Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton make a move for Freedman

Comments

• Options
    johnny73 said:

What a bonkers move that he will no doubt regret, I'm sure.

I disagree. He could argue he has left Palace in a better position than when he started and they have blooded youngsters. They are also in my opinion in a false position in the league and would have / will drop down the table as the season progresses whether Freedman was manager or not. Basically because of a good run since they beat us his time at Palace will be considered a success. If he had stayed a poor run would have brought the 'sack him' nigels back out.

He has gone to Bolton and will get the opportunity to get them promoted. If he succeeds he will be a Premiership manager and if he fails he will be able to argue their debt / finances made his job impossible. Either way he's guaranteed a 3rd managerial job in English football (hope that makes sense).

But then do Bolton have anyone of the quality of Zaha, the best young player in the Championship? While he is there, they have the ability to beat anyone on their day. There's no guarantee Bolton will storm up the table, or even finish higher than Palace.

I wonder if the discontent from some Palace fans in August was a factor in his decision?
  • Options
    After a couple of average years he has 10 good games and decides to move on. Strange game football things can change very quickly
  • Options

Greenie said:

Richard J said:

Cawley just tweeted

Freedman due to hold further talks with #bwfc today. Now sounding question of when - not if - he leaves.

This has cheered me up no end, expect Zaha to leave in Jan as well!
    Chris Powell is a Palace old boy. He wouldn't, would he?

And Curbs is still looking for something.

Just a thought before you cheer too loudly!
    Na, will be Arry, I think he's deciding not to come to us now the cat's out the bag.
  • Options
    Didn't see that one coming

Can see the logic though big club 15k or so loyal support

Curbs to palace, honestly I've heard it all...
  • Options
    mparsons1 said:

mascot88 said:

Curbs go to Palace he's dead to me....

afraid i have to agree
    Your both unbelievable, have you forgotten what Curbs has done for us?

I would not like it if Curbs managed Palace but to say he is dead to you is taking it to the extreme.
  • Options
    Academic because Curbs would probably want £1m a year and Palace appear to be running a particularly frugal operation (for which I don't criticise them).
  • Options
    No mention of Mick McCarthy.
  • Options
    Curbs doesn't need the money he would work for 250k if the right offer and potential was there

I just don't think he would go to palace

Then again I never expected Lennie to go there either
  • Options
    Dowie to go there in a pink tutu with a green wig and nipple tassels.

That way the ultras aren't the silliest looking thing at Selhurst!
  • Options
    It's ok , the palace fans "didn't like him anyway :D"' he's judas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would he had even been considered a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    Please can DF take the Palace Ultras with him.
  • Options
    I've read the headlines but not the stories, because to be honest, WHO CARES ?
  • Options

johnny73 said:

What a bonkers move that he will no doubt regret, I'm sure.

I disagree. He could argue he has left Palace in a better position than when he started and they have blooded youngsters. They are also in my opinion in a false position in the league and would have / will drop down the table as the season progresses whether Freedman was manager or not. Basically because of a good run since they beat us his time at Palace will be considered a success. If he had stayed a poor run would have brought the 'sack him' nigels back out.

He has gone to Bolton and will get the opportunity to get them promoted. If he succeeds he will be a Premiership manager and if he fails he will be able to argue their debt / finances made his job impossible. Either way he's guaranteed a 3rd managerial job in English football (hope that makes sense).

But then do Bolton have anyone of the quality of Zaha, the best young player in the Championship? While he is there, they have the ability to beat anyone on their day. There's no guarantee Bolton will storm up the table, or even finish higher than Palace.

I wonder if the discontent from some Palace fans in August was a factor in his decision?
    I think the discontent did have an impact. I don't think it's relevant what kind of quality either squad contains. He has cashed in when his value is at its highest. Personally I don't think even he knows if he is a decent manager.

• Options
    As I said earlier, this is about cash, pure and simple.

If the figure of 500K per season on a four year deal is true (I thought it would be more) then he'll clear 1 million quid over the contract, enough to get him set fair for the immediate future even if he doesn't work again after it.

As others have said, Freedman probably realises that he is in a favorable slot right now and that he might as well strike whilst the iron is hot, Palace could easily slump and him end up getting the tin-tack himself not too far down the track.

Grab it while its hot, you might say or, alternatively, do it to them before they do it to you!
  • Options
    I would go anywhere for that sort of money ;)
  • Options
    Airman you really think Curbs would go there?! Just cannot see that myself. His reputation means too much to him and there is no potential in Palace. He's too fussy. Don't see anything for him in it.
  • Options
    Anyone else read this as "Bolton make move for Freedom".
    It is grim oop north.
  • Options
    So what exactly is going on here?

Palace announce he's gone to Bolton. Bolton say he hasn't and their caretaker will be in charge this weekend.

So is Freedman now unemployed?
  • Options
    And Cawley saying Ipswich are now interested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SkyBet Sky Sources reveal Ipswich have contacted Dougie Freedman about the vacant manager's job. He is 10/1 to join
  • Options
    How about this scenario:
    For the first few games Freedman called the shots, they were crap. The owners told Lennie to get more involved and make more decisions, results improved. Freedman gets pissed off, Bolton come on the scene the owners make a token gesture to refuse permission to talk to Freedman, quick backtrack knowing the real brains belong to Lennie and he says he'll take over when Freedman goes.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I get the impression many in this thread are putting too much emphasis on Lennie Lawrence in all of this.

He's an assistant manager, nothing more or less. Bolton came in for Freedman, he's going to go. Simple as that to me.
  • Options
    he might have gone but he hasn't arrived - yet
  • Options
    Freedman to Ipswich would seem more likely.
  • Options
    Who cares
  • Options
    he might have gone but he hasn't arrived - yet
    That's Virgin Trains for you, he's probably stuck somewhere outside Stafford
  • Options
    Announced as Bolton mgr
  • Options
    Palace would do best to appoint Lennie as manager (although I hope they're not that sensible!). It'll be interesting to see how Freedman does on his own at Bolton if Lawrence doesn't join him.
  • Options
    Clubs recently relegated from the prem are attractive to managers as the parachute payments will allow them leeway to strenghen the side over a few years, although Bolton Wanderers are still in a financial mess