Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Strikers to ever wear the Charlton shirt

Comments

• Options
    Has to be Jimmy Floyd and Marcus bent. Mercenaries that just couldn't be bothered. Someone above mentioned Bradley Allen for some reason. He was a cracking little striker that was blighted by injuries. I liked Pringle too . Both had more desire than Bent or JFH ever had.
    Pringle may have had more desire........but he was still useless!!

Well i didnt think so. Scored twice as many goals as Jimmy fat boy Hasslebank. Give me a player with passion & desire who isn't any good over a player who has neither and is still no good. ( and is on 30k a week)
    Beds. Matter of opinions. Agree with you there, but effort alone is not enough at the highest level. Don't really know what happened to JFH, but you are right...... he was dire for us

• Options
    Pringle was ok. He wouldn't even be in the top 30 worst strikers.
  • Options
    Can't look beyond Izale Mcleod, what a piss-poor player he looked for us.
  • Options
    Izale McClown
    Kakpo Sodje
    Chris Dickson
    Leon Clarke
    Have to agree with all of these.

I don't know why ralph milne is included under this thread, he wasn't a striker. He needs to be added to the 'worst midfielders to wear a charlton shirt' thread...
  • Options
    JFH wore the largest shorts ever seen at the Valley.
  • Options
    For sheer out right smug arrogant waste of spaceness my vote goes to Marcus Bent, there are many that were technically worse but he was the biggest.......... ever to play for us in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    For sheer out right smug arrogant waste of spaceness my vote goes to Marcus Bent, there are many that were technically worse but he was the biggest.......... ever to play for us in my humble opinion.
    100% this......he genuinely strutted around like he was Charlie Big Potatoes. When in fact he was utter *****.
  • Options
    Barry Endean was absolutely hopeless. Regrettably, he turned down Millwall in favour of a transfer to us in our 1972 relegation season. I remember him getting absolutely vitriolic abuse at the Den as a result in the days of unsegregated crowds.

Dick Plumb and Bobby Hunt were honest guys and both tried extremely hard but were amongst the most technically limited forwards that I have seen in Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    100% this......he genuinely strutted around like he was Charlie Big Potatoes. When in fact he was utter *****.
    I remember having a really bad feeling when David Moyes, who never says a bad word against anyone, basically did an interview saying £2.5 million for Marcus Bent was an unbelieveable offer and he was perfectly happy to be shot of him. Obviously he didn't word it exactly like that but it set off alarm bells. He scored the equaliser with the back of his head against Chelsea on his debt and then did nothing else ever. Useless
  • Options
    marcus bent
    andy gray
    izale mcleod
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember having a really bad feeling when David Moyes, who never says a bad word against anyone, basically did an interview saying £2.5 million for Marcus Bent was an unbelieveable offer and he was perfectly happy to be shot of him. Obviously he didn't word it exactly like that but it set off alarm bells. He scored the equaliser with the back of his head against Chelsea on his debt and then did nothing else ever. Useless
    I remember Moyes making a point of how honourably we conducted the transfer etc, etc. I think it was a ploy to keep the media listening while one of their players (probably Big Dunc, no-one would try mugging him) was sent to cash the cheque before we saw MB play. They were terrified Curbs would say "you sure he's Darrens twin?"

• Options
    kenny achampong.he was so crap tht the lst part of his surname was changed bydeed poll to record how badlyhe stank as a forward.
  • Options
    Leaburn was voted Player of the Year in 1994 which people often overlook, he should not be mentioned here, always tried hard and was thrust into a struggling team too soon at Selhurst coz there wasn't anyone else. My vote goes to Jimmy Floyd Piggybank and Pawel Abbott. Pardew spending £1.5M on Izale McLeod wasn't funny, but that wasn't the players fault.
  • Options
    Somebody higher up the thread suggested Andy Jones lacked talent, that's not true.

He was a talenter player, certainly good enough to play at the top-level (and actually scored goals for us too) but his real problem was a lack of dedication as a pro.

If long suffering fans remember rightly he arrived looking like a lean, tough as teak middleweight and by the time he left he looked like a podgy light-heavyweight.

You didn't have to be a genius to work out the problem.
  • Options
    JFH
    Marcus Bent
    I McC
    Chris Dickson
    Luke Varney

Poor in talent rich in wages........
  • Options
    Chris Jones was well past his best when he joined Charlton. But he certainly wasn't Tommy Langley bad. Tommy failed to recapture his Chelsea form when he played for Palace around this time.
  • Options
    Thanks for that, the article has been done and I have chosen a worst 5, your input was valued!
  • Options
    Thanks for that, the article has been done and I have chosen a worst 5, your input was valued!
    Can you tell us the final choice Pete?
  • Options
    David Whyte
    Clive Mendonca
    Andy Hunt
    Darren Bent
    Bradley Wright Phillips
    O sh#t....for some reason after reading all the above threads i thought of the last 5 strikers to score 20+ plus goals in a season

Now to continue the thread...
    Martin Pringle (MIGHT BE HARSH)
    Matt Svensson
    Jason Lee
    Francis Jeffers
    Izale McLeod
    IMO
  • Options
    Mathias Svensson was awesome in the 00/01 season, didnt score in the next 2 and half seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Malcom Partridge
    George Hope
    Barry Endean
    JFH
    mARCUS bENT
  • Options
    Barry Endean and Dickie Plumb................OMG.........and people moan now!
  • Options
    Iain Ferguson.
  • Options
    Iain Ferguson.
    Iain Ferguson played one game away at Derby in late 1989 on loan from Hearts I think, this cannot count here though as this was more of a trial and he wasn't our player.

• Options
    Baldock. Season 2012/13.

He was hailed as the new Mendonca when he signed for a surprising £3m by Chris Powell (should never have been sacked in my opinion). Only scored an own goal.

I'm just glad that Capello tried Evina up front in his first game in charge as without those 37 goals we would never have been champions.
  • Options
    Please don't include Leaburn - I raged a war against the idiots who didn't undertsand his worth to the team at the time and don't wan't to go back there!
  • Options
    Jason Lee was alright for us I thought, despite all the Fanatasy Football League stuff
  • Options
    I was thinking Bothroyd as well. Looked the most comically awkward, clumsy player on the ball. Did take a good free kick, mind.
  • Options

Baldock. Season 2012/13.

He was hailed as the new Mendonca when he signed for a surprising £3m by Chris Powell (should never have been sacked in my opinion). Only scored an own goal.

I'm just glad that Capello tried Evina up front in his first game in charge as without those 37 goals we would never have been champions.

good sense of humour!!! like it.
  • Options
    Value for money - McLeod, Gray, JFH, Marcus Bent.
    hawksmoor said:

I was thinking Bothroyd as well. Looked the most comically awkward, clumsy player on the ball. Did take a good free kick, mind.

Thought that award went to Amdy Faye! Akpo Sodje didn't look the most natural on the ball either.