Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JJ on the wing

124»

Comments

• Options
    This is ridiculous. All these budding football managers and yet no-one has reached a consensus. Is he a LM, a LW, a CM, a LB? The fact that no-one can agree displays how difficult being a football manager is. Personally I'll go with the opinions of Powell, a league winning manager. Also, how about you ask Paul Hayes if Chris Powell is too loyal to his players?
  • Options
    Its obvious hes a wide midfielder, and an overlapping Wiggins is the threat on the wings while JJ covers the space

Today, JJ in the middle didnt work. When we was playing it to the fullbacks, there was not enough support infront of them because we was so narrow. Strikers were not getting wide enough to compensate and every time the fullbacks got the ball they were in trouble
  • Options

why not just "leave"

That really hurts you know.
  • Options
    thought he tired very early again and should have been replaced. Of all our players he seems to be the one struggling. I'm not sure where he was playing or where he was meant to be playing but he did not do it very well in my opinion
  • Options
    Don't think there's a need to change the starting line up at the moment, we're doing fine. Would possibly make more use of substitutes but Powell knows what he's doing. I do think different formations could benefit us, i.e a narrow diamond or 4-2-3-1 but Jackson would always feature for me, set pieces and generally providing stability is bringing enough to the table, as someone pointed out, he's not a winger lol
  • Options
    we've stepped up a division, and with it a gulf in class of opposition. the team jj included are going to find it tough the first few games to get used to the speed of the game. and we are undefeated after 3 games whilst adjusting.
    I for one is not too concerned with JJ and any one else's lack of pace. they will improve and rise to the Level of the league.
  • Options
    I've heard jj has had a swollen ankle since the leicester game so this could be contributing to him looking off the pace. If he is blowing out his arris afte 60 and has a swollen ankle I'm surprised he didn't get taken off.
  • Options
    For me the issue is not should Jackson start, for his performances last season he has earned the right, he also, as captain seems to have a calming effect on the team when on the pitch, even when not involved, however it is clear that he is struggling with 90 minutes and there is nothing wrong with having a plan to sub him after 60 - 70 minutes. In the conditions yesterday it was clear that he was struggling, undestandably and that is why he should have been subbed, in a similar vein to Tuesdays or if he was at the top of the diamond put in cook as a direct replacement.

The extra pace of this division is going to give us more soft tissue injuries than last and we need to have a strategy to minimise this and playing all players in atrocious, heavy conditions for 90 minutes seems at odds with this, especially Jackson.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Who would be captain should JJ get subbed off? I seem to remember Taylor deputising last season but that obviously isn't the case again. Cort or Hollands (maybe Morrison?) would seem the logical choices but I can't remember if we've seen it yet.
  • Options
    Pretty sure Hollands was captain when Jackson went off v Leicester.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hollands took the armband on tuesday but personally I would give it to Morro.

Sorry to sound negative but JJ being skipper means Powell does not like subbing him, so he is treated more favourably than others. We all saw the energy expended on tuesday and Powell referred to it before the game. No subs eg Wilson for JJ with Pritch inside or just Cook playing in place of JJ in the hole would have increased the energy of the side. Hull were on top last 10 as we tired and we had an extra days rest to them and they travelled! SCP is god but can get it wrong - it is all about opinions guys
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Yep think you're right
  • Options

Scoham said:

Yep think you're right
    Cheers guys, thought that was the case but didn't actually see the armband handed over!
  • Options
    On Tuesday night JJ took a hell of a challenge and is clearly still suffering, please give him a chance. We are only three games into the season, it does seem a little early to write (is that the write right?) people off.
  • Options
    We just need to change his song to a brisk walk down the wing for me
  • Options
    It certainly is about opinions ,I think technically Jacko is one of our best players and with his 'wand of a left foot' he adds something which Jordan Cook who is right footed can't replicate .Salim Kerkar might be the answer to compliment Jacko ,or maybe in the longer term Rueben Bover .

At the end of last season I felt Lee Cook gave us the same balance as Jacko ,but I can understand why SCP wouldn't have wanted to go with Cook as another 30 year old who has an even worse injury record than Jacko .

The Football League Paper today is suggesting we are in a two way tussle with Sheffield United for Stephen Quinn ,he would certainly be the answer and allow Jacko to move centrally and be rotated .
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

getting found out in this league, hate to say it but i'm not sure he's good enough

Problem is chris powells loyalty to players
    I'm concerned about the loyalty issue if correct especially after SCP himself quoted Gus Poyet as saying that Brighton suffered cos he was too loyal to his players?! Successful sides rotate players...