Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull Post Match News, Views & Opinions

Comments

• Options
    Would be interesting to know the thinking behind switching to a 4-4-2 Diamond & why we chose to stick with a tiring midfield when 3 subs were available?

However, 5 points out of 9 is a good start, so not complaining. Hamer's positioning was excellent, Morrison was solid & Kermorgant won a number of good headers, as the stand out performances today.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind betting that no other team will finish between us and Hull city at the end of the season whatever positions they might be.Basically two decent teams cancelled each other out for long periods and the weather reduced the match to farcical status at times.they had the better overall clear cut chances but we can count ourselves hard done by over two penalty claims and an offside ruling against what appeared to be a legitimate goal.Special mention to Hamer who was superb today and definitely saved two certain goals .Thought that Cort had some shaky moments but that both he and Morrison also performed well.Can understand why there was no substitution in a tight match and a point is a good point .Throwing anyone on in very difficult conditions (probably in midfield and probably for Jackson ) was not a gamble worth taking.What is however a gamble worth taking is another fit centre back in on loan for at least three months while Dervite gets up to speed and Taylor' s injury is assessed .Two fit centre backs is two too few for sure.
  • Options
    First time I've seen the boys this season. I was right behind the hull dugout. Steve Bruce was very very annoyed to say the least first half with the amount of headers we were winning.

If I'm honest I thought we looked a little bit more direct than we did last season.

Second half was almost impossible to get the ball on the deck and they handled us a lot better. Thought a point was just about right at the end.

Holland looked very impressive.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, from those of us not there. Much appreciated.

Quit the snipey digging though boys, bit silly.

Pace of the game different to Tuesday ? How much do you think the weather impacted ?
  • Options
    According to Jacko, the ref was about to stop the game before the rain eased off for a bit. Completely killed the game second half.
  • Options

Thanks for the comments, from those of us not there. Much appreciated.

Quit the snipey digging though boys, bit silly.

Pace of the game different to Tuesday ? How much do you think the weather impacted ?

It did impact a lot.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Would be interesting to know the thinking behind switching to a 4-4-2 Diamond & why we chose to stick with a tiring midfield when 3 subs were available?

However, 5 points out of 9 is a good start, so not complaining. Hamer's positioning was excellent, Morrison was solid & Kermorgant won a number of good headers, as the stand out performances today.

Did we really switch formation? Thought it looked like a diamond at times but most of the time seemed to be 4-4-2.
  • Options
    Very difficult conditions today, especially for Cort who was like Bambi on the deck but as usual great in the air. They missed two sitters at the end and we should have scored in the first half when we had their goal under siege. Thought Yann's 'goal' should have stood. We are a bit slow in midfield but Pritch is very quick and crosses the ball well. Weird there were no subs.
  • Options
    Were reports of Yann overweight off the mark? Both he and BWP seem a yard quicker this year. Pumping iron in close season?
  • Options
    Yanns not overweight, a lot of muscle on him and certainly can handle the tempo of the game and all the battering about he receives. Could use Haynes and Fuller ready for action so we have more options soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Did we really switch formation? Thought it looked like a diamond at times but most of the time seemed to be 4-4-2.
    Jackson was at the head of the Diamond, Hollands left side, Pritchard right side, Stephens at the base.
  • Options
    Very different game from Tuesday, think we really caught Leicester by suprise whereas Hull were really well organised and denied us any space whatsoever if we put in a few shifts like that away from home i wouldnt be unhappy. Dont recall us getting in behind their back four at all - although the view of the far end of the pitch from the lower half of the family stand wasnt great so i am happy to be corrected on this.
  • Options
    Good first half.Weather spoilt the second half.In fact I think the weather was the reason Powelly made no subs.Not easy to come on and adapt to those conditions.
    Reckon BFR's got it right.We need to take time to adapt to this league.Going all guns blazing wouldn't be good at this stage.Pritchard playing on the right seems to back up these thoughts.
  • Options

Good first half.Weather spoilt the second half.In fact I think the weather was the reason Powelly made no subs.Not easy to come on and adapt to those conditions.
    Reckon BFR's got it right.We need to take time to adapt to this league.Going all guns blazing wouldn't be good at this stage.Pritchard playing on the right seems to back up these thoughts.

That's a good point about why Powelly didn't make any subs.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ok lets look at it, what can we conclude

1- poor weather = poor football
    2-subs need to be used more effectively, impact subs
    3- JJ is a good captain but not a winger
  • Options

Can't disagree with any of those.
  • Options
    5 points from the first 3 games is a fantastic return with the teams we've played and we've looked like we can compete which was more important to me than the results from these first few tough games.
    However we were poor today, Hull deserved to win, and the fact that Powelly didn't think he had anyone on the bench who could improve us in a frankly mostly poor performance second half is the biggest worry.

Usual suspects had a decent game if nothing special; especially in attack. Hull created the kind of chances that we don't. But that's the way we are set up to play I s'pose and it's so far been succesfull. Wiggins had an absolute shocker after a fantastic two previous games. BWP, Pritchard and Solly stood out for their work rate as much as anything.
    With our squad we're gonna have to get used to results and performances not being consistent. Anyone who thinks we're good enough for playoffs/promotion is in my mind delusioned; Avoiding relegation is the aim this year, being comfortable is a bonus and anything better is a miracle.

Another tough test that will tell us where we are as a team next week.
  • Options

Yeah agree
  • Options

Then why did Hull create some good chances second half playing some decent passing football? Just an excuse not a reason as far as I can see.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    A decent game of football that was ruined by the weather (which was more entertaining than the game at times). Defensively we were good and kept there strikers under wraps for the whole game bar the last 5 mins. As for going forward we just lacked that cutting edge or that magic moment which would have got us a goal. We did score though and I have no idea why it was disallowed as BWP looked miles on side to me as he ran onto the pass through their deepest two defenders, shocking decision. Also Hamer was quality today and the double save at the end was unreal, class keeper and I now have complete faith in him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DRAddick said:

Then why did Hull create some good chances second half playing some decent passing football? Just an excuse not a reason as far as I can see.

They weren't created by flowing football, it came from spark from aluko, and at times the ball was barely moving ,mfor example, when bwp nearly latched onto the back pass
  • Options
    Jackson was at the head of the Diamond, Hollands left side, Pritchard right side, Stephens at the base.

Really? Not in the game I thought I watched. Pritch and Jacko tucked in with the aim of being much more fluid and interchangeable
  • Options
    Hollands went left after about 10 minutes, with Jackson central behind the front two.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

They weren't created by flowing football, it came from spark from aluko, and at times the ball was barely moving ,mfor example, when bwp nearly latched onto the back pass
    Sorry don't agree with you. Hull played some decent passing football second half and created chances with nice balls through our defence. If they'd had a striker who could have taken the chances they would have won 2 or 3 nil.
  • Options

I would.
    1. The football was still good by both sides in the conditions. For those who have ever played could appreciate it.
    2. Every manager gets critised about subs when their team doesnt win. Usually for no good reason
    3. JJ has never really played as a winger but is an excellent left hand side player. Saying he doesnt play well there is saying he has never played well for us. In fact he tucked in much more today than most games last year. Get used to it because I suspect that is how we will play most of the season

• Options
    My views lads , I suppose you saw different , just my opinion
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

5 points from the first 3 games is a fantastic return with the teams we've played

Not sure I agree............B'ham have lost 2 of their games and only point they gained was against us, Leicester aren't in the top 6 atm and Hull lost to Blackburn in midweek.

• Options
    It's been a decent start, not a fantastic one. Birmingham look to be struggling big time.
  • Options
    That's because they've got Lee Clark in charge who's being found out at this level.
  • Options
    Birmingham will come good , it's been three games ...