Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(2012) Sporting Lisbon V Charlton Ath (FT: 0-1 Jackson) - Match thread / post match views

Comments

• Options
    I love the biasedness of the Portuguese press , no mention anywhere of our clear goals.
    "England captain Jackson" has a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    No mention of the two "offside" goals? What a surprise(!)
  • Options
    CAFCdamo said:

I love the biasedness of the Portuguese press , no mention anywhere of our clear goals.
    "England captain Jackson" has a nice ring to it.

You must remember Sporting are massive.

• Options
    We have to play the 4-3-3 formation next season, midfield looks much relaxed and more options to pass.
    I don't mind putting wright phillips out the team to sacrifice for this formation he definetly isn't a winger in my eyes.
  • Options
    Looked excellent in the 2nd half :)
  • Options
    your right, I pritch is a wonderfull box to box midfielder .I am a massive fan of his. the squad feels strong, but as afka says we shouldnt read too much in to this. Very positive though!

The youngsters were all good, bover looked very composed and tidy, very confident, cousins was totally comfortable and looks a good athlete, and mambo was very good too.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Records will say 1-0 but we all know it was really 3-0....and 3-0 a totally fair reflection of our performance for me.
    Obviously early days and Sporting didn't offer too much but you can only play whats put in front of you. I thought we looked sharp, confident and very lively particularly on the counter attack....impressive stuff.

Irrespective of the significance of the match, bottom line is we beat a top European club tonight and that is no mean feat.

I hope Baldock takes note of this result....
  • Options
    From that Portugese report, I love this bit:

`to create danger in multiple bids'

Can you imagine CP explaining this instruction to Danny Green ;P

• Options
    I'm curious to hear whether the Sporting team fielded a strong team having not so much knowledge of their players. All I know is that the Portuguese TV people referred to them as s "Sporting XI".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012

I'm curious to hear whether the Sporting team fielded a strong team having not so much knowledge of their players. All I know is that the Portuguese TV people referred to them as s "Sporting XI".

It was a very strong Sporting squad.

Compare tonights team..

Marcelo Boeck; Bruno Pereirinha (Cedric Soares 46), Daniel Carriço (Onyewu 59), Xandão (Nuno Reis 59), Insúa (Pranjic 59); Rinaudo (Gelson Fernandes 46); Elias (André Martins 45), Adrien Silva (Schaars, 59); Jeffrén (Wilson Eduardo, 45), Diego Capel (André Carrillo 59), Ricky van Wolfswinkel (Diego Rubio 59).

to last seasons stats..

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/portugal/sporting-clube-de-portugal/squad/

Tonights team made a lot of appearances for them.

When you add the new signings - Pranjic (Bayern Munich/Croatia) and Fernandes (ex Man City) to that, it was a decent lineup we beat.

• Options
    Could only watch the first half. Good win but it's only pre-season, concerns about certain players stepping up don't go away after a win in a friendly...

Interesting Powell again played 4-3-3. When he first came in he tried it but we didn't have the players. Get the feeling it might be the way he wants to play longer term. Did we play with Green in the front 3 and Waggy in the middle, or the other way around?

Pleased to see Smith impressed again, if he can step up this season it'll save us bringing in cover for Yann.
  • Options
    I see Kerkar got 12 minutes in the second half, doesn't look too good for him does it?
  • Options
    Didn't see the game tonight, what formation did Sporting play? Did we switch to 433 (or 4141) to match them up or was it an offensive move by us.?
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic confirmed winners of the Champions League in 2014.
  • Options
    Mrbacon said:

Charlton Athletic confirmed winners of the Champions League in 2014.

@johnnie_jackson top draw header against the team that beat the champions of England! #ChampionsLeagueCaptain2015 #cafc

We are in no way getting ahead of ourselves.
  • Options
    i was there it was exlent smith and sellem trialist was amazing :D
  • Options
    Sporting did have a strong side out. The likes of Diego Capel and Van Woolfeswinkel are highly rated, Champions League quality players.

Sporting made the UEFA Cup Semi Finals last year. We should be very proud of this result.
  • Options
    It was a friendly folks. Nice for confidence and all that but come on....Sporting have just started their pre season.
  • Options
    Oh have I missed all our other pre season friendlies? Ahem sorry we've only had one game against welling ffs. Enjoy the moment a win is a win friendly or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you take a look in the match report update on Facebook we have a few Benfica fans loving us!
  • Options
    great result, wish the season could end here.
  • Options
    Yes it was a friendly so shouldn't go overboard but encouraging none the less.

• Options
    Valley11 said:

It was a friendly folks. Nice for confidence and all that but come on....Sporting have just started their pre season.

Hey! Sporting whipped a Spanish side 11-0 last week!
  • Options

I see Kerkar got 12 minutes in the second half, doesn't look too good for him does it?

not been with the squad long tbf. He'll be involved more soon i reckon.
  • Options
    Nottingham Forest beat them 1-0 in a pre-season game the season they finished 3rd in the Champ. Omen.
  • Options
    "Ricky van Wolfswinkel" this name belongs in the stupid name thread
  • Options
    Yes it was a friendly, but very encouraging.
    people say the oppo only just back in training but we have not exactly been playing week in week out.

Be interesting to see the result against The Massive.

Also can't believe AFKA hedged his under 2.5 goals bet, by nobbling the lino.
  • Options
    too tough to pick the first team atm. so many good performers ..

hamer

solly
    morrison
    cort
    wiggins

jackson
    hollands

cook
    kermorgant
    wagstaff

BWP

and that still leaves wilson, green, smith, stephens, pritchard..

such a good squad imo