Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JJ on the wing

Comments

• Options
    If you say so. Can't really be bothered to argue and don't want to get told off by the clan leaders, so will leave it there.
  • Options
    JJ played at the head of the midfield Diamond today, in behind the front 2. He wasn't positioned wide left. The plan was for Wiggins to provide width on the left, with Hollands joining in from the left central midfield position. I can't see how he can be blamed for not providing width or criticised for playing more in the central areas, when the manager has given him a central role.

Whether he has the legs for this level is another matter. It might take some players 6-10 games to adjust to the higher level and pace themselves better. Anyone who has tried stepping up a level will know how difficult it can be physically. Stephens & Hollands look as if they are having similar problems, as all 3 are looking leaden-footed around 70-75 mins. Don't under-estimate the difference in tempo between the Champs & League One. The opening games were Play-off intensity.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong , I love JJ as a captain , but he is not a winger ! And I feel we need an out and out left mid, is Kerkar the answer, I don't know but he's worth a try IMO
  • Options
    I don't agree that stepping up to the champ is much more physically demanding. Admittedly the intensity can go up, but I think people were right to criticize Powell a bit, as subs are needed if players are struggling
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

JJ played at the head of the midfield Diamond today, in behind the front 2. He wasn't positioned wide left. The plan was for Wiggins to provide width on the left, with Hollands joining in from the left central midfield position. I can't see how he can be blamed for not providing width or criticised for playing more in the central areas, when the manager has given him a central role.

Whether he has the legs for this level is another matter. It might take some players 6-10 games to adjust to the higher level and pace themselves better. Anyone who has tried stepping up a level will know how difficult it can be physically. Stephens & Hollands look as if they are having similar problems, as all 3 are looking leaden-footed around 70-75 mins. Don't under-estimate the difference in tempo between the Champs & League One. The opening games were Play-off intensity.

Yeah i agree.
    However i think stephens and hollands bossed the midfield for the full 70 mins and did very well.
    And why not just play jackson in a position which he has established himself in, he's nearly at he's peak age.
  • Options

Don't get me wrong , I love JJ as a captain , but he is not a winger ! And I feel we need an out and out left mid, is Kerkar the answer, I don't know but he's worth a try IMO

Agreed. After all, this is what was mentioned in the OP but the bit about not being a winger wasn't taken in. I think he would be perfect in the centre.
  • Options
    getting found out in this league, hate to say it but i'm not sure he's good enough
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

getting found out in this league, hate to say it but i'm not sure he's good enough

Problem is chris powells loyalty to players
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Problem is chris powells loyalty to players
    its obvious that people on here have none anyway! a couple of bad games and people slating him. He cannot be played LM, its CM or bench IMO, but lets give him a few more games before slating him please
  • Options
    I'm not slating him as a player , he just isn't a winger
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought last season that he wasn't going to be great on the wing in the Championship. I have always seen him as a CM anyway. Even though I love him to bits!
  • Options
    He isn't played as a 'winger' a la Wagstaaff and Green. He is a left midfielder. His job is not to take on the full back but to provide balance to the team and to fill in for Wiggins when he bombs on.
  • Options
    We are only three games into the season chaps, lets judge it a bit further in I think.

Purely based on today I thought JJ was a bit off the pace and looked very heavy legged in the second half. I was very surprised that Powelly didn't sub him with 15 or so mins to go to be honest, we were crying out for some pace on the flanks.

• Options
    But that's not what it's like on Fifa sjh so it can't work in real life
  • Options
    Every team we play seems to have that spark players, that can beat players and cause trouble

In the last 2 games aluko and dyer have impressed me in their ability to beat our defenders
  • Options
    Both with no end product though.
  • Options
    But they looked lively and caused trouble
  • Options
    If that was wagstaff in jacksons position and played like jackson has against leicester and hull, do you reckon powell would keep faith with him and start him again next match?

He isn't creative enough to play behind the strikers, isn't agile and quick enough to play cm unless played in a midfield three. Hope I'm proved wrong with the guy cause I honestly love him as a captain.
  • Options

If that was wagstaff in jacksons position and played like jackson has against leicester and hull, do you reckon powell would keep faith with him and start him again next match?

He isn't creative enough to play behind the strikers, isn't agile and quick enough to play cm unless played in a midfield three. Hope I'm proved wrong with the guy cause I honestly love him as a captain.

I think powell doesn't want to drop the captain, like many managers don't, but if he never gives Kerkar or cook a go how will we ever know what's also available
  • Options

I'd take that from the opposition all season if they end up doing nothing. In no small part to our own defensive abilities I may add.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think powell doesn't want to drop the captain, like many managers don't, but if he never gives Kerkar or cook a go how will we ever know what's also available
    Agree
    Maybe a piss in the dark,
    But didn't jackson play left back when he joined us on loan from county?
    Couldn't we try and swap wiggins n jackson around ? For the final 20 ?
    May sound stupid
    But ive allways been decent on FM
  • Options
    WSS said:

I'd take that from the opposition all season if they end up doing nothing. In no small part to our own defensive abilities I may add.
    Jackson rarely creates troubl , Yann is screaming out for a winger who can beat a player and deliver , I would of loved dyer
  • Options
    Jackson rarely creates trouble? Does he prevent it though? Do you know what his 'job' in the team is?

Did you watch us last year? Caused a fair amount of trouble for teams then, especially Sheffield based ones.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Jackson rarely creates trouble? Does he prevent it though? Do you know what his 'job' in the team is?

Did you watch us last year? Caused a fair amount of trouble for teams then, especially Sheffield based ones.

Great free kicks can't deny that, and he prevents it because naturally he is a LB , I'm just saying , wiggins usually creates more of the trouble, I still think jackson is a good player and great captain though
  • Options
    how is Jackson a natural LB? He sometimes covers that position but has played midfield all his career. He's pretty much an out and out midfielder.
  • Options
    He was originally a left back I think you will find
  • Options
    I think you will find he was originally a centre midfielder for Spurs..
  • Options
    Stick him Centre mid, problem solved.
  • Options
    He was a CM not LB
  • Options

He was originally a left back I think you will find

as above mate