Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charge to use Blackwall Tunnel

Comments

• Options
    He needs more cash as the move to Newham has cost him more than what he predicted (The savings will be nowhere near the £50m over five years that he states)
  • Options
    I'm no fan of Khan, but the toll is to pay for the Silvertown Tunnel Construction. There's no government money for it.
  • Options
    Silvertown will already attract a lot more people to what is already a traffic nightmare. If they didn’t charge it would be even worse. 
  • Options
    I'm no fan of Khan, but the toll is to pay for the Silvertown Tunnel Construction. There's no government money for it.
    Pay for a tunnel that isn't actually going to help with anything, the pollution around the southside of the tunnels will be even higher, the local roads are already fucked due to restricted roads because of a barely used cycle super highway, with further problems coming in the near future with the re-building of Charlton Riverside to add another 8000 houses. I agree with many on here that we don't have enough crossings right now, but one from Thamesmead to Gallions Reach or Dagenham would have made much more sense
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The narrative that everything is in order to raise money for Sadiq Khan to fritter away on Rolex Watches and Range Rovers is laughable.
    The ULEZ is costing around £160million to bring in. When do the profits start to roll in?
    Perhaps part of this overall conversation could be about the health benefits of cleaner air.
    Having said that, there shouldn’t be a charge for the Blackwall Tunnel as it has always been free, nor the Rotherhithe one either.
    Dartford as a ‘new’ crossing is different.
    However if every river crossing from Gravesend to Henley had a charge for vehicles it would be a fascinating happenstance.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    fadgadget said:
    So correct me if ive got this wrong 
    £15 a day congestion charge
    £12.50 Ulez charge , for non compliant vehicles
    £8 toll for tunnel 
    £35.50 each day to drive into Central  London
    Why would you use a tunnel to get into central London?
    yeah if you're driving into central london then tbh you deserve to pay this level of idiot tax.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    £4 would be a pisstake when Dartford costs £2.50 or £1.66 if paid by direct debit 
    Hi mate is it this you're referring to? I'm seeing £2 but not £1.66... is that somewhere else? 

apply-for-a-Dart-Charge-pre-pay-account.pdf (pay-dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk)
  • Options
    The Silvertown Tunnel is a waste of money and improves nothing. Nobody wants it.

Utter f***ing joke.
  • Options
    £4 would be a pisstake when Dartford costs £2.50 or £1.66 if paid by direct debit 
    Hi mate is it this you're referring to? I'm seeing £2 but not £1.66... is that somewhere else? 

apply-for-a-Dart-Charge-pre-pay-account.pdf (pay-dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk)
    Sorry, I hadn't noticed that the charge for account holders had gone up from £1.67 to £2.00
  • Options
    All good points lads and the climate debate is a no brainer, no arguments from me.

However, the general opinion of the road using public is important too, and for OUR economy more so.  Your average driver for business and/or pleasure will be the most heavily taxed individual in this country, they get hit everywhere and everyway, to list it here would cause a Sage like sized post.  Of course they are going to be pissed off at £4 to use a resourse that has been free to use for over 150yrs. 

The ULEZ should cover one crossing and back also.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Probably worth pointing out that Goldsmith no doubt would have rolled ULEZ out had he won. He is a very strong environmentalist who ran an incredibly ill advised campaign.

The only reason Tories are saying they'd scrap it now is so that they can gain the votes of everyone furious at it. 

The majority of people are in favour of it, but saying you will scrap it will gain way more votes than it will lose. 

I am pro ULEZ but it wouldn't determine who I vote for, whereas I imagine saving £12.50 a day would be quite an incentive...
  • Options
    All good points lads and the climate debate is a no brainer, no arguments from me.

However, the general opinion of the road using public is important too, and for OUR economy more so.  Your average driver for business and/or pleasure will be the most heavily taxed individual in this country, they get hit everywhere and everyway, to list it here would cause a Sage like sized post.  Of course they are going to be pissed off at £4 to use a resourse that has been free to use for over 150yrs. 

The ULEZ should cover one crossing and back also.

Ok I'll bite, I'd like to see the working on this. Inflation adjusted the costs of running a car in this country has been very reasonable. In fact car taxation and fuel duty are all lower in real terms over the past few decades. It's actually one area of society the government tries to protect because the average motorist always feels like a victim every time they are asked to pay their way. 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    So correct me if ive got this wrong 
    £15 a day congestion charge
    £12.50 Ulez charge , for non compliant vehicles
    £8 toll for tunnel 
    £35.50 each day to drive into Central  London
    Stay in Central London and borrow your mums car for 7 years while you live at home saving for a house 💪
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The narrative that everything is in order to raise money for Sadiq Khan to fritter away on Rolex Watches and Range Rovers is laughable.
    The ULEZ is costing around £160million to bring in. When do the profits start to roll in?
    Perhaps part of this overall conversation could be about the health benefits of cleaner air.
    Having said that, there shouldn’t be a charge for the Blackwall Tunnel as it has always been free, nor the Rotherhithe one either.
    Dartford as a ‘new’ crossing is different.
    However if every river crossing from Gravesend to Henley had a charge for vehicles it would be a fascinating happenstance.
    When do the profits start coming in? I worked it out and it's 1,100 years!
  • Options

Sadiq Khan hints that drivers could be charged £5.25 to use Blackwall Tunnel and Silvertown Tunnel

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sadiq-khan-drivers-charged-5-25-blackwall-tunnel-silvertown/
  • Options
    Khan needs more of your cash .. smile, pay up and vote Labour
    The alternative would be to vote for the islamaphobic racist Enoch Powell  loving Susan Hall! As a non white in South London I can do without her. 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Khan needs more of your cash .. smile, pay up and vote Labour
    The alternative would be to vote for the islamaphobic racist Enoch Powell  loving Susan Hall! As a non white in South London I can do without her. 
    Yeh, hate their ilk!!!
  • Options
    It would be ridiculous to charge so much more for Blackwall and Silvertown than for Dartford or indeed the free Tower Bridge and Rotherhithe. 

People would hate it if the charges were consistent with Dartford, but probably accept them as being reasonable or at least logical. 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    I thought on the arguments for ULEZ we established that low income households likely don’t have a car? 

Surely it should be a discount for any London resident regardless of borough . As I come under Bexley council why would I be less likely to use the tunnel than someone in Plumstead for example?

Also to propose its means tested in some way is an admin overhead and makes it more expensive to manage the scheme. 

Feels like a smokescreen. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    fadgadget said:
    I thought on the arguments for ULEZ we established that low income households likely don’t have a car? 

Surely it should be a discount for any London resident regardless of borough . As I come under Bexley council why would I be less likely to use the tunnel than someone in Plumstead for example?

Also to propose its means tested in some way is an admin overhead and makes it more expensive to manage the scheme. 

Feels like a smokescreen. 

My thoughts too. One minute it's 'low income drivers are the ones suffering and less likely to own a car' the next it's a plea to the government to help low income drivers afford the charge. Classic Khan.
  • Options
    I live near the Blackwall Tunnel and think the Silvertown link is the most stupid idea going. Not clear why SE London is deserving of this treatment?

A huge cost for little or no benefit.

• Options
    Charge those crossing the river all the way up to Henley.

Apropos nothing, the band Patto once had a verse in a song that went:

#Henley Regatta
    With Jomo Kenyatta
    Oars at the ready
    Steady boys steady#
  • Options
    An unwanted and pointless additional crossing that will do nothing re congestion and tolls as well - utterly f***ing pointless. On top of that sounds like local residents won't get any discounts.

• Options
    Cornish MP Sherll Murray has today asked at PMQs for the Tamar Toll to be removed. 

Her argument was that this 'tax' made her part of Cornwall less competitive.  She asked that 'levelling up' should be applied.  Well if her argument is allowed to stand what about us poor SE Londoners?  With tolls to apply at Blackwall, Silvertown and Dartford we are discriminated against.  We too could do with some levelling up to our - North of the river - cousins.   
  • Options
    Cornish MP Sherll Murray has today asked at PMQs for the Tamar Toll to be removed. 

Her argument was that this 'tax' made her part of Cornwall less competitive.  She asked that 'levelling up' should be applied.  Well if her argument is allowed to stand what about us poor SE Londoners?  With tolls to apply at Blackwall, Silvertown and Dartford we are discriminated against.  We too could do with some levelling up to our - North of the river - cousins.   
    It’s not north of the river, it’s west of the meridian.
  • Options

Sorry but the charge will be both ways so level.

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

I assume this is in effect non negotiable as the financial model now likely requires the income. 

What irks me most is the perception of deceit. Why not just be up front about it in advance of the build. 

I do wonder why there can’t be a modest compromise of some form of discount for local residents (Greenwich, Bexley , Bromley and Lewisham who frankly have no choice relative to other London crossings). 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

True, but in all the years I used the Blackwall tunnel the morning rush hour was 99 percent heading north and the evening rush hour 99 percent South.  The vast majority of users were heading to work in the City or beyond.  Those scallywags from Essex get away with it scot free.