Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A message to all those that like to boo at Charlton.

Anyone that has played (or watched) much football will know that the way to beat ten men (assuming you have eleven) is to retain possession of the ball. This becomes even more important when you are defending a lead - especially a one goal lead.

I was, frankly, horrified at the fans at The Valley that booed the team today when they were passing the ball around the back and keeping possession. The end result was that it made the players nervous and, more significantly, it made them play long balls up the pitch to appease those imbeciles that assume that we should be beating a ten man Huddersfield by several goals.

We should remember that we only beat ten man Burnley by one goal and we even lost to ten man Watford. If the payers had been greeted with cheers for successive passes across our back line I suspect that they would have, eventually, found a way to pass though the ten man team and would have added to the score.

In the end the stupidity of some of our fans caused us to punt the ball up and see it coming back again and again. This led to the panic at the back that, I believe, led to the equaliser.

So to all the boomers their today, if you really want to see your team attack, attach, attack and win by several goals every week can I suggest you go watch Man Utd?

End of rant!

Comments

• Options
    Same view as mine posted on the Post Match Thread
  • Options
    I agree. If they don't come and get the ball, it's their fault if they don't score.
  • Options
    Well said. I completely agree
  • Options

Anyone that has played (or watched) much football will know that the way to beat ten men (assuming you have eleven) is to retain possession of the ball. This becomes even more important when you are defending a lead - especially a one goal lead.

I was, frankly, horrified at the fans at The Valley that booed the team today when they were passing the ball around the back and keeping possession. The end result was that it made the players nervous and, more significantly, it made them play long balls up the pitch to appease those imbeciles that assume that we should be beating a ten man Huddersfield by several goals.

We should remember that we only beat ten man Burnley by one goal and we even lost to ten man Watford. If the payers had been greeted with cheers for successive passes across our back line I suspect that they would have, eventually, found a way to pass though the ten man team and would have added to the score.

In the end the stupidity of some of our fans caused us to punt the ball up and see it coming back again and again. This led to the panic at the back that, I believe, led to the equaliser.

So to all the boomers their today, if you really want to see your team attack, attach, attack and win by several goals every week can I suggest you go watch Man Utd?

End of rant!

Agreed. I was hearing unbelievable comments today...... Bit my tongue a few times, If you argue with stupid, people wont be able to tell the difference between you.
  • Options
    Sorry, i really don't think some of our fans booing makes the players nervous, panic and punt the ball up.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Sitting back and defending a 1-0 lead at home against ten men, for 60 minutes! I am sorry that is negative football in my opinion and two points lost.

Best form of defence is attack.
  • Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

Sitting back and defending a 1-0 lead at home against ten men, I am sorry that is negative football in my opinion and two points lost.

However, if we'd successfully defended the 1-0 we would have won. This is, in actual fact, exactly how we won the title last season. We clawed out a 1-0 lead and hung on for the win.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I didn't hear any booing. I heard frustration from the fans but no booing.

But I also agree. I was sat there saying that's fine, keep the ball, make udders work for it. When others were shouting 'get it up there'

We're 1 up and keeping the ball and pulling udders players out of position and everyone wants us to get it forward as quick as poss
  • Options

Gazcafc81 said:

Sitting back and defending a 1-0 lead at home against ten men, I am sorry that is negative football in my opinion and two points lost.

However, if we'd successfully defended the 1-0 we would have won. This is, in actual fact, exactly how we won the title last season. We clawed out a 1-0 lead and hung on for the win.
    Can't play like that in this league I am afraid.
  • Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

Sitting back and defending a 1-0 lead at home against ten men, for 60 minutes! I am sorry that is negative football in my opinion and two points lost.

You have an opinion but I'm sorry it's so wrong.

Learn about football in 2012.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Gazcafc81 said:

Best form of defence is considered, patient attack. Which is what we were playing. Patience is not negativity. It's almost as ridiculous as the claim that 4-5-1 is a negative tactic.
  • Options

Gazcafc81 said:

This is 2012 not 1980s Arsenal, we don't have the players to play defensive football.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Keep ball is not defensive.
  • Options

Keep ball is not defending.

Sitting behind the ball isn't considered attack minded football, so if it's not defending/being cautious then what is it?
  • Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

totally agree with Gaz..................how comes plenty of other teams put 3,4 or 5 past 10-man teams - or do they have it wrong and instead should spend an entire 2nd half passing the ball around the centre circle.

pah !!!!!!

• Options
    have to say, i didn't really like the getting on their backs for that or the jimmy saville chants
  • Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

Sitting behind the ball isn't considered attack minded football, so if it's not defending/being cautious then what is it?
    Sitting behind the ball is what Huddersfield were doing with their two banks of four and trying to get the ball forward too quickly can play into the opposition's hands in such situations.
  • Options

Gazcafc81 said:

Sitting behind the ball is what Huddersfield were doing with their two banks of four and trying to get the ball forward too quickly can play into the opposition's hands in such situations.
    I remember creating very few chances after our goal and frimpong going off, until Huddersfield scored which by then was too late.
  • Options

Gazcafc81 said:

My take on this is that we simply do not have ball playing centre half pairings apart from Dervite perhaps... Cort and to a lesser extent Morrison put the frighteners on me when someone runs at them, the panic is unbearing to watch... That's why we should not dally at the back and wasting time...
  • Options
    cafcvfr said:

have to say, i didn't really like the getting on their backs for that or the jimmy saville chants

I heard something about Saville but couldn't make it out. Probably for the best.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I didn't boo and I don't want Powell out I just feel at times he makes tactical decisions that have a very negative (defensive minded) affect on us.
    I love Powell, great man manager just needs to work on his decisions at times, which will come over time i guess.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    We created very few chances through the whole game (for which Huddersfield must be credited, working hard to negate the one man advantage), there wasn't a sudden change of tactic and it wasn't as if the goalscoring opportunities dried up.

For instance, Fuller spurned a great opportunity at 1-0 up.
  • Options
    Morrisons okay, but Cort might as well not have any feet

Keeping the ball, progressively applying pressure isnt defensive football.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

We created very few chances through the whole game (for which Huddersfield must be credited, working hard to negate the one man advantage), there wasn't a sudden change of tactic and it wasn't as if the goalscoring opportunities dried up.

For instance, Fuller spurned a great opportunity at 1-0 up.

Not tactical change today but felt as though he told the players to calm down and sit back.
    He brought on two centre halfs at Burnley making it a total of 5 centre halfs (including Seabourne as he is a CH) on pitch at once, where as he couldn't do that today because Huddersfield were down to 10 men.

I'm just saying I don't understand SCP decisions at times.
  • Options
    There wasn't any audible booing. The odd groan when we went backwards, nothing else.

Some people just seem to get off on slagging our support off.

We invited trouble with our approach after we scored imo. Played with no tempo at all and created very little.
  • Options
    It wasn't the passing or keeping the ball that were a problem, it was the tempo and penetration that were lacking or off.

Credit to Huddersfield for defending well and blame to our players for not creating more and then not taking the chances when they came.

The plan was fine, it was the execution that let us down.
  • Options
    I heard some groans from bad passing and when we gave the ball away but no booooooing !
    Just frustration I supose?
  • Options
    Most of us clapped the players off at then end. No booing from the lower north.
  • Options
    No booing from upper north either
  • Options
    ljm29 said:

No booing from upper north either

No booing from anywhere that I heard. Few moans and groans when we conceded some ground towards the end and to suggest we lost because the fans "made" the players lump the ball up (which we didn't actually do anyway) is way off beam imo.