Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1-0 to the plebs

Comments

• Options

What an interesting read....if you think that we have a few on this thread with the 'it confirms my prejudices so it must be true' attitude, some newspapers now have to backtrack on months of righteous indignation and condemnation from their readership. Or they might just conveniently forget the whole episode, of course.

...and, as he is an ex member of HM Forces, instead of being villified as a toff, had he been murdered he would have been lauded as a 'hero' no doubt.
    Deafening silence from some people though, in true journalistic style.
  • Options
    It just gets worse.
    Copper charged for lying.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission says five police officers - all members of the elite Diplomatic Protection Group - will now face gross misconduct proceedings linked to the subsequent row, meaning they could lose their jobs.

The Crown Prosecution Service has also charged one officer, PC Keith Wallis, over the allegation that he falsely claiming to have witnessed the incident in an email to his MP.

But the ex-minister, who is suing the Sun newspaper - which first reported the story - for libel, challenged the PC to repeat his claims under oath in court "to allow a decision to be made between my account and his".

Mr Mitchell said his version of events had been "completely clear" from the start while someone, he suggested, had "invented the three lying phrases - about plebs and people knowing their place - which appeared in the police log and were used to destroy my political career".

"These phrases are completely untrue. They were made up and disseminated by a police officer."

And he added: "I wish to make clear that PC Toby Rowland, who was responsible for writing those toxic phrases into his notebook, was not telling the truth."
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ThE eDITeR ‏@HIGNFY
    PC Toby Rowland is to sue Andrew Mitchell, #plebgate row minister

.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25216627

Toby Rowland, the police officer at the centre of the Plebgate row, is to sue the Tory MP and former cabinet minister Andrew Mitchell for libel .

PC Rowland was on duty at Downing Street when Mr Mitchell was prevented from bicycling through the main gate.

Mr Mitchell has admitted swearing, but recently accused any officer who maintained he had used the word "pleb" of "not telling the truth".

The officer stands by his account of the incident.

Former chief whip Mr Mitchell is suing the Sun newspaper, which first reported the incident, for libel and has challenged the PC to repeat his claims under oath in court "to allow a decision to be made between my account and his".

PC Rowland issued a letter of claim against Mr Mitchell, on Tuesday, in the wake of their differing accounts of what happened in Downing Street in September 2012.

Separately, in March Mr Mitchell launched a legal action against the Sun newspaper, which first published the Plebgate allegations.

It is understood that the officer was already considering legal action before Mr Mitchell said last week that he wanted Mr Rowland to give his account of the argument under oath.

A Police Federation spokesman said: "We can confirm that PC Toby Rowland yesterday issued a letter of claim for libel against Andrew Mitchell MP. This relates to comments he made following the media-termed Plebgate incident in Downing Street in 2012.

"It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time while there are ongoing legal issues."

The Crown Prosecution Service said in November there was insufficient evidence to show that PC Rowland had lied.
  • Options
    The pity is that a deliberate set of lies from a group of lazy coppers who seem to act merely as gatekeepers and have probably not felt a collar in anger for years, their arrogant and stupid actions have brought the Police service as a whole into disrepute. All of the illegal conspirators, because that's what they are guilty of, should be sacked and stripped of their pension rights.
    The Police forces as a whole do a difficult and mostly unpopular and often unrewarded and unrecognised job and have a tough enough time without being tainted by and compared to this group of useless Plodding Nodding Donkeys.
  • Options

The pity is that a deliberate set of lies from a group of lazy coppers who seem to act merely as gatekeepers and have probably not felt a collar in anger for years, their arrogant and stupid actions have brought the Police service as a whole into disrepute. All of the illegal conspirators, because that's what they are guilty of, should be sacked and stripped of their pension rights.
    The Police forces as a whole do a difficult and mostly unpopular and often unrewarded and unrecognised job and have a tough enough time without being tainted by and compared to this group of useless Plodding Nodding Donkeys.

Sorry but how do you know it was the policemen who lied? Or that they are lazy? Or that they have not been on 'active' duty in years.
    Both sides are accusing the other side of lying, so unless you were there (and if you were you really need to tell the CPS) I'm not sure how you can claim as fact what happened. The 'fact' that it is still on going confirms that the 'fact's are still unclear.

What is fact is that the police have given their side and said what Mitchell said. Mitchell himself has never publically said what he did say, only that it's not as reported.
  • Options
    Actually DRF it would be more accurate if you had written that the police have said what they claim MItchell said. As PC Rowland is the claimant it will be for him to satisfy a court on the balance of probabilities that he has been libelled by Mitchell. In other words that it is more likely than not that his account is true and that Mitchell's accusation that there were 'three lying phrases' (etc) is a libel on him.

Now it is by no means unknown for someone to issue a writ in order to prevent any further public discussion of the subject matter but then not to proceed further in the hope that people lose interest. I hope that doesn't happen here as there are significant issues at stake here. After all IF Mitchell was brought down by untruthful police officers, what hope does anyone else have?
  • Options
    interesting post legaladdick. It would be extremely damaging to the police if the officers are not telling the truth. If a court case did happen I suppose either the police or Mr Mitchell would have to tell the truth or commit perjury.
    If Mr Mitchell has been untruthful, he would be seen as millionaire Tory who views anyone who does not share his intellect and status as a pleb. Damaging to the government and Tory party.
    I still find it difficult to understand why the prime minister sacked Mr Mitchell if he did not say the words attributed to him.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    DRF said:

Sorry but how do you know it was the policemen who lied? Or that they are lazy? Or that they have not been on 'active' duty in years.
    Both sides are accusing the other side of lying, so unless you were there (and if you were you really need to tell the CPS) I'm not sure how you can claim as fact what happened. The 'fact' that it is still on going confirms that the 'fact's are still unclear.

What is fact is that the police have given their side and said what Mitchell said. Mitchell himself has never publically said what he did say, only that it's not as reported.
    I can tell from your response that you have neither read about the case nor watched the TV documentary which provided proof that the policeman/men manning the (pleb) gate were exaggerating about aspects of the case. Read their story, compare to the FACTS on CS camera tapes and see for yourself. They LIED.
    The Police Union officials who had a meeting with Mitchell lied afterwards to TV journalists about the conversation. Mitchell taped the conversation and the Police Union version did not tally at all with what was on the tape. More Lies. A serving Police officer reported that he had witnessed the incident in person. In fact he was at home 20 or so miles away ..., etc etc ..

Before you start on your high horse DRF, research into the topic you're pontificating about, there's a good chap
  • Options
    What I glean from this is two things:

1) Politicians lie
    2) Coppers lie

How is this 'news'?
  • Options
    True Leroy but how often is it claimed that coppers have lied about politicians - especially Tory politicians? It's news in the same way that 'man bites dog' is news:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The copper will have the full backing of the Police union Federation
    The politician will have the full backing of the Conservative Party
    The opposition will make hay because "let's score points" is what it's all about of course
    The legal profession will have their snouts in the trough
    The media will have hours upon hours of copy/airtime
    The chattering classes will have something else to be outraged about

The public will just get on with surviving...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    One of the coppers who claimed to have witnessed the event has just pleaded guilty to misconduct in Public Office and will resign from the force today.
  • Options

The copper will have the full backing of the Police union Federation
    The politician will have the full backing of the Conservative Party
    The opposition will make hay because "let's score points" is what it's all about of course
    The legal profession will have their snouts in the trough
    The media will have hours upon hours of copy/airtime
    The chattering classes will have something else to be outraged about

The public will just get on with surviving...

...and paying for the whole junket as always

• Options
    Good riddance. Then again he's a nasty Tory so deserves everything he gets!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

How do you know the copper's a Tory?
  • Options
    12 months seems a bit extreme when compared to other sentences.
  • Options

12 months seems a bit extreme when compared to other sentences.

I guess the reason is that there is both a breach of trust and an element of perjury.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Huskaris said:

I meant Andrew Mitchell, a lot of people seem to not care about what is a serious offence because he did it to a Tory.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Riviera said:

Huskaris said:

I meant Andrew Mitchell, a lot of people seem to not care about what is a serious offence because he did it to a Tory.
    So being a Tory makes it alright that a serving police officer lied and perjured himself to try and stitch him up?
    What next, stab a Tory? Racially abuse a Tory? Make homophobic comments about a Tory? Batter a Tory in a violent attack?
    All fine, people won't care because he or she is a Tory.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

Huskaris said:

Riviera said:

Huskaris said:

So being a Tory makes it alright that a serving police officer lied and perjured himself to try and stitch him up?
    What next, stab a Tory? Racially abuse a Tory? Make homophobic comments about a Tory? Batter a Tory in a violent attack?
    All fine, people won't care because he or she is a Tory.

Well that's the way people seem to view it. People calling for him to go as soon as the incident happened without any kind of trial. People constantly jumping on an anti Tory bandwagon.
  • Options
    On a point of pedantry, (ex) PC Wallis didn't perjure himself as he didn't give evidence and lie on oath. He was convicted of misconduct in public office. The sentence reflects the position he held as a police officer and how his conduct undermined trust in the police generally. 'Plebgate' is far from finished. There is the civil actionfor libel PC Rowland has taken out against Mitchell (if I was a betting man I'd back Mitchell) and a number of other police officers who are subject to disciplinary (but not criminal) proceedings.
  • Options
    In one of a series of written statements produced by Mr Mitchell's legal team, Geldof described the MP as an "advocate for the less fortunate" and a "good man".

"I came from a poor Irish, not particularly well educated background and he does not," he said.

"I am in fact 'a pleb' and he is not. Never once in all our time did he patronise me, talk down to me, behave in a superior manner to me, deride, insult or dismiss me or my opinions."

Geldof said he had never heard the Conservative MP "use the ridiculous and archaic expression 'pleb'".

The court also heard written evidence from journalists, Mr Mitchell's political allies and the MP's decorator.

Richard Robinson recalled working on Mr Mitchell's Nottinghamshire property in 1998, writing: "When the job was coming to an end he put on a barbecue for all that had worked on the site.

"That's only happened to me twice in 49 years of working - he did not have to do that."

Newspaper columnist Matthew d'Ancona said class had been an issue for the coalition government and for one of its ministers to use the term "pleb" would have been damaging.

"I simply could not imagine him using such a disgusting and discourteous word," he added.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    He would have said "plebeian". But I wouldn't expect you bunch of terrible oiks to understand that.
  • Options

He would have said "plebeian". But I wouldn't expect you bunch of terrible oiks to understand that.

Hexcuse me, sir, but we aren't oiks, we are hoi polloi.

**tugs forelock and leaves backwards, bowing**
  • Options
    speak for yourself, IH, I'm a paid up member of the riff raff proletariat.
  • Options
    That's it! Mitchell said "p(o)liceman" and the copper thought he said "plebeian". Why didn't his lawyer think of that?
  • Options

That's it! Mitchell said "p(o)liceman" and the copper thought he said "plebeian". Why didn't his lawyer think of that?

Plod - Pleb not a million miles away from sounding the same especially with background traffic.
  • Options
    Andrew Mitchell has lost the libel case. Judge said he was satisfied that he'd used the word pleb. Apparently, the Judge said Mitchell's account was inconsistent with the CCTV footage, and he was too angry to remember exactly what he'd said, but PCRowland was too unimaginitive to make it up. Costs are going to be huge.
  • Options
    2-0 to the plebs :-)