Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Birmingham vs. Charlton | 18th August 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Line-Ups, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction & History

Charlton, the League One Champions travel up to the Midlands for their first game in the second tier of English football for three years. Our first game is against Birmingham who were defeated by Blackpool in the league’s play-off semi-finals last season. A failure to submit accounts towards the back end of last season saw The Blues placed under a transfer embargo which threatened to curtail their progress along with the end of season departure of Chris Hughton to Norwich. Since then though the embargo has been lifted and former Huddersfield boss, Lee Clarke has taken over at the helm.

The Addicks have a good record against their upcoming opponents winning 20 games compared to 17 for Birmingham. Over the past eight games (home and away), Charlton have only lost once – a 3-2 defeat in November 20088 in which we were unable to overcome a 10-man Brum side (Quashie sent off) despite goals from Gray and Bouazza. Before then, the last defeat was at The Valley in 2003 when Robbie Savage and an excellent Christophe Dugarry scored the goals in a 2-0 reverse.

The Opposition

Birmingham have been astute in their summer signings picking up established players on free transfers picking up Hayden Mullins, Peter Lovenkrands and old friend Darren Ambrose to add to a much unchanged squad from last season. The only significant exit from St Andrews has been Ben Foster to city rivals West Brom so we should expect a tough test in our opening Championship game. A convincing 5-1 win against Barnet in the League Cup should send out a warning to Chris Powell’s men who will face stern opposition in front of what is always a fervent crowd.

Potential Line Up

The Addicks kept to stereotype by crashing out of a cup competition to lower league opposition midweek against Leyton Orient yet not much can be read into pretty much second string line-up. Unlike last season, Charlton have had a quiet summer in the transfer market so most fans travelling up should be able to recognise the first team come Saturday. In fact, it may be the first time in years since we kicked off a season with no debutants.

Expect to see the excellent back five from last season with Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Morrison and CorTaylor starting for Chris Powell’s men. Throughout pre-season, there has been experimentation with formation switching between diamonds, flat midfield, one up front and 4-3-3 and although the structure may change, the personnel is unlikely to. Expect to see Stephens, Hollands, Jackson and Wagstaff/Green/Pritchard supporting BWP and Kermorgant up front. The luxury of having seven substitutes this season means more opportunity to affect change from the bench and impressive performances from new signings Kerkar and Cook are the two most likely ‘first options’ if things are not going well.

Prediction

There has been a lull in excitement around The Valley despite running away with the league last season yet Chris Powell and his squad need to have confidence in their ability and continue to ride on the wave of incredible success. The Addicks have a tough start to the season, so those first points on the board are going to be important. 1-1.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• I can't help looking at some of the other team's squads and feeling daunted. How good are our players? We'll get an indication on Saturday.

I'd take a draw if offered it now, but will be pi$$ed off if we throw away a 3-goal lead to draw 3-3 (obviously).
  • Despite playing the whole game against Leyton Orient I'd still expect Cort to partner Morrison at the back. Jackson, Stephens and Pritchard seems a given in the middle as I doubt whether Hollands could last long as he's still getting back to full fitness. I think Wagstaff may have done enough to fill the other berth. There could be plenty of goals in this one and more importantly getting this fixture out of the way this early on could prove a blessing. A narrow 3 - 2 defeat.
  • Same starting XI as Fulham

Hamer
    Solly Morrison Cort Wiggins
    Pritchard Hollands Stephens Jackson
    BWP Kermongant.

Charlton get off to a poor start but recover in second half to win 2 - 1
  • I think Brum will be right up there come the end of the season, 2-0 defeat.
  • if we play 4-4-2 then id expect the team to be as Henrys above.

for some reason though, i think Powell might go defensive and play a 4-5-1 and really try to compact the middle.

still feeling optimistic and rightly so. we arent a bad side.

2-2
  • Given our poor first halves I would play 5 in midfield.

Hammer
    Solly Morrison. Cort. Wiggins
    Waggy. Pritchard. Hollands. Stephens. Jackson.
    Kermit

BWP to come on after 60.
  • Basing this on absolutley nothing. 1-1. yann the man off the mark with a first half bullet header. lovenkrands equalizes and charlton hold on for a point with great defending in the last 20 minutes.
  • 1-0 to the champions
  • Feeling confident of a good performance but think brum are very strong - ill go for 1-1 at best!
  • 3-0 Nam, sadly
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 0 loss.

Still be a good day out though
  • Barnet all over again, 5-1 Brum.
  • 2-0 to Birmingham
  • Charlton hold out for 85 minutes but lose to an Wanker Ambrose goal.
  • Redrobo said:

Given our poor first halves I would play 5 in midfield.

Hammer
    Solly Morrison. Cort. Wiggins
    Waggy. Pritchard. Hollands. Stephens. Jackson.
    Kermit

BWP to come on after 60.

Not a bad shout that.

Tough game. 1-1
  • Kermorgant would do a job in the 4 5 1 formation , yet I feel he would be wasted. A player of his caliber needs to play football rather than using his physical strength
  • Birmingham 1-2 Charlton
  • Same starting XI as Fulham

Hamer
    Pritchard Hollands Stephens Jackson
    BWP Kermongant.

Charlton get off to a poor start but recover in second half to win 2 - 1

Expect the same lineup with players like Wags, Greena and Cook as potential changes but unfortunatly don't share your optimism. Think we will lose narrowly 2-1 Brum
  • 1-1 , Good to get a point as Birmingham should be in top 6/2
  • My first post..
    My team would be
    Hamer
    Pritchard Stephens Hollands Jackson
    Cook
    Kermit

Very impressed with Cook the other night, i just wonder whether he could play the behind the striker role,
  • Sponsored links:

• funny how in the last couple of seasons we have been at home to newly promoted teams & have come out on top - this time the roles are reversed. At best I see us scrapping a 1-1 draw, but history & my head says a 3-1 defeat
  • Would snap your hand off if you gave us a point from saturday right now.
  • shirty5 said:

Would snap your hand off if you gave us a point from saturday right now.

This (awful expression but works in this instance).
  • It'll be tough, no doubt about it but I see us squeaking a 2-1 out of this one.
  • A 3-0 shoeing

Get used to it folks

Hope I'm completely wrong
  • A 3-0 shoeing

Get used to it folks

Hope I'm completely wrong

You wll be.

• 1 - 0 loss. No shame in that.
  • 2-1 loss, but a battling performance with a lot of positives.
  • Birmingham 0-3 Charlton

We're absolulely flying at the moment. I know it's only pre-season but our current bunch of players don't really know what it is like to lose.

I expect our back 4 to stay regimented and kermorgant to be on fire

Cries of Clark not knowing what he is doing will be heard at full time.
  • Debut + former club + the 'he likes..' song = Ambrose scoring. Worth a fiver on first goal unfortunately.

Think we'll put up a battle and lose 1-0 or 2-1.