Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull Post Match News, Views & Opinions

Comments

• Options
    Maybe no subs because of the conditions. SCP didn't think a sub would be able to adapt quickly enough and might make a mistake ?
    Did Hamer save that shot at the end ? And, if so, how ?
  • Options
    Thought a draw was fair enough although City could have won it at the end. Simpson gave them much more up front than they had before.

Their three centre halves took us a while to work out. Jackson pushed up but we couldnt get behind them. They defended well as a team.

We looked dangerous from set pieces (including throw ins - I was checking) but lacked that little bit extra otherwise. BWP was sharp and Kermo good. I though Bradley was on-side but the lino stuck his flag up straight away.

Can't ignore the weather but it the same for both. I think it threw us out of our stride more than them.

Would have liked to see the same subs as mid-week (Cook and Kerker on for JJ and BWP) but if CP had done that and we'd conceded he would have been blamed for changing it.

Spanners and Glaziers lost, we've come through what were meant to be three hard games (although Brum and Leicester not living up to billing) unbeaten = so far so good.

Wait till we've played 10 games and then we have a better idea of how good this side is.
  • Options
    A lot of unforced errors from our lads today which on another day could have cost us more dearly. But we are a young team learning the league and the conditions were hard to play in for large parts of the game. Coupled with three games in a week at the start of the season against seasoned and well fancied teams we are not doing too badly at all. Lets hope the team are well rested before Forest away next week and we can get Haynes and Fulller up and running soon as well to give us the options we seemed to lack today.

As always we will play better than we did today and lose and vice versa but I am confident we are gong to be just fine. In SCP we trust!
  • Options
    Is it just me or did the referee look like he was going to give a penalty when that bloke clattered into kermorgant second half only to change his mind cause the other bloke came worst off?
  • Options
    Did anyone else see Matt Taylor,limp off down the tunnel after injuring himself in the warm up?
  • Options
    We can't take away from the fact either that on paper they looked tough fixtures tbh

I am happy with 5 points unbeaten and only 2 goals conceded so far
  • Options
    Matt Taylor awaiting a scan but CP says it doesn't look good and could be ligament damage.
  • Options
    The rain soaked pitch slowed the pace of the game which suited Hull. The Ref looked like he had eaten too many pies seemed to patrol the centre circle most of the game. We should have had one penalty if not two. How long is it since we have had a 0-0 draw?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In the end, I'm happy with a point and a clean sheet. Two very good defences came up against each other today and there was always going to be under 2.5 goals.

Felt we had a period of real pressure 30-40 minutes and that was the time when we HAD to score. It just wasn't meant to be but we came close from a couple of set-piece situations. Those'll be key for us this season. Never seen a CAFC team so threatening from a corner.

In the end, we were happier to take a point than Hull were as their fresh legs started to tell. Do think the conditions played into their hands more than ours. A chance could've fell to either side though as the ball stuck in the water-soaked turf but it didn't happen.

Need more options from the bench and need Fuller fit ASAP. It's obvious Powell isn't confident in our attacking depth.
  • Options
    I thought it was a good game. A draw was a fair result. Hamer made some crucial saves, what with the ball being slippery. I'm very happy with our start to the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree 5 points against 3 likely top 10 teams is a great effort so though occasionally frustrating today, it's all good - after all, look at Palace! Also agree Cook for Jackson should have been the go at some point. Bit left-field, but I would have liked to have seen Smith thrown on for the last 5 minutes. I like us keeping it on the floor as much as the next guy, but in those conditions and with the ball sticking all over the place I think a more direct approach might have been worth trying.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Happy to have five points at this stage and be unbeaten but we could have won this game instead we surrendered the initiative. CP started his managerial career reluctant to make substitutions and it seems to be creeping back into his game. If it is because he does not have confidence in his squad then that is even more worrying, its his squad no one elses.
  • Options
    A game that could have gone either way! We got a lucky point, Powell showed his inexperience today, we were at home, Hull were no where near as good as leicester. we started too slow, Hoof ball for 80% of the match and it didnt work! Powell bottled making changes! If they had scored with 10 to go, then he would have changed it. Good managers are proactive and not reactive.
    What was Yanns goal disallowed for. offside or foul?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

A game that could have gone either way! We got a lucky point, Powell showed his inexperience today, we were at home, Hull were no where near as good as leicester. we started too slow, Hoof ball for 80% of the match and it didnt work! Powell bottled making changes! If they had scored with 10 to go, then he would have changed it. Good managers are proactive and not reactive.

Laughable comments "mate".
  • Options
    Bit disappointed with the draw.Think Chris Powell got it wrong today. Don't know why he employed those tactics but we had no width. Thought Jacko and Pritch were largely anonymous. It was a game I feel we could have won and we should have seen Cook and
    Green, IMHO. But to see no subs at all baffled me. Was the goal offside? I didn't think that it was.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Happy to have five points at this stage and be unbeaten but we could have won this game instead we surrendered the initiative. CP started his managerial career reluctant to make substitutions and it seems to be creeping back into his game. If it is because he does not have confidence in his squad then that is even more worrying, its his squad no one elses.

I think SCP expected about three of the starters today to be on the bench this season. He wanted some quality into the first eleven and it hasn't materialised. Fuller being the exception which even now I find a bit of a strange signing.

• Options
    Yes it is his squad Kap he build a squad to get up from league one and compete in the champ and that's what we have nothing more than that... We have a good first 11 and Fuller it then falls away very quickly for me... And if he feels it's a risk bringing on those players on the bench then he shouldn't, as he didn't and we got the point ... A good result against a team set up to get a point also or maybe mick a win ...

Powell so far has done very very well in my eyes... With the board unrest he didn't have the capital we were all hoping and so we are light on the bench as he obviously knows...
  • Options
    Thought we were definately the better side in the first half and unlucky only to be level. Hull adapted better to the conditions but any substitutions would have been a big risk as it would take a player a while to get used to the conditions. Although Jacko definately looked tired I find it strange that people would take our experienced captain off in such a tight game.
    Thought both goalkeepers were excellent and part of the reason it was 0_0
  • Options

Bit disappointed with the draw.Think Chris Powell got it wrong today. Don't know why he employed those tactics but we had no width. Thought Jacko and Pritch were largely anonymous. It was a game I feel we could have won and we should have seen Cook and
    Green, IMHO. But to see no subs at all baffled me. Was the goal offside? I didn't think that it was.

Offside apparently, though apparently was a bad call. I'm sure Clem will clear it up for us tonight in our 'extended' 2 minutes - quite amusing watching him and his cameraman sprint after SCP after he missed him when the teams came out.
  • Options
    redman said:

Thought we were definately the better side in the first half and unlucky only to be level. Hull adapted better to the conditions but any substitutions would have been a big risk as it would take a player a while to get used to the conditions. Although Jacko definately looked tired I find it strange that people would take our experienced captain off in such a tight game.
    Thought both goalkeepers were excellent and part of the reason it was 0_0

Reason ... There it is ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Greenie said:

Laughable comments "mate".
    How sad!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

'Bottled making changes' ....

Deary me....

• Options
    mascot88 said:

Greenie said:

Deary me....

"lucky", "hoofball", "bottled making changes". Some people are a criminal waste of air.
  • Options
    Come on now lads. Play nice.
  • Options
    We should have gone in leading at the interval but then we didn't deal with the changes the weather brought to the pitch and the movement of the ball and Hull did. Both sides defended well. Cort and Solly both looked a little nervous on the ball today. Stephens was good in the first 10, an absolute passenger for the next 70 minutes and when he got involved in the last 10 every pass went awry. Not impressive. Hollands showed his passing and tackling ability in the first half but the wet pitch took a lot away from him. I thought BWP chased really well and Pritch worked hard but tired and should have been subbed. Special mention today has to go to the bloke behind me who slagged off MOTM Hamer all game, especially at the end when he refused to play the ball out quickly in injury time, which given the way Hull were countering was the right decision. I turned round and he was wearing the white keeper top - maybe he thinks he can do better? All in all a draw a fair result. Hull are a tough side
  • Options
    First real game that I've been dissapointed with the manager.
    0-0 going nowhere yet he makes makes absolutely no subs. No wingers on the pitch either so we were unlikely ever to create chances.
    Extremely negative tactics .
  • Options
    Off_it said:

mascot88 said:

Greenie said:

Deary me....

"lucky", "hoofball", "bottled making changes". Some people are a criminal waste of air.
    *IgnorePosterAlert*
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Off_it said:

mascot88 said:

Greenie said:

Deary me....

*IgnorePosterAlert*
    Nice of you to flag yourself up like that. Well played.
  • Options
    IMHO staying up is a number one priority there has been plenty of reasons clearly highlighting why the manager of side didn't want to make changes, and the point we gained proved him right... He's looking at a campaign over a season not one individual game where it's win at all costs ...

We are not that good, we have some talented players and a decent and occasionally more than decent 11 plus Fuller the clubs in this division are all pretty solid from what we have seen...

I'm surprised plenty are questioning Powell after what has so far been an excellent start ...
  • Options
    Chris knows what he's doing. I'm happy with how things are going. No one said this league was going to be easy. 5 points from 3 games, only 2 goals conceded and unbeaten. Not too shabby I should say.