Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Strikers to ever wear the Charlton shirt

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Agree about both those Scoham. What was that game where Sodje had to play most it up front on his own? We must have had a couple of sendings off or injuries (was it Swindon at home?). Fair play to him, he worked bloody hard that game, but it really wasn't pretty to look at.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Well Dicko has just opened his account in the Champions League, so I doubt he cared that some consider him one of out worst strikers. Limasol 3-0, so likely to get more chances to score.
  • Options
    Johnny Ostergard, JFH and Lawrie Abrahams
  • Options
    Think it's really unfair to include Dennis Rommerdhal in this thread. Was not a great success for us but was used poorly by Curbs IMHO and to be fair has plied his trade all his career at far bigger clubs than us and ever present for a pretty good international team.
  • Options
    Kevin lisbie david money
  • Options
    Izale Mcleod
    David Mooney
    Leon Clarke
    Tresor Kandol
    Svetoslav Todorov
  • Options
    Marcus Bent and Hasselwank
  • Options
    cafc1996 said:

Izale Mcleod
    David Mooney
    Leon Clarke
    Tresor Kandol
    Svetoslav Todorov

Toddy would have been brilliant if he hadn't been injured all the time. I really thought he'd get over his injuries with us but that Plymouth match saw to that. Real shame.
  • Options
    agreed, todorov had a quality touch and was worth a gamble. Was great for us (goal at palace) until rob styles organised his other knee to get obliterated.
  • Options
    Mike Small and Akpo Sodje.

Akpo's control was the worst I've ever seen of any 'Pro'. Triangle feet.

But by a wafer, Mike Small is the all time worst though.

Never seen a player run backwards whilst trying to go forwards.

Unique talent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Akpo Sodje cannot believe we had a player that bad on our books, the whole squad that season was piss poor to be fair
  • Options
    No-one can surely look beyond Mike Small. He not only looked like a poor striker, he looked like he'd never stepped foot on a football pitch before.
  • Options
    I quite liked both the Sodje's.I know I am in a minority,but I thought both were real 100 per centers.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I quite liked both the Sodje's.I know I am in a minority,but I thought both were real 100 per centers.

Quite right.
  • Options
    Yeah me too...never disgraced themselves in an Addicks shirt as far as I can remember.
  • Options

Yeah me too...never disgraced themselves in an Addicks shirt as far as I can remember.

100 percenters but S Sodje's red cards against Norwich and Swindon (fairly similar two footed lunges) were more than stupid.

As for Akpo, great performance in that Swindon game, tried hard but he was a bit of a laughing stock.

• Options
    Very harsh comments on Akpo Sodje.

The bloke - in the old money - is a third division centre-forward, what do people expect on a free transfer from Sheffield Wednesday? Marco Van Basten?

Sure, he was limited but he gave it the kitchen sink when he was out there and in a couple of games (Swindon, Leeds at The Valley) he was very, very good and earnt us crucial points.

For mine, putting aside anomalies like Mike Small, the worst striker I have seen at Charlton in terms of performances would have to be Marcus Bent - the bloke was supposed to be a Premier League striker but seemed to have no discernible talent at all.

He could not score, was poor in the air, gave the ball away, did not close people down enough, never got in behind people and thought he was too good for the place.

I think I only saw Marcus Bent play one decent game at the club, that was the 2-0 home win over Liverpool - and even then he missed two sitters.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your opinions, here is the reason why, I expect there will be some who don't agree, and thats fine, but its for a good cause http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/do-an-event/football-league/best-no9s/weekly-articles/week-1/welcome
  • Options
    I played a game in as striker in My CAFC shirt once...
  • Options
    Me - When I played for Charlton in the Football Aid games at the Valley, I was shocking!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafc1996 said:

Svetoslav Todorov

Toddy would have been brilliant if he hadn't been injured all the time. I really thought he'd get over his injuries with us but that Plymouth match saw to that. Real shame.
    Never Toddy, his goal vs Palace alone was enough to earn him a medal.

• Options
    I'd say Hasselbaink, purely because of his reputation and what was expected of him. He never tried. Here for the money.
  • Options
    ron saunders
    mike small
    izale mcleod
    gordon riddick
    leon clarke
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ron Saunders.............can't believe you're saying that lolwray??

In his career he scored 201 goals in 390 games.
    His record for us was 28 goals in 68 games (not at all shabby!)....he finished top scorer for us in his last season, he was around 35/36 at the time.....and 8 times for other clubs he was with....mostly Pompey of course.
    On page 208 of The Valiant 500 Colin Cameron describes him as 'a great favourite at The Valley'....a view I wholeheartedly endorse.
    You're comment seems so implausable that I'm left thinking you have most likely mixed him up with someone else?

• Options
    Ricardo Fuller.... you heard it here first. I am joking before the mods have to step in (again.)
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Ricardo Fuller.... you heard it here first. I am joking before the mods have to step in (again.)

Dam beat me too it

• Options
    Sorry Scabby. And sorry Ricardo... can't be too libellous now can I?
  • Options
    Clarke
    Clarke
    Clarke
    Clarke
    And finally Clarke