Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(2012) Sporting Lisbon V Charlton Ath (FT: 0-1 Jackson) - Match thread / post match views

Comments

• Options
    well written. good report.

• Options
    TeeC said:

well written. good report.

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    got that buzz back when i got the text through saying we'd won. can't wait for this season to start proper. boom!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    McBobbin said:

"Ricky van Wolfswinkel" this name belongs in the stupid name thread

No way that is by far one of the coolest names ever. FACT ;-)
  • Options
    Well written match report, well done young man.
  • Options
    for me,
    olster said:

got that buzz back when i got the text through saying we'd won. can't wait for this season to start proper. boom!

completely agree, it was nice to beat Welling 4-0 but this result (albeit only a PSF) showed we are in a decent position. Some very promising cameos from the likes of Cousins, Cook and Smith. The future looks bright imo
  • Options
    It is a real feather in our cap and clearly the players are very up for it, and why not after last season. It is very early though to conclude anything other than encouragement in the performance.
  • Options
    These player's know we are in the market to strengthen and no one wants to lose their place after last season. It will be hard to find a more determined bunch than these atm.
  • Options
    I'm in two minds whether we even need to strengthen tbh. Obviously we could do with a pacy left footed CB and some competition in the CM department, but the fact that only 18 or so hours ago I saw our Charlton look dangerous against an established European side only re-affirmed, after a dominant season, that this group of players just want it. Something I think this club and its fans have yearned for since we 2006/2007.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I don't think we need in order for us to strengthen to avoid relegation. Think we can stay up and CONSOLIDATE with this squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a quick look at the english translation of the Sporting website,no mention of the two "offside" goals and in an interview the Sporting manager was moaning about the grass being too long and they couldn't pass it very well...seemed to be doing ok in the first half though!
  • Options
    Good write-up, enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Make no bones about it, this is a terrific result and should give the pessimists amongst us some reniewed optimism.
  • Options
    Friendly or not, many clubs much bigger than Charlton Athletic would be very happy with this result.
  • Options
    (From the game)
    Great confidence-boosting performance and result. No-one let themself down; encouraging performances all round and interesting to see the two systems, with 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 clearly suiting some players better. Haynes in particular might benefit from that but played the 4-4-2 half yesterday - important that all squad members can adjust to both.

Eye-catching cameo from the Rangers trialist and two good displays at RB, apart from the main man. Cook impressed again, as did Smith but let's be patient with him while he feels his way. I've felt for a while that Green could do a job inside but good to see Waggy doing well there too.

Ref was a militant little dick - eager to brandish cards when players quite rightly questioned his team's ridiculous decisions, not always against us. He'll probably flourish under UEFA's dream of ruling out all contact as tackling is gradually eradicated. Utter twat and the players did well largely to remain calm.

Finally, I spoke to two Sporting fans at HT who were genuinely impressed by our standard, and needed assuring that we weren't now a Prem team after promotion. When I thanked them they reassured me that they wewren't just being polite and went away discussing the quality of second tier football in England! "We're proud of you, we're proud of you..."
  • Options
    Nice story there @Paddy7
  • Options
    Nice on @Paddy7 have a good trip
  • Options
    Good note Paddy and write-up from Alfred...thanks both. I know it's an early pre-season friendly - spoke with a Spurs fan on Friday, who reminded me of the season they were brilliant pre-season under Ramos and ended up with 2 points & Arry coming in - but the encouraging thing is the seeming ease with which the players are adapting to different systems.

Hard to translate to the pressures of a league game, with a more frenzied pace and precious points at stake, but it's great to see the comfort on the ball and the ability to switch styles.

Can't wait for the season to begin :)
  • Options
    How did the Massives do v Sporting?
  • Options
    Dosen't kick off to 8:30 tonight apparently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    on at half 8
  • Options
    wednesday 1-0 down
  • Options
    love it
  • Options
    Ooh where's OP?
  • Options
    He may show up if they get a draw or win.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    2-0 to Sporting. FT.

Making our 3-0 win WITH dodgy officials look great.
  • Options
    Actually, with the stonewall penalty we didn't get 4-0 - that is unless Sir Chris is the King of England
  • Options
    This game was four years ago today. Feels a lot longer

Remember thinking how useful Michael Smith looked and ho out of sorts Yann was
  • Options
    ITS SPORTING PORTUGAL FFS!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

ITS SPORTING PORTUGAL FFS!!!!!!!!

NO.... Its Sporting Clube de Portugal FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)