Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New footballers union.

Comments

• Options
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism?s=t

Colour of skin not mentioned, so for any group to be named as such (ie, black police federation) is surely racist in itself?
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Loco said:

Loco said:

I dont understand what racism is can someone please explain it to me?

Welcome Rip Van Winkle.
    Regarding the union one can only hope that Rio is the brain behind it.
    Well I'm confused as to what it actually is, I was only asking.
    Go and ask your friends on Charlton Loyal.

No need, we're all on here! ; )
  • Options
    Yes yes poor little middle class white man. He never had it so bad.

If black footballers believe that their trade union is not representing them (which is what a trade union is supposed to do - in any industry) then it is absolutely their right to go and start a new one. Football is one of the few industries that are only represented by one trade union. Most people have a choice, are they not allowed one because it offends the customers?
  • Options
    DRF said:

If black footballers believe that their trade union is not representing them (which is what a trade union is supposed to do - in any industry) then it is absolutely their right to go and start a new one. Football is one of the few industries that are only represented by one trade union. Most people have a choice, are they not allowed one because it offends the customers?

Don't be DaRFt! If I'm white and middle class, where would you put a black man on 100k + a week? It's not got fuck all to do with class!

If players want to start another union, fair play to them, buts I'm guessing its the bit about it being for black players only that people are objecting to.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    drf in different opinion to everyone else shocker
  • Options
    DRF said:

But a union based on race is racist, end of, akin to saying we want equality but want to be singled out as different at the same time.
  • Options

I think there is already a black players awards

Would be interesting to find out the criteria for joining the black police officers associtiation

Being a police officer is sufficient.

I have a (white) friend who was a member prior to his retirement.
  • Options
    Just to clarify the legality of a union based on race we could always check with the society of black lawyers.
  • Options
    I thought so Len

So on that principle white footballers can join the black footballers union

Then the only issue that remains is the name of the union and if people believe it should be called the black footballers union

• Options
    Redskin said:

Loco said:

Loco said:

Welcome Rip Van Winkle.

Being as I've asked twice and not got an answer, do I take it that nobody actually knows what racism is or is it that no one is prepared to say?

Perhaps Redskin is too timid to tell us his view on what it is, pusillanimous? No, surely not. It was not the unreconstructed I wanted the reply from, rather the reforming social engineers such as yourself. It seems such a simple thing to request, being as you are all talking about it surely you all know what it is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    your bait just aint juicy enough loco.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DRF said:

But a union based on race is racist, end of, akin to saying we want equality but want to be singled out as different at the same time.
    Sometimes this forum can be really insightful. Sometime the ignorance, and deliberate disregard for fact is astounding.
  • Options
    DRF said:

DA9 said:

DRF said:

Sometimes this forum can be really insightful. Sometime the ignorance, and deliberate disregard for fact is astounding.
    You seem to be the odd one out pal.
  • Options
    No, that is how the law defines it in relation to a disorder offence which is something quite different.
  • Options

your bait just aint juicy enough loco.

Are you saying I need a bigger worm?
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

DRF said:

DA9 said:

DRF said:

You seem to be the odd one out pal.
    And for that I am entirely greatful.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2012
    DRF said:

DA9 said:

DRF said:

Sometimes this forum can be really insightful, sometimes the ignorance of others views, and the flagrant denial that there is anything tangibly divisive about the alleged setting up of a certain group is astounding.

• Options
    DRF said:

DA9 said:

DRF said:

Can we set up a white footballers union in that case?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Loco said:

Redskin said:

Loco said:

Loco said:

Welcome Rip Van Winkle.

Being as I've asked twice and not got an answer, do I take it that nobody actually knows what racism is or is it that no one is prepared to say?

Perhaps Redskin is too timid to tell us his view on what it is, pusillanimous? No, surely not. It was not the unreconstructed I wanted the reply from, rather the reforming social engineers such as yourself. It seems such a simple thing to request, being as you are all talking about it surely you all know what it is!

I'd imagine nobody bothered because,like me,they considered it such an asinine question that it didn't warrant a reply.

Perhaps you'd enlighten us as to what a "reforming social engineer" is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

DRF said:

DA9 said:

DRF said:

Can we set up a white footballers union in that case?
    Of course you can - who do you think would actually stop you?
    I assume of course you are both white and a professional footballer?
  • Options
    Same mess, different broom!!
  • Options
    Apologies to whoever this may offend but can't get my head around this. I thought the whole idea of the Kick It Out Campaign was to give Black players equality. Surely setting up a players union just for Black players does the opposite??
  • Options

Apologies to whoever this may offend but can't get my head around this. I thought the whole idea of the Kick It Out Campaign was to give Black players equality. Surely setting up a players union just for Black players does the opposite??

Racism and the kick out campaign is not just about black players, racism is racism is racism, regardless of colour.

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2012
    True DA9, but I think it's naive to think Kick It Out was not initiated due to racism towards black players. It wasn't because white people had suffered from racist abuse from the terraces that's for sure...
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Racism and the kick out campaign is not just about black players, racism is racism is racism, regardless of colour.

I would agree with you if they weren't thinking of calling it "The Black Player's Union' I don't want to get into a debate about what's racist & what isn't. I just think setting up a union for Black players only causes a big problem in what the kick it out campaign was trying to achieve in the 1st place
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with the theory of members of an organisation setting up their own alternative organisation if they feel unrepresented.

The practicalities are somewhat different though with the specific case of the PFA and proposed BPA.

One example could be the longstanding pension scheme run by the PFA. If a player leaves to join the BPA does he sacrifice his pension rights? It's academic to high profile Premership players who earn telephone numbers and can afford to walk away but what about those lower down the food chain in leagues one and two or the Conference?

• Options

It is only for black players in name white players will be free to join

• Options
    LenGlover said:

There is nothing wrong with the theory of members of an organisation setting up their own alternative organisation if they feel unrepresented.

The practicalities are somewhat different though with the specific case of the PFA and proposed BPA.

One example could be the longstanding pension scheme run by the PFA. If a player leaves to join the BPA does he sacrifice his pension rights? It's academic to high profile Premership players who earn telephone numbers and can afford to walk away but what about those lower down the food chain in leagues one and two or the Conference?

Ironically the millionaire footballers probably don't need the same protection against prejudice either. Presumably they are better players so are going to be 'looked after' more as they are real assets to their clubs.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Loco said:

Redskin said:

Loco said:

Loco said:

Welcome Rip Van Winkle.

I'd imagine nobody bothered because,like me,they considered it such an asinine question that it didn't warrant a reply.

Perhaps you'd enlighten us as to what a "reforming social engineer" is.
    Happy to answer any question as soon as you answer mine.

It may have seemed a silly question to you however, I support the most politically progressive football club in the country (or so I’m told) who hold a "Kick Racism out of Football" campaigned every year and I thought people would be falling over themselves to explain it. Most of your children wear the little sticky badge with honour, what do you tell them?

Some are saying the new black players association is racist some are saying it's not, it seems to me perfectly sensible to enquire about the meaning of such term given the obviously disparate understanding.

Perhaps its time to get your head out of your backside and actually engage with people about these issues instead of trying to find obscure insults.