Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury....

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015

People moaning about Kanye headlining but Franz fucking Ferdinand are headlining the John Peel stage tonight, jesus christ, that is an actual musical abomination.

whatever you think of kanye as a person, he's an incredibly talented man.
    Yeah his talent of being able to flog shite music is very admirable.
    He's probably the best hip hop producer working today, and that's before we get into his rapping and singing. Whatever your opinion on the genre of music. He's an arrogant prick.
    fixed
    a lot of incredibly talented and successful people are.
    Lionel Richie isn't
  • Options

People moaning about Kanye headlining but Franz fucking Ferdinand are headlining the John Peel stage tonight, jesus christ, that is an actual musical abomination.

whatever you think of kanye as a person, he's an incredibly talented man.
    Thought he was amazing. Absolutely smashed it. Best Glasto performance in years. Was lucky enough to see him live around 10 years ago in Brixton and he just gets better and better.
    Agree - I'm not a huge Kanye fan but thought it was a good performance.
  • Options

Does it end tonight? Bloke at work went on Wednesday and isn't leaving until Tuesday?

Yes, Friday-Sunday. But I presume you're joking.
    No, I'm serious CE. I can only assume it's because it wouldn't be a good idea for 200,000 people to all leave at the same time (i.e. Monday morning).

He's on the blag, I've been here 2 weeks and am camped at the furthest back of the festival it is possible.. But will be leaving in the morning without a doubt
  • Options
    Jamie T proper smart on BBC3 . Looking forward to the Chemical Brother later.
  • Options
    Jamie T brilliant, mic lowry were decent, godd you tube stuff
  • Options

Jamie T was absolute class.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I watched the Kayne West slot on BBC catch up, and while all very good and all that, and even a bit musical, I didn't really get it at all.
    I know poets and mathematicians have done their best work by the time they're 21, and if rap is an extension of poetry then I would place Kayne West as on a par with Pam Ayres, and musically on a par with possibly Ultravox.
    The thing about a lot of rap is that yes, I know that people are oppressed, and I would also stand alongside them at the barricades, but do I really want Kayne West shoving his world view down my throat for a couple of hours, I mean who is he and what has he done to make all the declarations?
    If the younger generation like that kind of thing, where rap artists lecture them to the rhythm of hitting themselves over the head with a tin tray then fair enough, but I prefer actual musicians making music like Snarky Puppy.

lol. What right does any musician have to say or do anything to do with their personal opinions on things? A lot of people agree with him, which is why a lot of people listen to his music and go see him in concert
    Well yes, and my link with poetry is valid because there you also have young people with opinions. However if the people already agree with him it seems like they go to see him for the production values rather than to be in any way challenged or intrigued by fresh personal opinions.
    So cutting out the production values of a live performance his lyrics/poetry/rap like this:

We ain’t even supposed to be here,
    Ball so hard, since we here
    It’s only right that we be fair
    Psycho, I’m liable to go Michael
    Take your pick, Jackson, Tyson, Jordan, Game 6
    Ball so hard, got a broke clock, Rolleys that don’t tick tock
    Audemars that’s losing time, hidden behind all these big rocks
    Ball so hard, I’m shocked too,
    I’m supposed to be locked up too
    you escaped what I’ve escaped
    You’d be in Paris getting f*cked up too
    Ball so hard, let’s get faded, Le Meurice for like 6 days
    Gold bottles, scold models, spillin’ Ace on my sick J’s
    So ball so hard, bitch behave, just might let you meet Ye,
    Chi towns D. Rose, I’m movin’ the Nets to BK

Is OK, but pretty boring, and seems a self indulgent description of experience with very little opinion. Not a patch (in my opinion) on Philip Larkin for example.
    As for the music, well the pace and tempo seems to be pretty much the same for each song, melody such as it may be is easily forgettable, but pleasure in melody is about personal taste I get that. Musicianship live seems, well it seems non existent like it is all pre recorded, and there is little or no example of instrumental virtuosity which is the kind of thing that appeals to me. If one engages with music for an aesthetic experience then this does not do it for me, it feels like some bloke hectoring me for hours on end.

I get Kanye West is very popular, but then again so is McDonalds, or Jeremy Kyle, or Primark, or Manchester United and I suppose being a vegetarian Charlton fan, who would prefer to watch Samuel Beckett, Kanye West as mainstream taste passes me by.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I watched the Kayne West slot on BBC catch up, and while all very good and all that, and even a bit musical, I didn't really get it at all.
    I know poets and mathematicians have done their best work by the time they're 21, and if rap is an extension of poetry then I would place Kayne West as on a par with Pam Ayres, and musically on a par with possibly Ultravox.
    The thing about a lot of rap is that yes, I know that people are oppressed, and I would also stand alongside them at the barricades, but do I really want Kayne West shoving his world view down my throat for a couple of hours, I mean who is he and what has he done to make all the declarations?
    If the younger generation like that kind of thing, where rap artists lecture them to the rhythm of hitting themselves over the head with a tin tray then fair enough, but I prefer actual musicians making music like Snarky Puppy.

lol. What right does any musician have to say or do anything to do with their personal opinions on things? A lot of people agree with him, which is why a lot of people listen to his music and go see him in concert
    Well yes, and my link with poetry is valid because there you also have young people with opinions. However if the people already agree with him it seems like they go to see him for the production values rather than to be in any way challenged or intrigued by fresh personal opinions.
    So cutting out the production values of a live performance his lyrics/poetry/rap like this:

We ain’t even supposed to be here,
    Ball so hard, since we here
    It’s only right that we be fair
    Psycho, I’m liable to go Michael
    Take your pick, Jackson, Tyson, Jordan, Game 6
    Ball so hard, got a broke clock, Rolleys that don’t tick tock
    Audemars that’s losing time, hidden behind all these big rocks
    Ball so hard, I’m shocked too,
    I’m supposed to be locked up too
    you escaped what I’ve escaped
    You’d be in Paris getting f*cked up too
    Ball so hard, let’s get faded, Le Meurice for like 6 days
    Gold bottles, scold models, spillin’ Ace on my sick J’s
    So ball so hard, bitch behave, just might let you meet Ye,
    Chi towns D. Rose, I’m movin’ the Nets to BK

Is OK, but pretty boring, and seems a self indulgent description of experience with very little opinion. Not a patch (in my opinion) on Philip Larkin for example.
    As for the music, well the pace and tempo seems to be pretty much the same for each song, melody such as it may be is easily forgettable, but pleasure in melody is about personal taste I get that. Musicianship live seems, well it seems non existent like it is all pre recorded, and there is little or no example of instrumental virtuosity which is the kind of thing that appeals to me. If one engages with music for an aesthetic experience then this does not do it for me, it feels like some bloke hectoring me for hours on end.

I get Kanye West is very popular, but then again so is McDonalds, or Jeremy Kyle, or Primark, or Manchester United and I suppose being a vegetarian Charlton fan, who would prefer to watch Samuel Beckett, Kanye West as mainstream taste passes me by.
    When it comes to poetry he's no Kate Tempest or even Scroobius Pip for that matter.
  • Options
    The Chems are, as usual, smashing it!
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Does it end tonight? Bloke at work went on Wednesday and isn't leaving until Tuesday?

No, I'm serious CE. I can only assume it's because it wouldn't be a good idea for 200,000 people to all leave at the same time (i.e. Monday morning).

He's on the blag, I've been here 2 weeks and am camped at the furthest back of the festival it is possible.. But will be leaving in the morning without a doubt
    That's what you think :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    On catch up and just finished Jamie T, just fcking wow, killed it.
    Too add though, I've got to admit it I'd never heard of him, is that pretty sad?
    Just bought his album though, quality music, singer and performer.
  • Options

On catch up and just finished Jamie T, just fcking wow, killed it.
    Too add though, I've got to admit it I'd never heard of him, is that pretty sad?
    Just bought his album though, quality music, singer and performer.

Latest album is good but I'd also give Panic Prevention a listen. Always good value live.
  • Options
    Ryan Adams streaming now from Park Stage. Best act of the weekend. Genius
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Crowd look so into this performance...

Spoke too soon! My generation woke them up.
  • Options
    Now this is more like it!
    Proper Glastonbury!
  • Options

shine166 said:

That's what you think :smile:

Nah, been in the same place for a few years, matey will just be curled up in a ball somewhere recovering ;)
  • Options
    Chemical Brothers are so good
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Jamie T proper smart on BBC3 . Looking forward to the Chemical Brother later.

Just the one of them...bloody austerity is getting everywhere!!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Roger Daltrey just showed Kanye Twatface what it means to actually be the biggest rockstar on the planet!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Playing 'won't get fooled again' kind of says it all about enduring class.
    I am not sure if 'N's in Paris' will have the same resonance and impact in 44 years time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015

What i dont understand is that Kanye West is probably great for 10 per cent of Glasto crowd, ok for another 20 per cent but the other 70 per cent think he's shite - therefore, why do they book him ? - why not book a band that is liked by 70 per cent of the clientele? someone like The Stones, or even Sam Smith? or Adele (i know she doesnt like doing gigs) or even U2 or even go the whole way and see if maybe you could get Dave Gilmour to make an appearance with his band? - you see where i'm going? i really dont 'get' this necessity to get acts playing who are not wanted by the majority? Personally, it would just turn me off wanting to go in future.

Stones and U2 have headlined in the past 4 years, Adele has been rumoured for ages but no new music and doesn't like big crowds apparently and Sam Smith is probably not big enough and has a big enough discography to headline yet (in my opinion anyway).

The festival has to take risks nowadays in order to guarantee that people will buy tickets before the lineup has even been announced. I know there is a ton of other stuff going on that makes the festival great but the allure and probably the main reason why tickets go like hot cakes is because of the allure of who is going to be headlining the most iconic festival in the world. Kanye is a massive mainstream popular artists who continues the idea that the festival tries to cater for everyone and most genres, but always polarises and it was almost unimaginable he'd headline Glastonbury given his personality, in the same way many people didn't think a metal band would headline the festival until Metallica were announced.

If the festival keeps booking old names that have played quite recently, I think less people would buy tickets. Look at Reading, Sonisphere and Download to an extent, they've backed themselves into a corner, predictable with headliners, don't sell out as a result.

I'm personally surprised no one got Kendrick Lamar to headline. Released the best album of the past 5-10 years(at least in hip-hop), pushing musical and lyrical boundaries with his subject matter and has a ton of buzz behind him yet he's subbing to Libertines and bloody Avicii.
  • Options
    Just never got the Who. Compared to the Rolling Stones they have always been such a non entity as an R & B band and they proved it again tonight.
  • Options
  • Options
    I was so bored watching Galstonbury this year I started searching for youtube clips of my favorite bits from previous years and this has got to be one of my all time favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnWRjoP9mQ&feature=player_detailpage

• Options

Roger Daltrey just showed Kanye Twatface what it means to actually be the biggest rockstar on the planet!

He basically doesn't have a voice anymore and there is no way he is anywhere near. Miles behind Jagger etc if including older bands
  • Options

I was so bored watching Galstonbury this year I started searching for youtube clips of my favorite bits from previous years and this has got to be one of my all time favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnWRjoP9mQ&feature=player_detailpage

Well at least that explains your Who comments.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    seth plum said:

I am not sure if 'N's in Paris' will have the same resonance and impact in 44 years time.

Jesus Walks is considered one of the best raps ever and is in pretty much every best song of the decade etc list. It's just not going to be played on Absolute or whatever to keep it in the mainstream
  • Options

He basically doesn't have a voice anymore and there is no way he is anywhere near. Miles behind Jagger etc if including older bands
    I've never been a fan of the Stones and don't like Jaggers voice so on that basis I would disagree but each to their own
  • Options

seth plum said:

Jesus Walks is considered one of the best raps ever and is in pretty much every best song of the decade etc list. It's just not going to be played on Absolute or whatever to keep it in the mainstream
    I've just read the lyrics to Jesus Walks. Pretty much banging on about the police (again), poor people on welfare (again) and himself (again). Throw in a few 'niggas' and he's all set.