Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Captain (RIP)

Comments

• Options
    Proper CAFC. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Captain you'll always be part of our history. My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time
  • Options
    RIP Captain.
  • Options
    That win was for you pal I hope you are at peace

Still gutted

pork pie you done me proper
  • Options
    That was for you today Captain good to hear 'There's only one Captain' chant too. I guess though you would still have thought we played shite today though!
  • Options
    RIP Dave 'the captain' Taylor
  • Options
    A nice chant for him in the first half today. Only knew him in passing but if anything is going on at Charlton in his honour then I'll be there.
  • Options
    Like Pork Pie, i too saw Dave at Burnley not knowing it would be for the last time. I knew Dave for over 35 years and echo what everyone has said about him. I was driving home yesterday afternoon from work when i got the news in a phone call. I knew it was coming but it was still a shock. I couldnt make Watford today but what a result. I like to think the players put in that little bit extra for " Ol Cappo." Next Saturday a lot of us in the Con Club will have quite a quite few beers and remenissances. Thoughts go out to his family. So RIP mate. You will NEVER EVER be forgotten.

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND.
  • Options
    Heard the chants for him in the first half, must have been a Charlton legend. RIP.

Does anyone have a pic so those of us who may know the face can recognise him ?
  • Options
    Just found this out from reading Drinking During The Game - terrible news. I haven't been to away games so much lately, but Captain was always a face to look out and always generated a smile. Condolences to his friends and family. I'll raise a glass to him tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    This was Captain and I at the Northwich Victoria v Charlton cup game in November 2009. Bastards had just scored the moment this picture was taken. He immediately turned around and said: "Oh, Fu*k it!" Legend.
  • Options
    Was great to hear people singing his name today at Watford. Well done to all involved.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    pork_pie said:

This was Captain and I at the Northwich Victoria v Charlton cup game in November 2009. Bastards had just scored the moment this picture was taken. He immediately turned around and said: "Oh, Fu*k it!" Legend.

I'm sure I remember seeing Him on the tellybox behind the goal at this game!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

pork_pie said:

Yes, he was on the tv during that game.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

pork_pie said:

Yes, he was on the tv during that game.
    Yeah I remember pointing him out to me pals in the boozer as we watched it. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Me and dave had clashing views on a lot of things and I enjoyed our little niggles at each other, he told me off when I got pregnant and said I wasn't going to away games anymore, he was friendly all the time though (sometimes over friendly lol) in a harmless way though. But I will never forget the first time I went away without my dad he really looked after me, even shielded me from the stewards when I had a sneaky fag in the 'no-smoking' stadium of light. RIP Charlton have lost one of the best.
  • Options
    rip Captain tragic news but a release from the pain at least
  • Options
    I didn't know him but this thread has raised a couple of questions. Why was he called Captain? An underlying theme is that he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, needed to take what he said with a pinch of salt etc. Of course at this time one doesn't want insult the memory but he does seem to be a controversial character and I'm just interested in learning more about this fan.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I didn't know him but this thread has raised a couple of questions. Why was he called Captain? An underlying theme is that he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, needed to take what he said with a pinch of salt etc. Of course at this time one doesn't want insult the memory but he does seem to be a controversial character and I'm just interested in learning more about this fan.

From memory, he was nicknamed the captain because he reminded us of Captain Sensible.
  • Options
    Yes VM thats spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didnt recognise the first photo but I do on Porkpie's, seen him at many an away game.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Captain, another Charlton legend!
  • Options
    RIP Dave T.
  • Options
    Asked a couple of people yesterday at the game who he was and someone showed me a photo, was shocked! Seen him at pretty much every away I've been to, very loyal fan, he loved a booze by look of him, remember a particular boozey one for him at Yeovil away in the rain in 2009. RIP a true Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Was always drunk when I saw him, but he was friendly with it. RIP to another true addick
  • Options
    He doesn't look that old in the photos.

What killed him?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

He doesn't look that old in the photos.

What killed him?

Cancer
  • Options
    Chanting yesterday was incredible and epitomised what CAFC is all about. Spoke to Karen (his wife) this morning, can't pick up death cert until tomorrow but as soon as I know arrangements will post up. Would suggest booking the day after off work as well though.

Great post as well Abs, had me in floods.
  • Options
    Hope your alright Ian

Let us know if there is any help needed from any of us that knew cappo
  • Options

RIP