Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

(2012) Sporting Lisbon V Charlton Ath (FT: 0-1 Jackson) - Match thread / post match views

Comments

• Green was excellent, hope that silences his detracters on here. Liked the trialist too pacey and direct. I wonder what our best side might be.

hamer

solly - athough wilson was good first half
    wiggings
    Morrison
    Cort (although mambo and taylor were good)

Green
    Jacko
    Stephens
    Kareem

BWP
    Kermo

I can see this or possibly haynes in for bwp to make a 433 away from home.

• I'd like to see Cook in that team, he's looked good both games so far.
  • Smith looked quality, Cook's goal that should've been was a corker, and even Mambo No.5 popped up! Baldock who? Besides, if old Acworth's as accurate as he always is he's on his merry way to Ipswich with BWP.

Btw, adding Acworth on Facebook for a laugh was a bad idea. A bad bad idea.

Care to share any gems ?

First half thought Bover looked good. Second Smith and Solly looked good. Green hasn't miraculously improved over the summer though !
  • I know it was only a friendly and probably against a very rusty Lisbon but we played some lovely football there on the ground. Certainly made me less worried about potential new signings needed to compete
  • Wagstaff looks very comfortable centrally, as does JJ and Kerkar showed flashes in his 15 minute cameo.

That's without mentioning the front three (Green, Cook, Smith) who I thought were very effective and showed great understanding.
  • se9addick said:

Smith looked quality, Cook's goal that should've been was a corker, and even Mambo No.5 popped up! Baldock who? Besides, if old Acworth's as accurate as he always is he's on his merry way to Ipswich with BWP.

Btw, adding Acworth on Facebook for a laugh was a bad idea. A bad bad idea.

Care to share any gems ?

First half thought Bover looked good. Second Smith and Solly looked good. Green hasn't miraculously improved over the summer though !
    I would add Cook to the list of 2nd half best players as well
  • Green was excellent, hope that silences his detracters on here. Liked the trialist too pacey and direct. I wonder what our best side might be.

hamer

wiggings
    Morrison

Green
    Jacko
    Stephens
    Kareem

BWP
    Kermo

not sure 15 mins of kareem is enough to suggest he should be a first team player
  • strange isnt, as i thought green was quite wasteful
  • Does anyone know how many changes Lisbon made for the second half
  • yeah good shout mike,

and smith was good too. some very nice slection headaches. I also thought Bover was good. I think if we get a decent start to the season then we could nick a play off spot. who knows?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2012
    1-0 against Sporting Leaburn is a fine result.

Missed JJ goal though, too busy playing FM2012 , clocked up 603 hours, trying to catch up with Scoham! :-0
  • His name is Salim anyway.

hamer

wiggins
    Morrison

Green
    Jacko
    Stephens
    Kareem

BWP
    Kermo

No Hollands? I know he's not 100% at the moment but he was a big part of last years team.

Also we need to see more of Kerkar to make a judgement.
  • Mike said:

I know it was only a friendly and probably against a very rusty Lisbon but we played some lovely football there on the ground. Certainly made me less worried about potential new signings needed to compete

Haven't SL got Europa Cup in a week? Must have started before us if so.
  • Hollands underwent a toe operation so would be out for a few more weeks I believe...
  • Mike said:

I know it was only a friendly and probably against a very rusty Lisbon but we played some lovely football there on the ground. Certainly made me less worried about potential new signings needed to compete

Haven't SL got Europa Cup in a week? Must have started before us if so.
    I'm sure I heard they came back to training after us, not sure though.
  • Never read anything much into psf's but we looked better the longer game went on and a lot of postives to take from that performance. Very good work out all 'round.
  • yup all about opinions, he did loose it a few times, but made some good tackles and it was a terrific delivery for the goal. As I have said before maybe there can be a place for him and waggy in a 433
    I really liked wilson too,

just thinking we are only really missing the tenatious box to box midfeilder, hollands is it when fit, but I wonder if powell thinks solly could do that? not a crazy thought, but he looked far happier once at right back tonight. The transition would obvisouly need time.
  • Great win
    Was this a strong sporting side?

They had quite a few first teamers from what I can see based on their wiki pages. The striker that played in the first half for them scored 14 goals last season in 24 games.

• just thinking we are only really missing the tenatious box to box midfeilder, hollands is it when fit, but I wonder if powell thinks solly could do that? not a crazy thought, but he looked far happier once at right back tonight. The transition would obvisouly need time.

Pritchard?

Sporting play the MASSIVE on sunday.
  • Sponsored links:

• for me, solly has to be rb and only rb. green looked gd imo, worked hard. great delivery 4 goal but a couple of terrible balls before that
  • SCP were only as rusty as us. If anything, they should've had the advantage because they're more used to that kind of heat.

I'm on holiday so couldn't watch it.

Could somebody tell me how done of the youngsters performed (Bover, smith, Mambo, Cousins etc) and how did Solly get on in the middle. I know he played there for the yoof team.
  • yup all about opinions, he did loose it a few times, but made some good tackles and it was a terrific delivery for the goal. As I have said before maybe there can be a place for him and waggy in a 433
    I really liked wilson too,

just thinking we are only really missing the tenatious box to box midfeilder, hollands is it when fit, but I wonder if powell thinks solly could do that? not a crazy thought, but he looked far happier once at right back tonight. The transition would obvisouly need time.

I've heard Wilson has played centre mid before and has a good engine so maybe he could slot in there on occasion if need be.
  • Overall a very impressive display particualy 2nd half. Stand out performances for me were actually Smith & Cook up top. Very impressed with both. Yann certainly looks like he has eaten too many Croissants during the summer. Needs to work that off in the next few weeks. Certainly a lot more optimistic about this season than I was 2 weeks ago. Onwards & Upwards!!
  • Good fun and nice to win and all that malarky, but i really would not read too much into all that.

Crawley will be a much better test than that tonight.
  • Highlights. Unfortunately it doesn't include the 2 goals that should've stood because Portuguese T.V didn't feel like showing how battered Sporting got (Vid not made by me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjeSGqXeiyY&feature=g-u-u

• Excellent 2nd half. Smith looks class, beautiful one touch lay offs once again.
  • Thanks for posting the highlights , that was kind of you , good header & delivery.
  • ...and a shout out for Jordan Cousins too. It is great that we go back to seven substitutes next season, could do us the world of good in many ways.
  • After the rout on Saturday, against Atlético Cacém (11-0), Sporting meets one week of training in Cartaya, conducting a training match against the British Charlton.
    The match had a slow pace, typical of the preparatory period of the season, with few bids of danger in the first half. Adrien (23 m) was the most dangerous, in a low shot from outside the area that passed close to the right post of goalkeeper English.

In the second part, Ricardo Sa Pinto released Cedric Smith, Gelson Fernandes, and Andrew Wilson Eduardo Martins in place of, respectively, Bruno Pereirinha, Rinaudo, Jeffrén and Elijah, with Charlton - who made no shot on goal from Marcelo in 45 minutes early-to create danger in multiple bids after the break, with Sporting trying to move the ball and create routines game between sectors.

At 60 minutes, Nuno Reis, Onyewu, Pranjic, Carrillo, Schaars and Diego Rubio entered the team, with Chilean striker to be near the goal at 63 minutes, an acrobatic kick that went over the bar.

The team 'green and white "had more possession, with the British to seek surprise counter-attack, but unable to create scoring opportunities, with Charlton to score a last-minute regulations, by a nod of the England captain Jackson, following a free side.

Sporting continued to work until Sunday in Cartaya, new game day preparation, compared to Sheffield Wednesday in Albufeira.

Sporting lined with Marcelo Boeck, Bruno Pereirinha (Cedric Smith, 45 m), Daniel Carriço (Onyewu, 59 m), Xandão (Nuno Reis, 59 m) and Insúa (Pranjic, 59 m); Rinaudo (Gelson Fernandes, 45 m), Elias (André Martins, 45 m) and Adrien Silva (Schaars, 59 m); Jeffrén (Edward Wilson, 45 m), Diego Capel (Andrew Carrillo, 59 m) and Ricky van Wolfswinkel (Diego Rubio, 59 m) .