Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Birmingham vs. Charlton | 18th August 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Line-Ups, News & Views

Comments

• Think this will be a to big a game to start off with so i say Brum 3 - addicks 1
  • I find it strange that last season many people were saying that our style was better suited to the Championship and now many are saying we may struggle to adapt. Helpfully I'm caught in two minds. No idea on the score but I'd love to see an encouraging performance from key players. An influential performance from Stephens, a calm, commanding performance from Morro, class from the full backs and a Brum defender left in tears by Yann would be more important to me than a result at this stage.

Still love a win though
  • Coukdnt have pulled a harder fixture if we wanted too

A tense day all round not going to be welcome in brum thats for sure not just going to be the players in for a tough day

Be lucky to get away from there with any points but its going to be good day out

Sunshining beer sinking 2 nil loss
  • edited August 2012
    I believe that if things fall right, we can come away with a result. I know they were 'meaningless' pre-season friendlies but to beat both Sporting Lisbon and Fulham away from the Valley in pre-season is not something to be down played.

Can see both sides scoring. 1-1 or 2-1... or even 1-2 if we're lucky.
  • edited August 2012
    Really don't see what the fuss is about. We have a cracking first team on a roll...I fancy us for a draw although we will be leaving St. Andrews thinking 'we should have won that'....1-1.
  • The first 30 mins will be vital. If we go one down, I can't see us getting much change out of this game. If we stick in there, a draw or even a win is possible. Charlton's resilience won't have disappeared if we do get a foothold in the game. However, I can see that early goal coming and a 2-0 defeat being likely.
  • I think Sir Chris will really be emphasising the importance of not conceeding that early goal. Whilst the Orient game was disapointing, the cameos I saw from BWP and Pritchard showed me that they are going to be key players this season. Kermogant has the magic to get a goal out of nothing and JJ is a goalscoring midfileder of the highest order. If the team defends well as we know it is capable off, we have the quality to grab the one or two goals needed to win matches.
  • Baldock and Quinn in crowd.
  • will take a draw but love a win

2-2 sharon to score at any time.
  • COME ON YOU HADDOCK AND CHIP LOVERS!!!

i got a feeling we'll be running round the brum with our saveloys hanging out... singing i got a bigger one than you!

MOTM pickled egg to bull frog for his bullet header from the edge of the 18 yard box (GET IN)... proper hard fought victoy i tell thee.

1-0 haddocks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Birmingham 3-0 Charlton.
  • Think this will be a Sheffield type performance with a 1-0 win (what odds on a JJ free kick?)
  • we won't lose. In spite of what powell says am I the only one who wants Wilson playing on the right of midfield like he did for Stevenage last season? Outstanding there and provides the energy we need in midfield. Pritchard centre mid instead of Stephens as we cannot afford any passengers in this league away from home.
  • and a win would make it our 1300th in the League.
  • The first goal for either side is significant obviously. If we concede any time, especially early, we need to stay in the game and hold our nerve, because in the later stages we may nick an equaliser. If we are in that situation and equalise, say, with 15 mins to go we will then nick a winner, or the ref will give a dreadful decision to enable Brum to win, otherwise 1-1.
    If we score first (or early), then it will be attritional, a backs against the wall display which we will either sneak 1-0 or they will equalise.
    If Brum get a two goal lead it will more than likely be all over, the task then is damage limitation, and hope that a decent individual moment earns us a bit of respectability.
    I think we may get a very good 1-1, but I also fear we will lose at home to Leicester on Tuesday which will nullify the gains.
  • 1-1

Ambrose and Jackson
  • 0-3 BWP brace sandwiching a Yann free kick sending out a right message to the rest of the Championship and more important the nay-Sayers on CL!
  • 1-0 defeat to a late goal, but a good performance leaving us feel hard done by.
  • Oh - and we will have a player sent off (a la Rufus v Newcastle in the first game in the prem)
  • With Lee Clarkes move to Birmingham does that mean they are now a season un beaten?
  • Sponsored links:

• Can see us winning this 2-1 and silencing all the doubters :-)
  • If we do win, and I think we will at 4/1, what are all the pessimists going to moan about next?
  • cafc_joe said:

If we do win, and I think we will at 4/1, what are all the pessimists going to moan about next?

Good point.

On the flip side, if we get tonked, what will happen to the 3-0 predictions etc.

Think we have to just sit back, wait and see, and enjoy the game.

• Think we may lose this 2-1 but that not to say that's a bad thing away against one of the championships best sides. More interested to see how we play tbh. Would be v happy with a point
  • cafc_joe said:

If we do win, and I think we will at 4/1, what are all the pessimists going to moan about next?

Good point.

On the flip side, if we get tonked, what will happen to the 3-0 predictions etc.

Think we have to just sit back, wait and see, and enjoy the game.

and if my brother had a minge he'd be my sister
  • Can we get tickets on the day? Won't know if I am able to go until later tonight
  • Yes, can get tickets on day though a little dearer.

Tough, tough start.

Birmingham I think are going to be one of the top teams this season and have quality throughout their.squad.

Positives

Ours is a settled.team that knows each others game
    Promotes teams normally through up decent results on opening day

Negatives

On paper they look impressive to me, and I think possess a lot of goal threats

Get away with a point and I'll be delighted, a win ecstatic.
  • ridiculously excited about this, not expecting much but realised how much i have missed football
  • R%e Panda said:- Debut + former club + the 'he likes..' song = Ambrose scoring. Worth a fiver on first goal unfortunately.

Think we'll put up a battle and lose 1-0 or 2-1.

A plea for Psychology... I have lost count of the number of times in the last 51 seasons an ex-player has misguidedly been wound up by unneccessay abuse from the mindless few only to score or play a blinder in retaliation. Can I suggest that the best way to deal with dear Darren is to ignore him completely!!!
  • "Everyone knows Charlton went a long way down — now everyone needs to know we’re on the way back up." - Bradley Wright Phillips, August 2012.

COYR

Birmingham 0

Charlton Athletic 1
    Morrison 12'