Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Huddersfield - Post match views

12346»

Comments

• Options
    I felt sending off was harsh given the conditions but you could see why the decision was given. I thought Huddersfield looked a tidy side who attacked with a bit of purpose and was relieved when we had the extra man. They looked a decent away side. We looked like we were going to score before we did then played it carefully - which worked apart form a 2 minute spell that led to the penalty. Can't be too critical as I understand why we played that way, but probably cost us in the end.

Can't complain about the penalty either. I think Cort was guilty of a high foot in the area in the first half and any half decent player is taught that if you see a high boot from a defender in the area, put your head on it. No intent from Solly, he was following the ball as it bounced but he and the team need to lean from that. Keep your feet down! A win tomorrow, and we are well on track.

Some of our fans annoyed me slightly, urging the ball to be played forwards , when simple passes are what you do when you are playing against 10 - even if they are not taking you anywhere - keep your opponents chasing! I wish some of ours knew a bit more about football sometimes.
  • Options

At this rate if we keep playing against 10 men we could make the play-off places by Christmas...
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Agree with Muttley. Overall performance in possession was much better than Burnley, when we failed to string more than about three passes together. What we need to work on, though, is the change of pace when we do decide to take it forward after a few mins of playing it about at the back - invariably on Sat it still ended with a hoof, turning 100% possession into a 50/50. I think that was where the crowd frustration came from - if we are going to play "keep ball", then it should at least result in a decent attack after a few mins of frustrating the opposition.

At Burnley after we scored, I always felt confident we would hold on for three points - the resilience and steeliness of last season was present. On Sat, though, that was not the case - there was a nerviness among players and crowd. It was during that spell that we really needed the crowd to urge them on, and I was a bit disappointed that this barely happened. Think VFR only got about one airing on Sat?

• Options

...... there was a nerviness among players and crowd. It was during that spell that we really needed the crowd to urge them on, and I was a bit disappointed that this barely happened.

Good point, Weegie.

I guess supporters are not always aware how their own anxiety and nervousness transmits to the players.
  • Options
    They are definitely not - but you only have to think - If I play this sideways or backwards pass I am going to be met with a collective groan- you might try to play a forward ball, but these are not always the best options - expecially when they are hopeful. Against Cardiff the crowd decided to sing whatever was happening on the pitch and we need that approach on Tuesday too.
  • Options
    Well said, Muttley.
  • Options
    I thought the draw was a fair result. If Solly hadn't got to a cross in the last minute in front of their striker, we would have lost. Why did we have Hulse and Kermorgant on at the same time ? They both went for at least one good chance together, which Hulse should have buried. BWP has gone from hero to keeping the bench warm. Surely Bradley and Yann should have finished the game up front.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

...... there was a nerviness among players and crowd. It was during that spell that we really needed the crowd to urge them on, and I was a bit disappointed that this barely happened.

Good point, Weegie.

I guess supporters are not always aware how their own anxiety and nervousness transmits to the players.
    In fairness, the players did not look particularly convincing so the crowd was nervous that something could go wrong... so the players were made more nervous... so the crowd yadda yadda yadda... repeat on loop.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I thought the draw was a fair result. If Solly hadn't got to a cross in the last minute in front of their striker, we would have lost. Why did we have Hulse and Kermorgant on at the same time ? They both went for at least one good chance together, which Hulse should have buried. BWP has gone from hero to keeping the bench warm. Surely Bradley and Yann should have finished the game up front.

Absolutely agree with this. It is not that Hulse, Yann, and Fuller aren't all good players - they are - but they are all very similar and lack pace.

They can all hold a ball up, but what is the good of that is no-one is making a run with pace? We need Haynes back asap.
  • Options

Bilko said:

Today was the day Stephens should have took the game by the scruff of the neck, he had lots of space in front of him playing against 10 men.

Completely agree. He's supposed to be the Premiership bound playmaker but he's not showing much of it at the moment!

People have such short memories - Stephens was many people's MOTM against Cardiff and Bristol!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought he did ok
  • Options
    So did I-there seems to be a bit if Stephens vendetta building up on here. Probably for another thread though.......