Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Captain (RIP)

Comments

• Options
    Sad news that another Charlton character has left The Valley. R.I.P Captain.
  • Options
    As I posted on FB another Charlton legend has gone to the Valley in the sky Captain will be with good company along with Duncan,Selwyn and Pittman!
    I will miss seeing you in portlands for a cheeky bet!
    RIP pal you will be missed
  • Options

As I posted on FB another Charlton legend has gone to the Valley in the sky Captain will be with good company along with Duncan,Selwyn and Pittman!

Remember 'big Duncan' from the 80's...RIP (assume you do mean big Duncan)?
  • Options

Selwyn and Pittman (are they not the same person)?
  • Options

No different people - Mark Pitts (Selwyn) and Ian Pitman

• Options
    1905 said:

No different people - Mark Pitts (Selwyn) and Ian Pitman

Fair enough, I knew Selwyn (only by a nod and a wink, if you know what I mean) can't say I knew Ian Pitman, though i may of by sight.
  • Options
    Was on a video posted in here a while back with Wing nutt talking about the move to shite hurst I think

• Options
    Only for a nano second did he appear.

You may have herd him once when he brought a bugle to a game and everytime we attacked he sounded the charge. Even some ofthe players were laughing

Remember Iam phoning me one New Years and saying they were all out in their "Kings Army" gear and on it---i didnt fancy it. Next day was on the news re people in Welling fighting with swords !

Or the day in Bexley him and his brother (mark) turned up in leaderhussen (sic)

• Options
    Only got to know Dave over the last few years when his boy Jake played in goal for Grasshoppers on a sunday morning with my son. He would be there whatever the weather - freezing cold or pissing down he'd be still there to help put up nets and all that, and never missed a game unless Charlton were playing. A really nice fella and Abbey Wood School and Charlton make him even better. A few of us Grasshopper parents raised a glass for him on new years eve. RIP Dave you'll be missed mate.
  • Options
    As NLA mentioned on another thread, very pleased that the weather didn't stop a great turnout for Captain this afternoon. Eltham Crematorium was absolutely packed with those wishing to see him off and it was done in some style. Some good memories from Ian in his eulogy, which raised some smiles and laughs...just how anyone should be remembered and hopefully it gave some comfort to his family on a very sad day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So many people there they could hardly close the doors. Iain gave the Eulogy with great humour. Good to see so mnay CAFC friends there.

Most heading off to Abbey Wood to sink a few - I have a feeling there may be a few sore heads in the morning.

RIP Captain.
  • Options
    Just got in
  • Options
    Sorry I couldn't get there.Once more RIP old friend.
  • Options
    Great tribute from rock spectacle, and a great turnout, RIP fella.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Loved the comment about Jacko scoring the winner against Watford.

One by the Captain for the Captain.

Who would have thougth it both left footers!

• Options
    Turn out was top draw no more than the man deserved

I hate them places and stayed just outside could hear what ian said great tribute abd the respect shown was a credit to those there

• Options
    Could he be described as a bit argumentative? If so then I think I've only just realised who this is.
    RIP
  • Options
    Great turn out for a Man that will be remembered by Many.Many Happy days with you Captain.You will always be remembered.Ian C - your eulogy was Spot on. RIP Captain.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Could he be described as a bit argumentative? If so then I think I've only just realised who this is.
    RIP

There are a couple of photos on p3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I felt privileged to be there and, despite the circumstances, it was a fantastic day. Great to see a few people for the first time in a long time and I got the chance to sample Captains local in Costa del Abbey Wood. I would have liked to have stayed longer and meet Captains missus but I returned to the North at a decent time. I have the day off today not to nurse a hangover but to reflect on yesterday. We are a fantastic community. Great job, Ian with that speech. See you soon.
  • Options
    Sorry I couldn't attend, got a text from wingnut saying it was a good send off though.

RIP Cappo.
  • Options
    Well said pork pie
  • Options
    RIP Captain... he had me in stitches on many train trips to away games a few years back (haven't been since having the kids). He was a legend and will be missed by many at Charlton. Heart was in the right place and he certainly loved the Addicks!
  • Options
    pork_pie said:

I felt privileged to be there and, despite the circumstances, it was a fantastic day. Great to see a few people for the first time in a long time and I got the chance to sample Captains local in Costa del Abbey Wood. I would have liked to have stayed longer and meet Captains missus but I returned to the North at a decent time. I have the day off today not to nurse a hangover but to reflect on yesterday. We are a fantastic community. Great job, Ian with that speech. See you soon.

Hope you've warmed up fella, good to see you again, been a while :-)

• Options
    Due to work commitments I couldn't make it. Cheered to learn that Ian delivered an excellent eulogy and that he had a memorable send off, RIP Captain.

If there are details of a charity for donations possibly by the undertakers I would appreciate.
  • Options
    couldnt make it yesterday spoke to NSS said it was a great turn out no more than captain deserved.
  • Options
    Pork Pie was it yourself in the back of my car at the falcon ? if so sorry we didnt catch up but buy the time you have said high to everyone or understood what the Dundee guys are saying it was time to go !
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The friendly guy with the BMW? Oh man, I did not realise that was you - last time I chatted to you was in 2002 when Addicks meet ups in the Maple Leaf were regular events. Yeah mate thanks very much for the lift to the Jolly. It was much appreciated. Will hopefully catch up again at some point.
  • Options

Pork Pie was it yourself in the back of my car at the falcon ? if so sorry we didnt catch up but buy the time you have said high to everyone or understood what the Dundee guys are saying it was time to go !

Vince looked good in that coat in a photo i saw mate.