Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clattenberg

Comments

• Options
    The only thing that surprises me about all of this is that Liverpool aren't involved.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I call my mate a "Norvan monkey" all the time.
    I call my son a "cheeky monkey" all the time.
    I went to "Monkey World" whilst on holiday this year.

I didn't realise the word "monkey" was so racist. Me bad.

There was a pop group called The Monkees, they changed the spelling to cover up the obvious racist undertones.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Off_it said:

There was a pop group called The Monkees, they changed the spelling to cover up the obvious racist undertones.
    I thought it had more to do with the Beatles not being called the 'Beetles' .. the Monkees were a designed for TV pop group aimed at the huge teeny bopper US audience which was Beatles crazy.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Off_it said:

Careful -Feargal Sharkey has just phoned his lawyers.
  • Options
    HMV are rumoured to be removing all Arctic Monkeys CD's from the shelves until clarification is received as to whether the term "Arctic" is racist.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    and Black Sabbath, for religious reasons ofc
  • Options

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

I thought it had more to do with the Beatles not being called the 'Beetles' .. the Monkees were a designed for TV pop group aimed at the huge teeny bopper US audience which was Beatles crazy.
    WHOOSH!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

Careful -Feargal Sharkey has just phoned his lawyers.
    Lol..
  • Options
    I'd have to watch it again to make sure, but I recall they went to the yellow card being shown after the steward was pictured getting treatment. I don't remember any outrage from the Chelsea players involved at the time, other than the usual whingeing. I would have thought there would have been more of a reaction.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Some might say Torres was lucky to still be on the pitch for planting a boot firmly in the chest of the Utd player.

Glad someone else said this, I thought he was incredibly lucky to survive that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As above, he should have been sent off for the first one. Chelsea neglect to mention this

What about the steward being strangled by the passionate chelsea idiots? Chelsea forget this also

Nss said if, and it's a very big speculative 'if' Clattenburg gets collared for this all referees should instantly send off anyone who uses foul language. Simple. I totally agree with this sentiment.

And his punishment will be in keeping with John Terry's punishment?

Chelsea are a mickey mouse club, completely classless.

• Options
    Either way Chelsea will come out if this winning as I doubt he'll ever ref one of their games again.
  • Options
    If Clattenburg is innocent then he should be able to ref wherever they appoint him.
  • Options
    Like the majority on here I can't imagine that a ref who's been in the game as long as Battenburg would be so indiscreet.

I wonder if the honeymoon is over for football - many more stories like this and sponsors will start to turn away from it, swiftly followed by Sky and the money-men...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Saga Lout said:

I wonder if the honeymoon is over for football - many more stories like this and sponsors will start to turn away from it, swiftly followed by Sky and the money-men...

I think fans could turn away but don't think Sky will as they won't lose the viewers who defend their team no matter what happens.

Things might improve though if a few clubs have to cut their cloth and tell players they won't have total control alongside their agents.
  • Options
    The PGMO have issued a very strong statement in support of Mark Clattenburg today, suggesting that they're very confident that he has no case to answer. Surprising in the circumstances.

Moreover, it is now being suggested that neither Mata nor Mikel heard the alleged remarks and that instead were informed by David Luiz and Ramires. I wonder how good their English is?

Clattenburg will never referee again if he's found "guilty". On the other hand, if the allegations are found to be groundless, Chelsea could be in serious trouble - they certainly would be if the FA had any wotsits.

You really couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    I have not read any of this thread (because I am not allowed to get stressed out) so I am sure I am repeating what had been said before, but why on earth would Mr. Clattenburg say anything racist in the first place, secondly, why would he do it in the current climate, and thirdly, why in a match involving Chelsea?
  • Options

I have not read any of this thread (because I am not allowed to get stressed out) so I am sure I am repeating what had been said before, but why on earth would Mr. Clattenburg say anything racist in the first place, secondly, why would he do it in the current climate, and thirdly, why in a match involving Chelsea?

Perry, great to see you here. There are other threads far more dangerous to your stress levels :-)

And of course you have summarised exactly what most people on this thread are asking themselves.

Get well soon, mate.

• Options
    Thank you Mr. H, much appreciated!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What happened?
    With the score 2-2 and Chelsea reduced to nine men after Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres were sent off, Javier Hernandez controversially puts United ahead with 15 minutes left. In the chaos that follows, Mark Clattenburg is confronted by Chelsea players and books John Obi Mikel in the 76th minute. Chelsea players allege this is when Clattenburg aimed a racial slur at Mikel and used ‘inappropriate language’ towards a Spanish player, thought to be Juan Mata.

Who heard what?
    Brazilian midfielder Ramires looked on as Clattenburg booked Mikel, the referee raising a finger to his lips to tell the Nigerian to keep quiet. Mata was also close by as the Chelsea players protested about United’s goal. It is understood Mikel himself did not hear the alleged comment and was told of it later by team-mates.

Clattenburg was linked by microphone to his two assistants, Michael McDonough and Simon Long, and the fourth official, Mike Jones. All four officials wear earpieces, so any comments should have been heard — unless Clattenburg covered his microphone.

The microphone system was first used by Premier League referees in the 2006-07 season and allows the referee to communicate key information to his assistants. However, the microphone messages are not recorded, so any evidence will have to come from the testimony of Clattenburg’s assistants.

What about video evidence?
    So far there has been nothing such as the explosive film that played such a big part in the John Terry case. Sky will undoubtedly be asked to provide footage from the many cameras they use to cover live matches. In the Terry case, footage was posted on the internet within hours of the end of the match.

What next?
    Clattenburg and his match officials will have been asked for a statement, usually sent by email to the FA’s governance department, on their recollection of events at Stamford Bridge.

The officials are urged to tell the truth and are reminded that this case could be judged by an independent regulatory commission.

Match officials may seek independent legal advice.

FA urge officials to respond quickly, particularly in light of delays to Luis Suarez and John Terry cases.

Compliance department meets to discuss the nature of Chelsea’s complaint and the evidence of the match officials.

If they charge Clattenburg under Rule E3 he will have 14 days to respond. He may request a personal hearing or accept the allegations.

If Clattenburg is charged, the FA will visit the match officials and any other witnesses, including John Obi Mikel, Juan Mata and other Chelsea players, to take full statements.

The FA’s handling of the case could, of course, be delayed by any police proceedings. The John Terry case did, after all, hang over football for 12 months.

Professional referees
    English referees first became professional in 2001 when the Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOB) was formed. Top Premier League referees are paid an annual salary in excess of £70,000, which includes a retainer and individual match fees of around £1,000.

The best officials typically referee around 30 Premier League games a season, though this can fluctuate depending on form. Those at the top are then selected by FIFA and UEFA to take charge of big games. Howard Webb refereed both the World Cup and Champions League finals in 2010.

ANDREW MAGEE, JAMIE PRESLAND

More...
    Chelsea beef up Stamford Bridge security to prevent repeat of violent scenes in League Cup clash with United
    Expect fireworks! Chelsea plan a freak show for Manchester United in their re-match (but let's hope ref Lee Mason doesn't have a horror show of his own)
    Police launch probe into ref race storm... but did a Chelsea player threaten to 'break the legs' of Clattenburg during showdown?
    Revealed: How Mikel racism row erupted and landed Clattenburg in the dock
    Clattenburg controversy obscured a stunning day of football that shows why Premier League is still the best
    Graham Poll: I know Clattenburg will be shocked, angry and going over every detail in his head

TOP SPORT STORIES

LIVE: Capital One Cup fourth round - the action as it happens
    Follow coverage of the final three ties of the round as Chelsea's face Manchester United

Chelsea lodge complaint with FA about Clattenburg's 'racial abuse' of Mikel BUT drop allegation on Mata
    Chelsea have submitted a formal complaint

Clattenburg wishes he'd NOT sent off Torres
    Mark Clattenburg has admitted privately that he wished he had not sent off Fernando Torres against Man United

Behave yourselves! Chelsea issue warning to their own fans
    Chelsea have used their programme to warn fans ahead of the League Cup

I can't pay speeding fine as I'm out of work and have no money coming in, insists former £120k-a-week Chelsea star Michael Ballack

Chelsea lodge complaint with FA about Clattenburg's 'racial abuse' of Mikel BUT drop allegation regarding Mata
    PSG to launch ultra-ambitious £100m bid for Ronaldo... AND Mourinho!
  • Options
    If Chelsea claims are unproven / proven false could Clattenburg sue in the courts for either defamation of character or libel?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

If Chelsea claims are unproven / proven false could Clattenburg sue in the courts for either defamation of character or libel?

Possibly but would be near impossible to prove, would turn into he said/they said.

No doubt though that the claim he called a black player a 'monkey' does infer he is a racist and that is clearly libellous.
  • Options
    I am amazed at myself how much I am rooting for Clattenburg on this one, even while I know that he was the ref who failed to punish the animal who finished Pringle's career.
  • Options
    When this gets thrown out as a load of 'ol rubbish (as it surely is) i'd like to see Chelsea charged with wasting everyones time. They've clearly got the hump about the Terry saga and because they had 2 blokes sent off and lost this particular match they're clinging to any excuse to try and hit back.

I'm no fan of Clattenburg but hes not stupid enough to be a racist or use racist lingo to any players and thats not even taking into account the current climate surrounding the issue. He may have swore at the players, I accept that easily but you can bet ya mortgage that was in response to being swore at by the Chelsea players in the first place. For them to get a cobb-on about it and start pointing the finger accusingly is pathetic and they certainly ain't doing the image of the club any good.

I can't see any other outcome than this issue gets dismissed by the authorities cos the alternative would be a 'mare. I think the racist language issue is a non starter but imagine if Chelsea pushed so hard the FA felt obliged to charge him with using `offensive' language, ie swearing? The other Ref's would feel very bitter about this and would fight back resulting in games finishing 2 a side cos everyone knows the players swear at the refs all day long. They'd be perfectly within their rights to dish out the reds citing `offensive' language directed at them....and who could blame 'em?
  • Options
    But the numerous "wanker" signs are fine .......... clearly.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I just wish we could find out what exactly is alleged to have been said. if it was something like "Cheeky monkey" then its a non issue, if its "You xxxxxxx monkey" thats different.

As an aside I have used as a form of endearment "monkey face "to my daughter. My daughters initials are EV. I phoned her one day and left a message on her answer phone, hello "Monkey Face" , afew hours later my very black friend Everton, who is in my phone book as EV, phoned me and said "I had a very strange message from you!" That took some explaining.
  • Options

When this gets thrown out as a load of 'ol rubbish (as it surely is) i'd like to see Chelsea charged with wasting everyones time. They've clearly got the hump about the Terry saga and because they had 2 blokes sent off and lost this particular match they're clinging to any excuse to try and hit back.

I'm no fan of Clattenburg but hes not stupid enough to be a racist or use racist lingo to any players and thats not even taking into account the current climate surrounding the issue. He may have swore at the players, I accept that easily but you can bet ya mortgage that was in response to being swore at by the Chelsea players in the first place. For them to get a cobb-on about it and start pointing the finger accusingly is pathetic and they certainly ain't doing the image of the club any good.

I can't see any other outcome than this issue gets dismissed by the authorities cos the alternative would be a 'mare. I think the racist language issue is a non starter but imagine if Chelsea pushed so hard the FA felt obliged to charge him with using `offensive' language, ie swearing? The other Ref's would feel very bitter about this and would fight back resulting in games finishing 2 a side cos everyone knows the players swear at the refs all day long. They'd be perfectly within their rights to dish out the reds citing `offensive' language directed at them....and who could blame 'em?

good post