Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Potential FA Cup Game - MK Dons Vs AFC Wimbledon

Comments

• Options
    Were their attendances any different between Selhurst and Plough lane, i doubt it very much so not a valid argument. They were a small and relatively new league club in a small catchment area.

They were killed by not going back to merton and people like Winkelman and Sam Hamman not looking at the possibilty!
  • Options
    I bet they had a better average at Selhurst in the prem than we did
  • Options
    buckshee said:

MrOneLung said:

Winkelman's purchase of the club was solely based on moving the club to Milton Keynes, he never had any interest in keeping the club of wimbledon going but looked at it as a quicker way of getting a club into the football league.

How can you say the fans let the club die? by not following the club 80 miles they let it die?</</b>b> absolute rubbish.

No, by not going 7 miles to Selhurst Park. It was not the move to Milton Keynes that killed them, they were already dead.

Then if that's the case the league should not have allowed the move and instead promoted an extra team from the conference a year later.

We hardly attended matches in our droves at selhurst so would it have been fair for the same to happen to us?
    So they would have lost their team anyway?
    They were going bust and wothout the move would have folded.
    The fans did not support the team to make it survive as it was - they cannot complain.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

We were never in the premier league at Selhurst.

• Options
    So it was nothing like us, but on a cold Tuesday night against Yeovil we had a gate of about 13k but a few years before against Arsenal we had 27k guess all those "fans" coaches must of broke down.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    To say the wombles did nothing to save their club is a bit daft. Some strange comments on this thread
  • Options

buckshee said:

We were in the equivalent at the time (1st Division).

• Options
    edited November 2012
    DanDavis said:

buckshee said:

No comparison. Different time completely different league.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

buckshee said:

Have you ever agreed with anyone on here?!
  • Options
    edited November 2012

DanDavis said:

buckshee said:

Have you ever agreed with anyone on here?!

With you I haven't. But neither have many else. Oh and when are you going to change your profile pic it's bloody annoying ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the overriding point here is that the Wimbledon fans didn't desert them in the hour of need....they simply didn't have much of a fan base to begin with. And no-one on here can blame the Dons fans that didn't want to go to Selhurst to watch home games......for that comparison is identical with us.
  • Options
    OK, so should the club have just folded completely rather than be allowed to move to MK?

• Options
    Im no great lover of Wimbledon as a club but they had there club stolen, cant imagine how soul destroying that would be if it happened to us and the amount of fans they had at the time means nothing as a club which has 500 fans has the same passion as a club with 50,000 it is still there club.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

OK, so should the club have just folded completely rather than be allowed to move to MK?

Folded and reformed (which they did) and a team from the conference take their league place instead of it being given away.
  • Options

York v Cambridge should be a good game

hahahaha
  • Options
    buckshee said:

MrOneLung said:

Folded and reformed (which they did) and a team from the conference take their league place instead of it being given away.

This all day long

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

I thought it was madness and disgraceful how these Wimbledon fans got treated. There were plenty of other areas they could have re-located nearer but the fact Milton Keynes has a lot of potential they decided to boycott the fans and move the club to Milton Keynes.

Everything about MK Dons disgraces me, they took Wimbledon's history, the kit, the players and even their own nickname but of course the fans came last on the priority list. Even Palace deserve to be in the football league than MK Dons and that took some effort for me to say that. I can remember slating the MK Dons on a facebook group and the fans just had no clue or feeling about Wimbledon at all, just full of plastics who claim MK Dons can't do no wrong.

I don't know how I would feel if I was a Wimbledon fan but I would love it soooo much when AFC Wimbledon go past MK Dons in the league and MK Dons go out of business. That's how disgraced I feel about the way it got handled.

This^^^

Hope AFC stuff em. Reckon it might go off too
  • Options

I have never said it was acceptable and If I had been a Wimbledon fan at that time I would have been livid.

what I said, and have always said, is that to me MK Dons ARE Wimbledon - they simply moved grounds (and then changed their name a little while later)

This doesn't make sense, MK Dons are MK Dons, AFC Wimbledon are AFC Wimbledon & Wimbledon FC are a football club that no longer exist.

It's the same as me cutting my bollocks off and renaming myself Martha.

Btw MK Dons renounced all connections to Wimbledon in 2007 after pressure from the SFS.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I have never said it was acceptable and If I had been a Wimbledon fan at that time I would have been livid.

what I said, and have always said, is that to me MK Dons ARE Wimbledon - they simply moved grounds (and then changed their name a little while later)

This doesn't make sense, MK Dons are MK Dons, AFC Wimbledon are AFC Wimbledon & Wimbledon FC are a football club that no longer exist.

Btw MK Dons renounced all connections to Wimbledon in 2007 after pressure from the SFS.
    That last part is not really true if they keep the second part of there club name.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

and at the time they made a big deal of giving back everything they took from Wimbledon (the FA Cup and so on) but not the league place they took I notice.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had no idea that back in the 70's there was talk of us going to Milton Keynes.....how the feck would that town have supported 2 clubs???!!!
  • Options

DanDavis said:

buckshee said:

That's right. Football was only invented in 1992. By Sky.
  • Options
    Some people are incredibly precious about Wimbledon. Please tell me you are equally enraged about every other injustice in the world.
    Incidentally, I think AFC will boycott the game, mainly because they're awful and are likely to get stuffed.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

DanDavis said:

buckshee said:

That's right. Football was only invented in 1992. By Sky.
    No. A different Brand of football was started by Sky. Still the same game just jazzed with bell and whistles and pots of money. We were not part of that when we in the top flight at Selhurst - Wimbledon was.
  • Options

cafctom said:

What makes a Football club so special is the community and the local people that it represents. Once you take it about 80 miles away from that and change the name, there's no way it is still the same club.

But the Wimbledon fans never supported the club in any numbers either at Selhurst or Plough lane.
    The Charlton fans didn't support our club in any numbers at Selhurst either... But we kept going ... I fail to understand why they didn't simply build up a non league club in Milton Keynes...simpler, cheaper (?) & more honest

• Options

cafctom said:

What makes a Football club so special is the community and the local people that it represents. Once you take it about 80 miles away from that and change the name, there's no way it is still the same club.

But the Wimbledon fans never supported the club in any numbers either at Selhurst or Plough lane.
    The Charlton fans didn't support our club in any numbers at Selhurst either... But we kept going ... I fail to understand why they didn't simply build up a non league club in Milton Keynes...simpler, cheaper (?) & more honest

Probably because Wankleman thought by now they'd be established in the prem. What a shame it hasn't worked out for him :)
  • Options
    Sorry if I missed it, but, wasn't there actually a "Milton Keynes FC" who were "forced to fold" after the formation of the Franchise Dons ?
  • Options
    There was a Milton Keynes fc but i think they folded well before franchise were formed.
  • Options
    According to Wiki the orginal team Milton Keynes city folded in 1983 another club was formed but that folded a few months before franchise moved north.
  • Options
    Replay about to start Live on ESPN. Mambo starting for Wombles so worth a watch