Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New footballers union.

Comments

• Options

Because it won't take long before someone fails to be able to debate without dragging the gutter to this thread

That's rather prejudiced.

• Options

Because it won't take long before someone fails to be able to debate without dragging the gutter to this thread

Funny, I don't think this thread will go that way. Personally, I think this is terrible news for football and as you say, diversive. I sincerely hope Powell doesn't support it and if he did and I were a white player, I'd have serious concerns about playing for him. Fortunately, I don't think Chris is as stupid or would promote something for a particular race. I can imagine there will be plenty of mics put in his face about it and I imagine there will be pressure from certain black people in football to support it.
  • Options

But only if black players can join it

It's called the PFA ;-)

Current Chair Clarke carlisle, predecessor Chris Powell.

Wait till Roberts is the next one..
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    The whole point of a union is to have everybody in the same organisation. Its root is the latin word unus meaning "one". Starting up a separate body would be divisive and would help no-one black or white.

That said, I can understand some of the frustrations that black players have and why they might want an organisation that is more pro-active in tackling racism. I really don't think that this would be the right way forward though. I suspect that it may just be a ruse to try and force the PFA into being a bit more spirited on this issue. At least I hope so.
  • Options
    I dont understand what racism is can someone please explain it to me?
  • Options
    Loco said:

Welcome Rip Van Winkle.
    Regarding the union one can only hope that Rio is the brain behind it.
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Clearly the best way to fight racism is to create a new union only for black players thus creating a divide between black and white footballers.

On a side note I wonder what would have happened if a white player came out and said I'm boycotting the Kick it out campaign and refused to wear the shirt. Jason Roberts and co think racism is all about black people. It's not possible for any other race to be victims of racism.

How many white players have been victims of racism in this country ?
    Didn't El Hadji Ousseynou Albert Diouf racially abuse a white ball boy ?

• Options
    I tell you this much, no matter what a black player may have heard at a football ground, it doesn't even come close to the taunts Mr Wenger has had to endear.
  • Options
    or Simon Jordan, he had some vile abuse over the years.

I think some of the rest of you gave him some stick as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If its only for black players then that is racial discrimination towards white players, if it was the other way around there would be uproars and players refusing to play etc whole things going OTT and a complete joke.
  • Options
    It can not be for only black Players the same rules will apply as apply for the BNP

It is illegal for any body of people to only allow membership by the colour of skin

This is why the decision is wrong to start a black players union as it will become more about race than the issue of racism

• Options
    Don't they have the same for the old bill tho?
  • Options
    Not sure the BNP used to have it in their mandate and had to remove it to continue

I fail to see how a union can be any different

If a club was to only allow membership to whites or blacks to gain entry it would be closed down due to EU rulings

I remember the BNP fella on news night getting his knickers all twisted over the ruling

Will be interesting to watch what happe s next

• Options
    Absolutely ridiculous, and how will they define black players anyway. Will someone like Ferdinand (white mother) be allowed. Will Ryan Giggs be allowed in (his father is black) or does he look too white? How about Asian players. Or ginger players (who have complained about abuse too).

Football has a funny sense of morals anyway.
    A single shout to another player of “F**king black c*nt” is disgraceful, racist, must be severly punished etc, whereas “F**king c*nt” is normal on the pitch banter.
  • Options
    Seems very silly to me personally to start up a Black players union, always the victims comes to my mind
  • Options
    I think it is an over reaction, but I do, genuinely, sympathise with those that can't accept that calling Anton Ferdinand a "black c**t" is worthy of just a four match ban.

I, honestly, couldn't care less about John Terry and Chelsea, but as someone that would always be willing to cut off his nose to spite his face I can see that this is the most obvious way to embarrass the FA over their, perceived, cowardess with dealing with John Terry. If it does little more than highlight the lack of back bone in the FA to deal with racism than it will, probably, have served it's purpose.

I understand those that suggest that this move is decisive, but what can we really expect when the FA decide to punish a multi-millionaire with a fine of one week's wages, and a four game ban?

I'm not, incedentally, judging the FA's decision. I'm merely trying to see it from the point of view of a black player that, quite possibly, feels as though the FA has wasted an opportunity to make a public stand against racism in football.

I could be wrong, but I actually understand why they have set up a black players union. I wish it'd not been necessary, but in the end all people will stand together if they believe that their interests are being ignored.
  • Options
    I wonder if Suarez would be allowed to join?

Or John Terry for that matter?
  • Options
    I don't understand why anyone thinks this would be a good idea.

I read an article on the events at the weekend on the BBC, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20047307

It seems that players such as Ferdinand want to start up this new union, however i wonder what they have actually done to help the current campaigns?

From the article it states that 7 people are employed on a budget of 450k a year. Now Rio and alot of these Premier League 'stars' often earn close to 100k a week, why do they feel there is a need to make an example of 'kick it out' as not being strong enough in recent cases (where they can't make a case against racial abuse anyway) about abuse on the pitch. RIo probably earn 100k+ a week, i wonder how much he decides to donate to the cause he has such strong opinions about.

@Killerandflash I agree 100% with what you have said. It seems in our culture it is ok to show discrimination and abuse to certain people, but not to others. Surely all kinds of discrimination and abuse should not be allowed in the game full stop.
  • Options
    What next Players Of Black Origin Awards? Meh!

It can not be for only black Players the same rules will apply as apply for the BNP

It is illegal for any body of people to only allow membership by the colour of skin

This is why the decision is wrong to start a black players union as it will become more about race than the issue of racism

The Black Police Officers Association already exists, might look at the criteria for joining them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there is already a black players awards

Would be interesting to find out the criteria for joining the black police officers associtiation
  • Options
    ....but even if these organisations do except whites, the name is still decisive.
  • Options
    Totally agree it does nothing for what they are trying to achieve
  • Options
    Ridiculous idea, rightly fight for equality and a transparent, level playing field , with a consistent disciplinary panel, but why then start a group that immediately sets out an assumed set of different rights for a particular group.

Nothing surprises me with Ferdinand though (if true, he has apparently tweeted that its a non story), an attention seeking fud with the literacy and IQ of a chair.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Clearly the best way to fight racism is to create a new union only for black players thus creating a divide between black and white footballers.

On a side note I wonder what would have happened if a white player came out and said I'm boycotting the Kick it out campaign and refused to wear the shirt. Jason Roberts and co think racism is all about black people. It's not possible for any other race to be victims of racism.

How many white players have been victims of racism in this country ?
    Colour is irrelevant, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French, German, Dutch players all abused due to their race in the English leagues, likewise, English players abused in the SPL/Welsh Leagues etc.

• Options

Loco said:

Welcome Rip Van Winkle.
    Well I'm confused as to what it actually is, I was only asking.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Rio has advised his twittery followers "Don't believe all u read". Rio + Daily Mail= highly ignorable tripe.
  • Options
    Whether Ferdinand is backing it or not, the concept is real enough.
  • Options
    Rio is worth £40million. Kick It Out have an annual budget of about an 80th of that with the majority provided by the FA and the league governing bodies. Wonder how long it might take Rio to spot a proposal that makes more sense and might yield more results and better PR than not wearing a t shirt or forming a frankly appalling breakaway group.
  • Options
    Loco said:

Loco said:

Welcome Rip Van Winkle.
    Well I'm confused as to what it actually is, I was only asking.
    Go and ask your friends on Charlton Loyal.