Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1-0 to the plebs

Comments

• Options
    He should know better CrayA ddick and he surely does. Just a fact that men of his 'breeding' believe that laws of decency don't apply to them, that their position entitles them to be above the rules, both written and unspoken, of a decent society.
    Yet some still doff their caps to them even when contempt is plainly evident.
  • Options

The police have never lied to me.
    Oh hang on, yes they have.
    On three separate occasions.
    Classic 'believe whatever fits your prejudice' story.

I'm just thankful that no MP has ever told a porky or been less than upfront. Oh hang on...

"Classic believe whatever fits your predudice" - the sweet irony of that.

• Options

I'm just thankful that no MP has ever told a porky or been less than upfront. Oh hang on...

This entire thread has been like this though. Best stay out of threads like these
  • Options
    People that defend these idiots are part of the problem......not the solution......sad really
  • Options

Cafcfan

I suspect that when you describe all the UK press as "useless', you include those parts of the press that inform you of things you don't to hear. In this case the useless press has a witness. She has a name and a job.

Rachel Townsend, a correspondent for ITV's Granada Reports programme, had been travelling on the same train...

..But that clashed with what Townsend said. She told ITV: "Then his aide approached the ticket collector right next to me. He said he is travelling with George and he has a standard ticket but can he remain in first class? The guard said no. The aide said Osborne couldn't possibly sit in standard class. The guard replied saying if he wants to stay it's £160. The aide said he couldn't pay and he couldn't really sit in standard. The guard refused to budge. The guard went on gathering tickets and later told me Osborne had agreed to cough up the £160."

are you calling this Ms Townsend a public liar, in the same way as Mitchell said the police were liars in how they reported the incident in their log-books?

Ah, read carefully Prague. I merely suggested that it would be good if us plebs stopped "believing as gospel the crap they read in the useless UK press". Your witness works for the media but from your description is not working for a newspaper with a political bent of any persuasion but a TV company that by law is supposed to provide balanced programming. Anyway, the short answer to your offensive question is no. I didn't actually call anyone a liar and merely suggested by using the "treating as gospel" phrase that us plebs needed to be more sceptical and analytical about media stories. Having spent some part of my life taking statements from witnesses and victims, I know at first hand how unreliable witness testimony is - and that includes from trained individuals like the police - they don't mean to mislead you but actually memory plays odd tricks on people.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned if someone who was supposed to be spending his time running the country's finances had any idea at all what class of ticket his minion had bought. But surely he would have expected it to be in first class where he might actually have the space and privacy to carry out some work? Or do you think he ought to organise his own travel arrangements on top of everything else? It all sounds to me like an admin cock-up by someone's aide. People are blaming the evil Tory for this but is there any evidence that Osborne had any idea at all this was going on? Perhaps it was just some bag-carrier trying to get out of a hole having realised they'd bought the wrong ticket?
    I'm also rather impressed that Osborne was on a train at all. If it was me, I'd have used the services of the Government's fleet of limos and chauffeurs, citing security reasons.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Nice of you to agree with my point for a change. (albeit unknowingly)

Policeman makes false allegation against a mate at a Charlton away match - police are liars

Policeman makes a claim about some thug in custody - coppers right

Policeman makes a claim against a politician - well it depends what hue the politician is.
  • Options
    opps Labour MP nicked for driving with no Insurance and MOT --------wonder if his car got crushed or there will be calls on here for him to resign etc--------------------------silence
  • Options
    If you hate Tories, which I do with an absolute passion, don't assume that I support Labour.
  • Options
    CHG said:

If you hate Tories, which I do with an absolute passion, don't assume that I support Labour.

There's a few on here make that ignorant assumption though CHG

• Options
    CHG said:

You must support some politcal party? if not and are one of these people who waste there vote by not voting because "the government are all liars" Don't moan about things!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about if he spoils his paper

Is he allowed to moan then?
  • Options
    o dear o dear so it now looks like the MP has been stiched up. Tonight on Channel 4 ----

The"independent member of the public" who emailed what he saw and herd is a serving Obill who wasnt even there.

The Obill statements say large numbers of members of the public herd what was said ? well CCTV shows no members of the public outside.

The Police federation who visited the MP went to the media and lied about what was said at that meeting. It was recorded and they didnt know.When confronted with the fact the meeting had been recorded the Police Fed guy almost kaked himself

The CCTV show the MP and the copper--- there appears to be no elongated conversation.

So the Obill have manufactured the resignation of Cabinet Member by false information and lies.

The Police Federation ---lied re Hillsborough and lied to get a Cabinet member sacked another scum bag Union but one that is beyond even the depths that Bob Crow sinks. Regardless of Tory/Labour they are elected members in a democracy and for the Obill to think they can manufacture evidence to get a Cabinet member sacked is truly shocking.

• Options
    Shock horror!! errr no , no surprise there.
  • Options

Shock horror!! errr no , no surprise there.

Really ? This story doesn't surprise you ?
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Mitchell's actions were utterly indefensible and everyone but Cameron knew it, you cannot have a senior member of the government swearing at police and insulting them by calling them "plebs" - its disgraceful behaviour.

As others have said government ministers must conduct themselves to the highest possible standards and Mitchell clearly failed to meet these standards and more damning still clearly thought he had the right to talk to police in such a demeaning manner.

Cameron's government already has a reputation for being made up of privileged, out of touch MP's - something the PM is well aware of - so for a senior member if the government to go round telling the police they should "know their place" is unforgivable from a political perspective let alone a moral one.

Terrible management on this from Cameron - who I really don't mind as a PM - he should have sacked Mitchell on day one and made it clear this behaviour was never going to be condoned, by prevaricating he ends up looking weak and indecisive.

Oh dear. Complete re-think of your views needed, perhaps?
  • Options
    Thanks Goonerhater & redcarter.

I've just watched that channel 4 link/programme.

Mitchell appears to have been telling the truth all along.

I seriously hope, the police officers responsible are held to account. Presumably, there will be quite a few.

Absolute disgrace, it really is.

It's getting to the point that you really can't believe the police at all.
  • Options

Really ? This story doesn't surprise you ?

Not at all se9. Too many lies , too much deceit and cover-ups out there for me I'm afraid. Isn't this a good example for people who believed it to be true in the first place.? They aren't all bad though and I'm sure someone will try and get to the bottom of it and sort it out.
  • Options
    That will be 1-1 then?
  • Options

That will be 1-1 then?

Actually I think it will be 1-2 & quite a few red cards. I have to say that I thought Mitchell probably said it.
    Not sure who are the biggest liars & cheats the police or the politicians.

Power corrupts !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    superb, love to see the left have to eat their words, nothing sweeter.

union inspired lies, shock horror.
  • Options
    What I don't understand is why the Govt didn't examine and release the CCTV at the time if it exonerates Mitchell.
  • Options
    Best police force in the world , yeah right
  • Options
    aliwibble it is probably because the tapes belonged to the police, not downing st. do you think they have faked the tapes then? there dont look to be too many shocked members of the public, or an off duty policeman claiming to be one who has now been found out to have been elsewhere at the time.

sounds like the police federation will have some serious apologising to do.
  • Options
    Mr Mitchell wants a full enquiry so that people can have confidence that "this sort of thing won't happen again".

As an Irishman & a football fan, I hope Mr Mitchell won't be holding his breath!
  • Options
    Given that the trade unions have been among the victims of the police over the years, for example in the miners' strike, I don't think you'll find many on the left identifying with or rushing to defend the police federation.
  • Options

aliwibble it is probably because the tapes belonged to the police, not downing st. do you think they have faked the tapes then? there dont look to be too many shocked members of the public, or an off duty policeman claiming to be one who has now been found out to have been elsewhere at the time.

sounds like the police federation will have some serious apologising to do.

Not necessarily, but I know if I'd been accused of something I hadn't done in probably the most CCTV'd place in the world, I'd be screaming to see the tapes. And I'd be immensely pissed off if my boss, nominally the most powerful man in the country, so in theory shouldn't have ANY trouble getting hold of them, pushed me under the bus without looking at them, in order to get the press off his back.

AS far as the lefties eating humble pie, most of the ones I know were treating it like Man U v Chelsea - a plague on both their houses.
  • Options
    It finished 2-2 please change title
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Mr Mitchell wants a full enquiry so that people can have confidence that "this sort of thing won't happen again".

As an Irishman & a football fan, I hope Mr Mitchell won't be holding his breath!

This.

As for asking for the CCTV footage, perhaps someone to building a bigger case or they just wanted Mitchell gone.
  • Options
    phew just read through this thread to make sure I hadn't commented originally. All through this episode, I thought it was a complete over reaction, now it turns out to be a load of bollocks. There are few people on here who were only too pleased to condem him because of his political party.