Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics: Pundits & presenters.

Comments

• Options
    jdsd42 said:

Boxing presenters have been superb - incredible insight on every fighter -

Cavendish - fish out of water
    Jackson - prefer johnny

Problem is the bbc bring in ex athletes who only know about there discipline - and want they read -

The real problem is that with so many events to cpver you are going to get a few goods and a lot of dross.

My favourite moment, which is a bit unfair to Colin Jackson is the behind the scenes seen from the hundred metres when he is shouting what's is name is coming up.

• Options
    Chris Akabusi was rocking on BBC breakfast this morning
  • Options
    Saw Jonathon Ridgeon (ex hurdler) on SSN talking about the athletics and he looked like the spit of Graham Poll

• Options
    Clare Balding has been the best so far.

Like Denise Lewis, just for being Denise Lewis.
  • Options
    Saw that PL54 all I thought was "What is Akabusi like when he's having a shag?" never seen anyone so exciteable you must be able to hear him in the next county
  • Options
    A lot of love for Jake Humphries from me, when I first saw him presenting a few years ago every part of me wanted to dislike him but I just can't, seems to put a lot of effort into researching the sports he covers.

Boardman is a great commentator as well.

I'll back the love for MJ, legend.

Can't stand Inverdale, comes across as a smug so and so, get the impression MJ isn't a fan of his either.
  • Options
    I must admit to possible bias because he trained me years ago but Stuart Storey took a lot of beating as a commentator and pundit. He was an olympic hurdler himself and a highly respected coach, Geoff Capes being arguably his most famous charge, so highly qualified.

Ironic that the PC BBC have no problem discriminating against people on age grounds.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

A lot of love for Jake Humphries from me, when I first saw him presenting a few years ago every part of me wanted to dislike him but I just can't, seems to put a lot of effort into researching the sports he covers.

Boardman is a great commentator as well.

I'll back the love for MJ, legend.

Can't stand Inverdale, comes across as a smug so and so, get the impression MJ isn't a fan of his either.

Spot on Jake's a good lad.
  • Options
    Yep forgot Stuart Len and agree great commentator
  • Options
    Dont like Jake Humphries much tbh, he sometimes comes across as patronising and he doesn't have base knowledge so though he does research, everything comes across as forced from him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In general, the standard has been brilliant.

The only ones not to come up to the mark for me has been Cavendish (just not his thing), Brendan Foster, and though i like Colin Jackson, he is just too wet and not strong enough with his opinions. Steve Cram balances commentary with honest opinion expertly. Loved watching the behind the scenes clips though.

Of the presenters, only Inverdale hasn't done it for me. Just find him a bit too cosy and self-servicing.
  • Options
    I was listening to James Cracknell on Thursday night I think it was and I thought he was slurring his words.
  • Options
    Good to hear Barry Davies again
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Curb_It said:

I was listening to James Cracknell on Thursday night I think it was and I thought he was slurring his words.

He does every so often apparently as a legacy of the serious head injuries he suffered a few years back.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3309109.ece
  • Options
    Leiws is great she should be on TV more ----sport,news anything has more personality than 75% of the whole of the Beeb in her little finger.

David Wilkie on sky talking about a silver medal " well you cant do better than that !" mind you he did say seconds later " well unless you win the gold".
  • Options
    I think that Clare Balding has been excellent. She and Mark Foster make a good team. Michael Johnson is very good too.
  • Options

The fella who presents the cycling will always be a kids tv presenter.Dont rate him.

I think Matt Baker however has made a very good transition.

Agreed, but Johnson is the best IMO.
  • Options
    I was watching one of the BBC O channels the other night and it was being hosted by a very atrtractive lady with long dark hair and dark skin.
    Any idea who she is?
  • Options

The fella who presents the cycling will always be a kids tv presenter.Dont rate him.

I think Matt Baker however has made a very good transition.

I've been loving Matt Baker's commentating on gymnastics, he gets so excited and overcome by it all. You can tell how much he loves it. When the GB mens team got a medal the whole commentary team was screaming at them down in the arena!
  • Options
    The one presenter i can't stand is Hazel Irvine. Dreadful and extremely annoying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was watching one of the BBC O channels the other night and it was being hosted by a very atrtractive lady with long dark hair and dark skin.
    Any idea who she is?

Sonali Shah ?

• Options
    Sonali Shah, she's lovely....

cannot stand Clare Balding, everyone else pretty good.
  • Options
    JT said:

Good to hear Barry Davies again

Get him back on MOTD.
  • Options
    I guess you have to split this into commentators, pundits and presenters

M Johnson, Redgrave, McEnroe are legends of their sport, who are also able to impart their knowledge to the audience as good pundits.

Cram does a good job as commentator as well, as do the swimming duo, but it's always good to hear Barry Davies.

The presenter has a different job, holding it together, switching between sports at short notice, interviewing people and generally absorbing the mood of the public. Lineker doesn't have the all around sporting knowledge and smoothness of Balding (let along legends like Lynam) but gains marks for amiability and for being a sporting legend himself, which probably makes interviews from him more special for some of the lesser known competitors.

Didn't Sue Barker present athletics 4 years ago in Beijing?
  • Options
    Asian women not usualy my taste but she is nice
  • Options
    What were Inverdale and Jackson playing at with them Billy Bunter jackets yeasterday with all the piping? Even Shearer wouldn't have attempted that amount of excessive and completely unnecessary nonsense trimmage. I like McEnroe, Johnson is good, Lineker is predictably dull.
  • Options
    Ive said this before on here but exiting an athletics meeting at Cyrstal Palace before the Athens Olympics - Michael Johnson was standing at the gate waiting for his car. So old big gob here got all excited and went "oh look who's standing there" to my mates and went to get my camera and walk towards him but he put his hand up and just shouted "NO" at me.

It was a bit embarrassing, my mates cracked up.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I presume you got him in a headlock & took one anyway ? :-)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Ive said this before on here but exiting an athletics meeting at Cyrstal Palace before the Athens Olympics - Michael Johnson was standing at the gate waiting for his car. So old big gob here got all excited and went "oh look who's standing there" to my mates and went to get my camera and walk towards him but he put his hand up and just shouted "NO" at me.

It was a bit embarrassing, my mates cracked up.

You didn't get a chance to shake his hand and say "brenda, bexleyheath"? gutting.
  • Options
    bbc three its only bloody manish!!