Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Terry Retires from International Football

Comments

• Options
    Can the FA now begin to rebuild some pride in the National team?

Of course not, Ashley Cole hasn't retired yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Or Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Jermain Defoe, Stephen Gerrard, Frank Lampard .........
  • Options

Dave2l said:

I watched the Chelsea story about them winning the champions league.

When the interviewer asked him if he thought he deserved a winners medal, Terry snapped back 100%. Fair enough but he just didn't get it, there is no morality in that man it's just all about him.

I'd argue here that he probably did deserve his medal simply for all the years service he's given to Chelsea. I know he gets stick for celebrating with the team in his kit, but if you look back at videos or photos of them all celebrating, there's also Ramires, Meireiles and Ivanovic jumping around in their full kit too, and they were also suspended. No one ever mentions that though.
    thats because they were outstanding in the semi against barca where as terry left them out to dry
  • Options
    If Terry was so affronted by the FA charge (which was on 27 July) why did it take him until almost 2 months later before being so upset at the decision that he found his position 'untenable'? This was a calculated timing, designed to put pressure on the FA. I hope that it has no effect on their decision, one way or the other.

I am glad he is no longer available for England as I feel he is a liabilityon the pitch. Enough has been said about his liability off the pitch.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

i think he was made aware that if he is found guilty by the FA then his international career was over so if he quits and is found guilty he can say that him walking out on his country was the reason they found him guilty and if he is found not guilty he has the can refuse to play unless he is apologised to.

either way, he's no Gary Caldwell!

We didn't want his life story @cafcdave123! Ffs
    Blimey calm down lad, no need for that little outburst...and that isn't exactly his life story btw.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

My two penny's worth, anyone, whatever thier circumstances who "retires from international football" is dead to me, you answer your countries call regardless and it retires you end of.

A naive attitude to some I am sure but a cornerstone in my world, regardless of talent who the f@*k do these people think they are, I would walk over broken glass to represent my country. Retire from international football my arse...rant over come on England.

PS to put it in some perspective, he has given up a chance to play against Scotland at Wembley next year, it beggers belief.....knob

I've also taken this stance over footballers that 'retire' from playing for England and then carry on playing for years for their club. (I understand they may only be able to do this because they've 'retired' from playing for England) but I agree, the country should be the one to retire them and they should want to play for England until they can no longer run.

Scholes & Shearer are 2 on that list. I wouldn't say they are dead to me, I just can't work them out as human beings at the top of their game why they would give up that opportunity and honour. I can't say I'm surprised that Terry has retired, as I hold him in the same disregard as Scholes & Shearer and this has just justified my thoughts about him.

Ego's before Pride.

Seeing as Scholes is still playing for one of the top teams in the country whilst putting in some good games I doubt he feels any regret in the decision to retire when he did. Plus he has won endless trophies with United and won nothing with England. I am not too keen on national football and couldn't care less if players refuse to play or retire. Also if you play for a club you love then you will want to play for that club for as long as you can if that means sacking off the national team then I would probably do the same.

The only reason Terry retired is he didn't what the embarrassment of being dropped from the team, all his advisors would have suggested retiring to him and took the choice to do so.
  • Options
    Scholes retired so he could spend more time with his family and concentrate his twilight playing years at Club level. Terry has a different agenda
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

i think he was made aware that if he is found guilty by the FA then his international career was over so if he quits and is found guilty he can say that him walking out on his country was the reason they found him guilty and if he is found not guilty he has the can refuse to play unless he is apologised to.

Blimey calm down lad, no need for that little outburst...and that isn't exactly his life story btw.
    Private joke between me and young David, you ain't in our loop @Draizetrain me old mucker so eff off.

; )
  • Options

Don't think anyone could ever knock Ashley Cole's contribution to England. One of the most consistent performers we've had & always give 100%.

• Options

Don't think anyone could ever knock Ashley Cole's contribution to England. One of the most consistent performers we've had & always give 100%.

I personally can't stand Ashley Cole, but as you say, you can't fault him at international level. Like JT!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard on the radio this morning that Chelsea players have had watches, jewellry and cash stolen from the training ground dressing rooms. Anyone know JT's dads number (or anyone in the family for that matter!)? I could do with a new Rolex!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Terry's gone, Lampard, Gerrard, Parker, Cole, Johnson even Rooney, their careers will soon be over or in the sunset phase. Where are the young players coming through, especially in midfield to replace them ? ... Wilshere, the white ghost ?, Cleverley ? .. I don't think so, Shelvey might make it but lacks that vital yard of pace. Defenders ? .. we're awash with them, but attackers and skilful midfielders ? .. there aren't many about .. too many foreign managers & players hold the critical jobs in our top teams
  • Options
    Rooney is 26 (27 next month)
    Glen Johnson just turned 28

So neither of them are in the sunset phase, or even close to having their careers over. They should be at (or approaching) their peak ideally.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

So neither of them are in the sunset phase, or even close to having their careers over. They should be at (or approaching) their peak ideally.

True .. Johnson OK .. but Rooney, after almost 10 years as a top player is increasingly injury prone and seems to have lost some zest for the game
  • Options
    Poor bloke, how will he cope with the reduced income?
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Private joke between me and young David, you ain't in our loop @Draizetrain me old mucker so eff off.

; )
    Simmer down mate, simmer down! Maybe you should make ya little private jokes on a public forum a little easier to follow for everyone else yeah cos when you have a pop like that you just look like a bit of a thug.

• Options

True .. Johnson OK .. but Rooney, after almost 10 years as a top player is increasingly injury prone and seems to have lost some zest for the game
    Can see Rooney and a few others retiring from international football in a couple of year's time. But Beckham will still make himself available.

It's hard to see where the replacements are going to come from but new players will emerge. We're just at the end of the 'golden generation' - Beckham, Scholes, the Neville brothers, Terry, Lampard, etc. But what did they win? Nothing.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Can see Rooney and a few others retiring from international football in a couple of year's time. But Beckham will still make himself available.

It's hard to see where the replacements are going to come from but new players will emerge. We're just at the end of the 'golden generation' - Beckham, Scholes, the Neville brothers, Terry, Lampard, etc. But what did they win? Nothing.

If only you were joking ! ... being perhaps overly pessimistic, I can see him getting 'the nod' if we don't find some young talent ... on 3rd thoughts though ... nahhhhh
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

; )
    Simmer down mate, simmer down! Maybe you should make ya little private jokes on a public forum a little easier to follow for everyone else yeah cos when you have a pop like that you just look like a bit of a thug.

HaHa!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Found guilty

4 match ban and £220,000 fine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The FA have shown utter contempt to the law of the land.
  • Options

Found guilty

4 match ban and £220,000 fine

ouch !! .. mind you 220K ..... that's probably a few quid he keeps in the sock drawer for emergencies
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    erm, no they haven't. This has nothing to do with the laws of the land. This is simply a case of a FA panel deciding, on the balance of probabilities, that John Terry broke FA rules.

Your stance is like saying that because a player wasn't found guilty of assault the FA can't issue a retrospective red card for violent conduct.
  • Options
    Butters said:

Yep, they should have made it a £440k fine and an 8 match ban.
  • Options
    Butters said:

What utter rubbish! A fine of one week's wages and a four game ban that will be out of the way within 3 weeks. He's got off very lightly. A shame that it's taken this long into his career for the authorities to finally knock away the veneer!
  • Options
    this verdict does not lower my opinion of him anyway. thats impossible to do.
  • Options
    If the passion of hate some of you had for him translated into a more positive form of passion at The Valley we might generate an atmosphere occasionally.

He's my cousin.

• Options
    Complete rubbish, Suarez got a 8 game ban for the same thing.
  • Options
    Bye then.

Next.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

If the passion of hate some of you had for him translated into a more positive form of passion at The Valley we might generate an atmosphere occasionally.

He's my cousin.

And the relevance of your relationship to Terry, for the purposes of this thread is........what? If you support him, for whatever reason, fine. Others are entitled to take a fundamentally different view. Your reference to translating this view to 'a more positive form of passion at the Valley' is utterly bizarre. In the light of the Suarez punishment Terry seems to have been dealt with very fairly, once the actual decision went against him.