Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clattenberg

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2012

When this gets thrown out as a load of 'ol rubbish (as it surely is) i'd like to see Chelsea charged with wasting everyones time. They've clearly got the hump about the Terry saga and because they had 2 blokes sent off and lost this particular match they're clinging to any excuse to try and hit back.

I'm no fan of Clattenburg but hes not stupid enough to be a racist or use racist lingo to any players and thats not even taking into account the current climate surrounding the issue. He may have swore at the players, I accept that easily but you can bet ya mortgage that was in response to being swore at by the Chelsea players in the first place. For them to get a cobb-on about it and start pointing the finger accusingly is pathetic and they certainly ain't doing the image of the club any good.

I can't see any other outcome than this issue gets dismissed by the authorities cos the alternative would be a 'mare. I think the racist language issue is a non starter but imagine if Chelsea pushed so hard the FA felt obliged to charge him with using `offensive' language, ie swearing? The other Ref's would feel very bitter about this and would fight back resulting in games finishing 2 a side cos everyone knows the players swear at the refs all day long. They'd be perfectly within their rights to dish out the reds citing `offensive' language directed at them....and who could blame 'em?

good post
    Yes, indeed. Especially the last paragraph. Referees are only human and it will be interesting to see how they deal with Chelsea players in future. Upsetting referees must be on a par with upsetting HMRC revenue inspectors.
  • Options
    If Clattenburg gets charged without sufficient evidence, just to keep Chelsea happy, then i can see a walk out from the refs.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Apparently the issue is the fact Clattenburg speaks in a Geordie accent and Luis and ramirez mistook mickel for monkey

Unreal for Chelsea to react like this

Only because John terry fact
  • Options

If Clattenburg gets charged without sufficient evidence, just to keep Chelsea happy, then i can see a walk out from the refs.

Agreed, there is no way the referees will accept this, if Chelsea get away with this then every club will try the same trick if they get a bad decision, they will make up some spurious bollocks about the referee to smear him and either make sure they don't have him ref their games again or put him under huge pressure to favour them if he does referee them again.
  • Options

Apparently the issue is the fact Clattenburg speaks in a Geordie accent and Luis and ramirez mistook mickel for monkey

Unreal for Chelsea to react like this

Only because John terry fact

A couple of years back Evra said he was called an "Immigrant" by chelsea pitch tenders, on the pitch, after a game whilst "warming down". He was actually called "Ignorant" for going onto an area when asked not too.

• Options
    Not sure how much blame can be labelled at Chelsea (as a club) for this one, if and that is a huge if, this is without foundation the blame lies solely with the players who have made the accusations. I'm sure if one of our players had been called something by anyone (ref, player, visiting coaching staff etc.) we would want our club to make a complaint on their behalf.

Difficult situation for them to be in really, what I read the other day was that they went and asked Mikel if he was 100% sure he had heard what he had. On the one hand they need to be seen to be protecting their players (some would argue to well in the past) but on the other I'm sure the management would have been fully aware of the huge s**t storm this would create given recent goings on.
  • Options
    I understand you point Col, but its as if the club are the ones persuing punishment on Clattenburg when the player in question heard f**k all. Would Chelsea have done the same thing if they had won the game? i doubt it.

Stinks of being bad losers imo.
  • Options
    Surely they have to be the ones pursuing it if one of their players made the complaint. As I said above I understand they asked Mikel and the others were they totally sure as they didn't want to raise this if it was made up. That's not to say it isn't but I guess they have to go on what their players have said.

Your point about the bad losers, that says you don't believe what Clattenberg is being accused of, I guess that's your opinion and it is good everyone has different opinions. Personally I'm keeping an open mind about this, I think people's judgements are far too clouded in football due to their dislike of certain players or clubs. Look at the Ferdinand Terry situation, there were a huge number of people (and not just Chelsea fans) looking to defend Terry in the immediate aftermath without any real basis other than they didn't particularly like Anton Ferdinand.

Do I think Clattenberg made racist remarks? It's unlikely however I'm not going to completely rule it out.
  • Options
    I just like to believe a well respected ref wouldnt dream of saying anything like that or be that stupid. After everything thats happened with JT etc, he would have to be sandwich short of a picnic.

Chelsea dont bother me as a club, but dragging a mans name through the gutter to defend a player who didnt even hear what was said is a step too far imo.
  • Options
    I'd like to think no one would say a thing like that however it simply isn't the case. Unfortunately in this country (as much as people want to ignore it) there are still those who are prejudiced due to race. No one here knows Clattenberg personally so no one can say for definite whether he would or wouldn't say that sort of thing.

If the allegations are proved or disproved then the correct punishments have to be handed out. Until then none of us can really make any accusations at either Clattenberg or Chelsea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea - fighting racism since Sunday, as the United fans so aptly observed!
  • Options
    Looks like both Wenger and Ferguson have basically called Chelsea liars in the last 48 hours
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The thing is, if all the 'charges' are dropped, Mikel and Ramires will be able to say that they were mistaken about what they heard, they are very sorry, language barrier etc etc .. when really, it was probably more like an overwraught reaction from them after a disappointing game. IF this 'case' proves to be a storm in a tea cup, both Mikel and Ramires should be banned for a while and severely warned as to their future conduct. IF Mikel is found to have acted maliciously, he should be banned for life. Enough of people of all races crying 'wolf'
  • Options
    Agree Lincs, also to balance it out if Clattenberg is found to be guilty he should be banned for life.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Agree Lincs, also to balance it out if Clattenberg is found to be guilty he should be banned for life.

agreed of course
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

agreed of course
    Surely only a 4 game ban?
  • Options
    They can't ban Clattenberg for live, he's simply appeal, and win the appeal. The FA have set the standard for a single incidence of racial abuse at 4 weeks ban and a couple of weeks wages. If they try and impose a far harsher penalty at the very least it'll get taken to the court of arbitration for sport.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Its a nothing story...and Chelsea know it. They also know that simply by making an offical accusation it'll damage Clattenberg and get him, at the very least, suspended for a time.
    It's a disgraceful cheap shot at the FA, Clattenberg and the rest of the British footballing public...and they know there'll be no real come-back onto them. Even Fergie and Wenger have now stated publically that Chelsea have stepped over the line on this one. It's a blatent abuse of the system and Chelsea couldn't give a f*** who gets damaged in the process. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    The Premiership couldn't be any more like a soap opera.....Dirty Den v Albert Tatlock!
  • Options
    I presume Fergie and Wenger have seen the evidence and individuals statements to come to those conclusions?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder what the odds are on Chelsea getting another penalty this season? Just a thought!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I wonder what the odds are on Chelsea getting another penalty this season? Just a thought!

LOL

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

Like the majority on here I can't imagine that a ref who's been in the game as long as Battenburg would be so indiscreet.

I wonder if the honeymoon is over for football - many more stories like this and sponsors will start to turn away from it, swiftly followed by Sky and the money-men...

Sky love this. Sky sports News NEED this. The press do. Any coverage is good coverage for most of the sponsors.

As much as I hate Chelsea, I don't believe they are attempting to deflect anything - I think TPTB at Chelsea probably didn't want Mikel or whoever to pursue this. They cross-examined him, apparently, a lot before launching the charge. But if the players are insistent - and it's the petty-minded players who were incensed by Clattenburg the most on the day - then Chelsea have to follow it up. It's their duty to.

Personally, I think the players either mis-heard or, less likely, thought they could get one back on Clattenburg, and Chelsea have no choice but to back their players.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I presume Fergie and Wenger have seen the evidence and individuals statements to come to those conclusions?

Sir was always going to back his own man publically

• Options
    Quote " I think TPTB at Chelsea probably didn't want Mikel or whoever to pursue this. They cross-examined him, apparently, a lot before launching the charge. "

He, alledegely, stormed into the Ref's dressing room 5 minutes after the match.
  • Options
    Nice to see Clattenburg engaging in a bit of ethnic banter
  • Options
    The Police have dropped their investigation into Clattenberg, quoth the BBC - although with their recent track record, I'd get it checked
  • Options
    there is nothing to investigate. Neither of the players allededly involved even heard the comments. Luiz and Ramieries apparently did but seeing as neither speak English properly it is most likely they misheard what was said. Chelsea came out and publicly slated Clattenberg before they had properly questioned anyone and before they had made an official complaint through the proper channels. As a result they have tainted a mans previous good character for no reason at all. Once it has been established there is no charge for Clattenberg to answer, and it will, then Chelsea should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute which they certainly have done.
  • Options
    I read that Buck has said that Chelski would have been criticised if they hadn't made the complaint. But by whom??? And if they felt compelled to make a complaint, why not do it in the usual discreet way, rather than a public statement?? Sounds like he already recognises that this is bo**ocks.

And that Chelski have a 'duty of care' towards Terry!!! He is a 31 year old footballer earning (or rather being paid) over £100k a week. Maybe he could pay for his own carer:-)
  • Options
    LargeAddick, Legaladdick...

Well said, sirs...