering what Leon Clark was all about last year. Mooney was a classic case of a player who started OK but just seemed to wither away into total ineffectiveness as time went on.

I was talking to a fella who I thought had no interest in football, but who surprised me by saying he used to go to Charlton, he said watching Lawrie Abrahams finished him off. Some of these guys cast a long shadow......
    Gray got a couple of goals at Barnsley, mostly pens, but my mate said he's one of the worst footballers he's ever seen at Oakwell. No touch, no intelligence, looks confused and lost unless the ball's on the spot or someone smashes the ball at his head faster than he has time to think. I think he's just a crap player all round. Or he's been injured his entire career
  • Options
    O
    Its for a Football League charity article

Ok mate... For me jeffers abbott svennson bent gray
  • Options
    Every time this question is asked the name of Barry Endean springs immediately to mind. No doubts no second thoughts: Barry's the man!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't agree with Svensson - he was useful to bring on an mix things up a bit - I loved him for that.

I'd vote for Varney the man who's goals were going to fire us back up to the Premiership - sad things is I believed that when I read it.
    Agreed, I remember at the start of our first Championship season, sticking a tenner on Charlton to be promoted/Varney top scorer double! I honestly thought I had a chance...
  • Options

Agreed, I remember at the start of our first Championship season, sticking a tenner on Charlton to be promoted/Varney top scorer double! I honestly thought I had a chance...
    i know someone who done £50 on that in the 2nd season! how wrong.
  • Options
    Barry Endean has to be up there. I can still vaguely remember him at the Covered End making a rare bit of space for himself and then failing to contact with the ball at all as he went to side foot the ball past the keeper.

On statistics, Leon McKenzie comes out quite badly too, but I can't say I ever saw him play. Is he a contender?
  • Options
    Carlton Cole & JFH
  • Options
    Chris Dickson
    Bobby Hunt
    George Hope
    Lawrie Abrahams
    John Arnold
    I was going to say Bobby Hunt, but on checking, he scored 11 in 36 games, not bad!
    I see he's into politics these days :
    http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/9635300.Bobby_takes_stand_in_council_election/

• Options
    this could challenge the 'rumours' thread in length.
  • Options
    Kevin Lisbie and Jay Bothroyd
  • Options
    this could challenge the 'rumours' thread in length.
    I was just thinking the same
  • Options
    Kevin Lisbie and Jay Bothroyd
    Lisbie?? Are you having a laugh!! Not saying he was world class but certainly not in the worst 5 strikers in our history!
  • Options
    didn't we once use phil chapple as a striker?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This list might help jog a few memories.

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/charlton/charlton.htm
  • Options
    Mike Small
    Frank Nouble
    Pawel Abbot
    Martin Pringle
    John MacDonald
  • Options
    andy gray was pretty poor
  • Options
    Bothroyd actually managed to score more goals than JFH and Marcus Bent, but in less appearances. For that, he can't make the list.
  • Options
    Barry Endean. 1 goal in 27 games I think it was.
  • Options

I'd vote for Varney the man who's goals were going to fire us back up to the Premiership - sad things is I believed that when I read it. </

Saga I think i think Chris Dickson nicked that line.

• Options
    Hasselbaink- overweight and absolutely no threat to the opposition
    Marcus Bent- 2.5 million has to go down as one of Curbs biggest mistakes
    Mooney- shocking
    McLeod- 1.5 million, released by Barnet says it all
    Nouble- see Mooney
  • Options
    Izale McLeod
  • Options
    Martin Pringle (Way too pretty)
    Garth Crooks was well past his sell by date when he played at Selhurst
    Mr Leaburn (saw him get tackled by a corner flag at Brentford)
    Andy jONES
    Jason Lee
  • Options
    Martin Pringle (Way too pretty)
    Garth Crooks was well past his sell by date when he played at Selhurst
    Mr Leaburn (saw him get tackled by a corner flag at Brentford)
    Andy jONES
    Jason Lee
    Garth Crooks the bloke who payed a big part in keeping us up in both 86/87 and 87/88 one of our worst strikers?