Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury....

Comments

• Options

Jesus Walks is considered one of the best raps ever and is in pretty much every best song of the decade etc list. It's just not going to be played on Absolute or whatever to keep it in the mainstream

Must have missed every one of those best song lists it was on
  • Options
    seth plum said:

<

Is OK, but pretty boring, and seems a self indulgent description of experience with very little opinion. Not a patch (in my opinion) on Philip Larkin for example.
    As for the music, well the pace and tempo seems to be pretty much the same for each song, melody such as it may be is easily forgettable, but pleasure in melody is about personal taste I get that. Musicianship live seems, well it seems non existent like it is all pre recorded, and there is little or no example of instrumental virtuosity which is the kind of thing that appeals to me. If one engages with music for an aesthetic experience then this does not do it for me, it feels like some bloke hectoring me for hours on end.

I get Kanye West is very popular, but then again so is McDonalds, or Jeremy Kyle, or Primark, or Manchester United and I suppose being a vegetarian Charlton fan, who would prefer to watch Samuel Beckett, Kanye West as mainstream taste passes me by.

Good old Larkin. Another poet who liked to use the word "nigger" a lot, but generally in private and without a hit or irony. Also like Larkin, he has his good moments and bad moments. Nobody could really claim that Larkin's tribute to the Queen for the Silver Jubilee has much artistic merit:

“After Healey’s trading figures,
    After Wilson’s squalid crew,
    And the rising tide of niggers –
    What a treat to look at you!”

Kanye, like Larkin, is a genius, critically & academically acclaimed as well as popular (unlike McDonalds, Kyle or Primark). Also like Larkin he is in insufferable egoist and all-round dickhead.

It's fine that you don't like him, lots of people don't. But it's ridiculous to compare him to lowest common denominator populist brands. His work has never been formulaic or aimed at populism. Nobody aiming for a mass market would release an album like Yeezus.

Incidentally, I thought his performance at Glastonbury was absolutely awful.

• Options
    Jints said:

seth plum said:

<

Is OK, but pretty boring, and seems a self indulgent description of experience with very little opinion. Not a patch (in my opinion) on Philip Larkin for example.
    As for the music, well the pace and tempo seems to be pretty much the same for each song, melody such as it may be is easily forgettable, but pleasure in melody is about personal taste I get that. Musicianship live seems, well it seems non existent like it is all pre recorded, and there is little or no example of instrumental virtuosity which is the kind of thing that appeals to me. If one engages with music for an aesthetic experience then this does not do it for me, it feels like some bloke hectoring me for hours on end.

I get Kanye West is very popular, but then again so is McDonalds, or Jeremy Kyle, or Primark, or Manchester United and I suppose being a vegetarian Charlton fan, who would prefer to watch Samuel Beckett, Kanye West as mainstream taste passes me by.

Good old Larkin. Another poet who liked to use the word "nigger" a lot, but generally in private and without a hit or irony. Also like Larkin, he has his good moments and bad moments. Nobody could really claim that Larkin's tribute to the Queen for the Silver Jubilee has much artistic merit:

Kanye, like Larkin, is a genius, critically & academically acclaimed as well as popular (unlike McDonalds, Kyle or Primark). Also like Larkin he is in insufferable egoist and all-round dickhead.

It's fine that you don't like him, lots of people don't. But it's ridiculous to compare him to lowest common denominator populist brands. His work has never been formulaic or aimed at populism. Nobody aiming for a mass market would release an album like Yeezus.

You win this thread, sir.
  • Options

Roger Daltrey just showed Kanye Twatface what it means to actually be the biggest rockstar on the planet!

He really struggled at times vocally and lacked energy but then, at 71, he's probably entitled to.

Give me a certain 65 year old from New Jersey for the title "biggest rockstar on the planet" any day of the week.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

seth plum said:

Playing 'won't get fooled again' kind of says it all about enduring class.
    I am not sure if 'N's in Paris' will have the same resonance and impact in 44 years time.

Jesus Walks is considered one of the best raps ever and is in pretty much every best song of the decade etc list. It's just not going to be played on Absolute or whatever to keep it in the mainstream
    I've just read the lyrics to Jesus Walks. Pretty much banging on about the police (again), poor people on welfare (again) and himself (again). Throw in a few 'niggas' and he's all set.
    Well then you missed the actual main part of the song about how religion can't be used in songs and how he can't talk about god and get radio time.

"So here go my single dog radio needs this
    They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
    That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
    But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?"

It's a ridiculous complaint to have a go at him for actually using lyrics about welfare and the police if that's an issue for him growing up as well. Jesus Walks was one of his first so he has copied it since from there if anything.
  • Options

I'm on my phone and it was a bastard to copy and paste the lyrics in my last post but check the accolades section of the song on Wiki there are a fair few lists mentioned. Before someone says something about wiki it's not going to be wrong in this regard.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I am not sure if 'N's in Paris' will have the same resonance and impact in 44 years time.

I've just read the lyrics to Jesus Walks. Pretty much banging on about the police (again), poor people on welfare (again) and himself (again). Throw in a few 'niggas' and he's all set.
    Well then you missed the actual main part of the song about how religion can't be used in songs and how he can't talk about god and get radio time.

It's a ridiculous complaint to have a go at him for actually using lyrics about welfare and the police if that's an issue for him growing up as well. Jesus Walks was one of his first so he has copied it since from there if anything.
    He had a middle class upbringing, his mother being a professor of English, so not that ridiculous a complaint.
  • Options

seth plum said:

He had a middle class upbringing, his mother being a professor of English, so not that ridiculous a complaint.
    Although that doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't suffered from discrimination or that he shouldn't at least highlight it on behalf of others.
  • Options
    Jints said:

seth plum said:

<

His parents Fred and Rose would have been very proud though.
  • Options

Well that goes back to the Russell Brand debates before the election but you can still be from a better upbringing and be against how other friends/family/ancestors/society suffer from prejudices/inequality. With rising inequality in the US and recent incidents with the police over there it is reasonable that he would still be rapping about it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015

FYI:

Success and legacy
    "Jesus Walks" appeared on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at No. 74 on the issue dated February 21.[24] After sixth months, the track peaked at No. 2 for the issue dated August 14 and maintained the position for two weeks. "Jesus Walks" first came in at No. 25 on Hot Rap Tracks for the issue dated April 17.[27] On the issue date of August 7, the song peaked at No. 3.[28]

Despite all prior disapproval, "Jesus Walks" came to be one of West's biggest hits. The single was the highest debut on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week of its first appearance, entering the chart at No. 68 on April 29, 2004.[29] Over the next eight weeks, the song climbed up the chart until it eventually reached a peak of sixteen for the issue dated July 3, where it remained for four weeks.[30] On the issue dated July 24, the song climbed up two places to reach the fourteenth position.[31] "Jesus Walks" reached its overall peak at No. 11 on the issue date of July 31, where it stayed for two weeks in a row.[32] "Jesus Walks" has since sold over half a million copies in the United States alone, earning a Gold certification by the Recording Industry Association of America.[33]

"Jesus Walks" attained a certain extent of international success as well. In Ireland, the song peaked at No. 18 on of September 2, 2004, where it remained for two weeks.[34] The song's highest debut occurred in the United Kingdom, where it entered at its peak position of sixteen on September 5, becoming West's third top-twenty hit.[35] On March 14, 2005, the song debuted in the Australian Singles Chart at No. 37.[36]

Awards[edit]
    "Jesus Walks" was praised as one of the best songs of the year by numerous publications, including Blender, Rolling Stone, and Village Voice.[37][38] The song received a nomination for Outstanding Song as well as Outstanding Music Video at the 36th NAACP Image Awards.[39] At the Grammy Awards of 2005, "Jesus Walks" was nominated for Song of the Year, one of ten total nominations West received for that year alone.[40] West, Rhymefest and Miri Ben-Ari won the Grammy Award for Best Rap Song for co-writing the song's lyrics and violin arrangements respectively.[7][41] West received a nomination for Best Gospel Artist for "Jesus Walks" at the 2005 BET Awards, although he was not an actual gospel musician.[42] Rolling Stone placed Jesus Walks as the 19th best song of the 2000s.[43]

As a result of the significance and impact of "Jesus Walks", in August, The College Dropout was nominated for several gospel Stellar Awards, including Best Gospel Rap Album.[44] However, the awards committees determined that the secular album was ineligible and subsequently withdrew the ballot.[45] West surmised that the fact that they recognized the song in the first place demonstrated its impact, and said the song and its message was not meant for the evangelical audience, but for "... the people that I think God is really trying to reach."[6] He also clarified that he does not view himself as a religious person, saying, "Religion just means that you do something over and over. I will say that I'm spiritual. I have accepted Jesus as my Savior. And I will say that I fall short every day."[46] Kanye later claimed that when his father heard the song, he said, "Maybe you missed your calling." To which West replied, "No, maybe this is my calling. I reach more people than any one pastor can."[47] In retrospect, West maintained that while he was surprised by the accolades the song received, he had long predicted the radio success of "Jesus Walks". For him, it was all just a matter of attaining airplay, saying, "It was never a problem once it came out. All I did was use reverse psychology. It was a way of calling out people who didn't want to play it without pointing fingers at anybody."[5]

Impact[edit]
    "Jesus Walks" has been credited with helping to abate the antagonistic gap that once separated mainstream rap music and the religious church.[48] Since then, countless ministries began to embrace hip hop and incorporate the musical genre into their gospel services.[47] In her biographical book, Kanye's mother Donda West recalled an instance where over three hundred adolescents gave their lives to Christ the night her son performed the song at a youth revival center.[49] Darryl McDaniels of the groundbreaking hip hop group Run-DMC told Time magazine that he had grown indifferent towards contemporary rap music and ceased listening to it until he heard "Jesus Walks".[50]

Accolades[edit]
    The song was ranked No. 273 Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", Rolling Stone also named the song No. 19 on their list of 100 Best Songs of the 2000s. In October 2011, NME placed it at No. 69 on its list "150 Best Tracks of the Past 15 Years". The song was named the 6th best song of 2004 on Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics poll.
  • Options

Roger Daltrey just showed Kanye Twatface what it means to actually be the biggest rockstar on the planet!

He really struggled at times vocally and lacked energy but then, at 71, he's probably entitled to.

Give me a certain 65 year old from New Jersey for the title "biggest rockstar on the planet" any day of the week.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Jints said:

seth plum said:

<

Jints great answer and I am enjoying this discussion.
    I wish I hadn't specified Larkin (though I am an admirer) but mentioning someone like Keats or even Shakespeare would be incredibly pretentious.
    If Kanye Is critically and academically acclaimed then at the very least that opens the door to analysis of his work which is what I have (pretty clumsily) been doing above, and I need to check out the critical and academic responses in order to try to understand his merit.
    I don't apologise for connecting him to populism because a justification used about him by others above is exactly that, he is good because he draws the crowds. I am not familiar with his albums, possibly because as you say it is about personal preference and what catches your ear and draws you in. On a visceral level he does nothing for me, and I put that down to a generational thing as much as an intellectual thing.
    I would like to enjoy such music more but my internal filters prevent that, however when it comes to not being populist or formulaic I do think 'hmmm, really?'. What I saw on the telly from Glastonbury did seem formulaic, full of spectacle and production values, was pretty self regarding, and yes populist. That same criticism can be hurled at other artists admittedly, but as the 'grand fromage' of day two I was expecting a lot more from Kayne West and for me he failed to deliver very much at all.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Jints said:

seth plum said:

<

Jints great answer and I am enjoying this discussion.
    I wish I hadn't specified Larkin (though I am an admirer) but mentioning someone like Keats or even Shakespeare would be incredibly pretentious.
    If Kanye Is critically and academically acclaimed then at the very least that opens the door to analysis of his work which is what I have (pretty clumsily) been doing above, and I need to check out the critical and academic responses in order to try to understand his merit.
    I don't apologise for connecting him to populism because a justification used about him by others above is exactly that, he is good because he draws the crowds. I am not familiar with his albums, possibly because as you say it is about personal preference and what catches your ear and draws you in. On a visceral level he does nothing for me, and I put that down to a generational thing as much as an intellectual thing.
    I would like to enjoy such music more but my internal filters prevent that, however when it comes to not being populist or formulaic I do think 'hmmm, really?'. What I saw on the telly from Glastonbury did seem formulaic, full of spectacle and production values, was pretty self regarding, and yes populist. That same criticism can be hurled at other artists admittedly, but as the 'grand fromage' of day two I was expecting a lot more from Kayne West and for me he failed to deliver very much at all.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy#Critical_reception

Look at the critical reception and accolades. Shows how he's at the top of the game in terms of innovative and successful music.
  • Options
    Can someone explain the whole flag thing at Glastonbury? It certainly looks impressive, but why would anyone want to carry a huge flag round with them all day. How do you go and get beers/dance/whatever else you do. Must be a right pain
  • Options

Can someone explain the whole flag thing at Glastonbury? It certainly looks impressive, but why would anyone want to carry a huge flag round with them all day. How do you go and get beers/dance/whatever else you do. Must be a right pain

you leave it where you are standing/sitting then you know where your friends are when you go off for a pee.
  • Options

you leave it where you are standing/sitting then you know where your friends are when you go off for a pee.
    Ahhh ok that makes sense
  • Options

Go off for a pee? What's the matter with a good old SheWee?

• Options

That's if they bother to leave where they are to have a pee!! :wink:
  • Options

The fact there's still a John peel stage should offend you more

Glad it's not just me who thinks that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seth,

I think that the justification for elevating a performer in any form of art is whether he is able to permanently change that art. It would be ridiculous to compare Kanye to Shakespeare or Mozart because their impact was so deep, wide-ranging and long-lasting that they are amongst the most significant artists in the history of the world. That Kayne puts himself amongst them invites justified ridicule but should not blind us to the very significant impact he has had in the relative short-term on a single genre of music. To pick an obvious example, by not rapping about drugs and gangsters, he has opened up hip hop to artists with non-ghetto backgrounds like Lupe Fiasco and Kendrick Lamar (whose lyrical invention is really quite extraordinary, even you might be impressed!).

Now the fact is that you don't much like that genre (again there's no reason why you should), so you won't be aware of the impact of Kanye's innovations. I don't know much about jazz (though I like a lot of it) so I'm unable to appreciate the innovations of Miles Davies or Duke Ellington because of a lack of understanding of the context.

As for populism, I honestly think he isn't. After his first three albums - all boisterous and laden with funk and disco samples which sold massively, he could easily have followed the same formula (as his record company no doubt pleased with him to). But his fourth ("808s and Heartbreaks") was entirely different with lyrics laden with self-loathing and depression.

• Options

I couldn't watch one of the bands Who where playing, IMO its wrong that people turn a deaf ear to someone just because they play a bit of guitar.
  • Options
    I have read the link above about and admit to being impressed by the impact of Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and my viewpoint being mainly influenced by Kayne Wests Glastonbury exposure is limited.
    Jints I also get your reference to Jazz where Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Charlie Mingus redefined a musical genre in the Fifties, interestingly their work hardly used any vocals.
  • Options
    Nice to see someone refine their views in the course of a discussion.
  • Options

seems we are very much a minority though, youd have thought the beeb would have had that changed in the light of recent news

• Options
    Greenie said:

I couldn't watch one of the bands Who where playing, IMO its wrong that people turn a deaf ear to someone just because they play a bit of guitar.
    Had to look this up as wasn't aware of this about John Peel.
    Suprised Paedo Pete didnt ask for that stage.
  • Options

seems we are very much a minority though, youd have thought the beeb would have had that changed in the light of recent news

Don't the BBC have an entire wing of their building named after him?
  • Options
    WSS said:

Don't the BBC have an entire wing of their building named after him?

not surprising really , but seeing as he admitted it i spose it aint a big deal to them

• Options

I was more artistically impressed by Paloma Faith's trousers which, while obviously making a cutting satirical fashion statement on 21st century sex-ploitation, also flapped open in the gentle Somerset breeze in a most alluring way....

www.oldperveswatchGlasters.com