Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull Post Match News, Views & Opinions

Comments

• Options
    More than happy with five points from nine and the fact that we've conceded less than a goal a game. Won't start worrying til we've lost a couple on the bounce in spectacular fashion.

Plus, I'm sure SCP is working on bringing in a couple of loans if he's concerned about strength in depth. Keep the faith.
  • Options
    I thought that we were favourites to win, but that Hull could get the first goal, and that would have made them favourites.

I think the rain destroyed the game, and that made it difficult for either team to pass the ball.

I'm very encouraged with the game, and the result is more than ok.

Jackson looked knackered, but then I think he always looks knackered, other than him I didn't, personally see any reason to change anything. The waterlogged pitch had effectively destroyed the game and any new players would have taken time to adjust to the fact that the ball kept getting held up, and that the pitch was waterlogged.
  • Options
    Some people don't get it do they1
    We played some great football in the first half and out passed and out played them. When the pitch turned into a river it stopped our passing game and put us down to Hull's standard of long punts.
    If the rain had not come we would have won the game.
    In those conditions we did what we had to do so how can people complain about that performance
  • Options
    Special shout out to Hamer. Has had his critics but thought he was sublime today!

Hull will feel more gutted they didn't win the game than us so in my view, a point gained. Just gutted Wednesday won.
  • Options
    Of course it would have been nice to win, but I feel a point is pretty good. When I saw our first 3 fixtures, I was worried that we might not get a point, so to be unbeaten and have 5 points is great.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I thought we played very well the first half and it was a good game with us more than edging it and deserving to score.

Second half was a different game not helped by the monsoon and could have gone either way. They edged it for periods and we made them look dangerous at times. Wiggins for me had a very uncharacteristic poor game by his excellent standards and was just an off day.

Don't know what Bradley wright phillips had in his cereal but he didn't stop working. Very impressive first half, second half a wash out like the weather.

Rosenior and the Pole up front impressed me for Hull but they didn't seem anything overly special and perhaps they will be more of a reflection of the calibre of the majority of sides in this league than the likes of Leicester and Blackpool.

Unbeaten after 3 games and very happy with that. Looking at the other 2 south london sides results so far gives me confidence that we'll be ok this season. Fuller will give us a new dimension too when match fit so am continuing my optimism for the season ahead.

Yann is an absolute beast and I pity the fool who comes up against him on a football pitch.
  • Options
    Davali said:

We played some great football in the first half and out passed and out played them. When the pitch turned into a river it stopped our passing game and put us down to Hull's standard of long punts.
    In those conditions we did what we had to do so how can people complain about that performance

What's becoming clear is quite a lot people don't get it ...
  • Options
    Hamers lazer surgery on his eyes is helping him perform at the highest level of his career... I think we will see him grow and grow this year... Which is good as we are fonna need it at times... ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Special shout out to Hamer. Has had his critics but thought he was sublime today!

AGREED!

Hull will feel more gutted they didn't win the game than us so in my view, a point gained. Just gutted Wednesday won.

Considering who they played, I'd let this win go...

• Options
    results it's the result and satisfied with the performance. Very pleased with 5 points from the three games.
    Don't get the moaning about SCP. He knows more about football then any of us and I reckon after 70 mins or so he decided a draw would be an ok result.
    BWP has added strength to his game. Kermorgant and he look to have a better understanding this season.
    We have to forget the expectations of last season and recognise that this year will be tough. There will be off days, good days and indifferent days.
    Hamer was excellent today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should echo the above. Wondered how Yann would fare against Faye in the air and he more than came out on top. BEAST.
  • Options
    Game of two halfs innit. Could have gone in half time leading but equally they adapted better to the conditions and had much the better of the second. Hull are no mugs and will be in the top 10 come May imo so happy with a point in the end.

As others said we lacked any width and at times Jacko was playing in behind the front two meaning our midfield tired badly towards the end allowing them to counter with some fresh legs on.

Also thought he'd given a pen and changed his mind, what happened there?
  • Options

We have to forget the expectations of last season and recognise that this year will be tough. There will be off days, good days and indifferent days.

Quite right.
    Whereas last year we might have sneaked a win, today Hull probably would have deserved it more than us.

Five points from the first three games is a decent enough return, and the most important thing is that it looks like we're going to be a lot more competitive than the last time we were in this division.
  • Options
    I can understand the tactical/pragmatic reasons for making no changes but many of those players have played three games in one week. Surely a game going nowhere would be ideal to rest them?
  • Options
    Can someone explain why Jackson is so tired after just 3 games.
  • Options
    I'm very impressed by Hamer and his development, he seems so secure and just an all-round good keeper, still only 24
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Can someone explain why Jackson is so tired after just 3 games.

Crap at fitness?
  • Options

Bit disappointed with the draw.Think Chris Powell got it wrong today. Don't know why he employed those tactics but we had no width. Thought Jacko and Pritch were largely anonymous. It was a game I feel we could have won and we should have seen Cook and
    Green, IMHO. But to see no subs at all baffled me. Was the goal offside? I didn't think that it was.

First real game that I've been dissapointed with the manager.
    0-0 going nowhere yet he makes makes absolutely no subs. No wingers on the pitch either so we were unlikely ever to create chances.
    Extremely negative tactics .

hmmm - I wonder where i've heard those comments before ????

• Options
    2003ish?
  • Options

Is it just me or did the referee look like he was going to give a penalty when that bloke clattered into kermorgant second half only to change his mind cause the other bloke came worst off?

It was a pen, he went up with both hands and knocked if off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that was different to Tuesday night. Leicester came at us, made it a more open and game and we looked better for it. Hull, bit like us, are more cautious and probably won't concede too often. Of course the conditions didn't help the quality of the football.

Another day either team could have won that 1-0. Hull very nearly did at the end with a couple of good chances. Like Tuesday we put in some dangerous corners.

Generally the back 5 were solid as they usually are, though Cort didn't look too comfortable on the ball which led to a few mistakes.

On the lack of subs, we simply didn't have better options on the bench. Could have put 1 of the 3 wingers on but Powell obviously didn't think it was the right game or time to do that. Saying that we did get some decent crosses in, it's not just a case of our midfield needing a bit more width.

We do need a proper CM as an option from the bench (not a winger/full back that can "do a job"). Ideally someone that can seriously challenge Stephens and Hollands.

Up front having Fuller and Haynes on the bench should make a difference.
  • Options
    Hamer was excellent today, only seen him in the last couple of games but his positioning has been excellent. Was a bit dissapointed we didnt get at McShane more once he came on, he is awful would loved to have seen Fuller up against him had he been fit. To me this was a point earned as opposed to two dropped, the conditions made it a lottery. Hugely enjoyed my two visits this trip, looking forward to Forest next weekend & thats it for me for who knows how long.……
  • Options
    Thought the rain realy stopped us think it tired our players out and made our passes poor and short! Should have made changes on 70mins.
  • Options
    2 evenly matched teams with Hull having a bit more going forward. The rain obviously affected the 2nd half. BWP looked onside to me for the disallowed goal. We rode our luck at the end but a good week.

Lack of subs is worrying the depth of the squad is thin. I think we'll see some loans in after the window ends
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

Davali said:

What's becoming clear is quite a lot people don't get it ...
    Or perhaps they are the people who do get it ?
  • Options

Bit disappointed with the draw.Think Chris Powell got it wrong today. Don't know why he employed those tactics but we had no width. Thought Jacko and Pritch were largely anonymous. It was a game I feel we could have won and we should have seen Cook and
    Green, IMHO. But to see no subs at all baffled me. Was the goal offside? I didn't think that it was.

0-0 going nowhere yet he makes makes absolutely no subs. No wingers on the pitch either so we were unlikely ever to create chances.

Where ? cos you certainly haven't heard them from before.
  • Options

Where ? cos you certainly haven't heard them from before.
    Its not a dig at you - just that i posted the same comments after the last 2 games !!

• Options
    Charlton rule No.2:

We don't play well in the rain.
  • Options
    In my opinion BWP came back from an offside position, but their player touched the ball before BWP nicked it off him, the linesman on the far side could not have seen what happened, would like to see a playback.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

Yes it is his squad Kap he build a squad to get up from league one and compete in the champ and that's what we have nothing more than that... We have a good first 11 and Fuller it then falls away very quickly for me... And if he feels it's a risk bringing on those players on the bench then he shouldn't, as he didn't and we got the point ... A good result against a team set up to get a point also or maybe mick a win ...

Powell so far has done very very well in my eyes... With the board unrest he didn't have the capital we were all hoping and so we are light on the bench as he obviously knows...

We cannot go through the season keeping players outside the first 11 back. Kerkar, Wilson ands Cook have been brought in during the summer if they are not good enough to come on during a match then they should n nopt have been signed.

I agree Powell has done exceptionally well, but football is about the next game not the last one.