Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A message to all those that like to boo at Charlton.

124»

Comments

• Options
    shoulda won the game 10 men loss to watford, drew with udders, need to kill games off so glad yans back
  • Options
    the wigan player jordi gomez (i think) got booo'd before their match on saturday ..... he then scored a hatrick

so sometimes it does work

#justsaying
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I was cursing the ignorance of our fans as I left the ground. It's a good job they don't support Barcelona is all I can say. It isn't booing - but audible groans when you play the correct ball forcing players to play the incorrect one- which was an aimless hoof on Saturday. Can't stop people who don't understand football going - hey I bring my wife along! - but just wish they would either just support the team or shut up!
  • Options
    Sure there's nothing wrong with retaining possession of the ball. But not at the snail's pace we were using. Huddersfield could have voluntarily taken off another player and had the rest sitting in deck chairs round the pitch and we still would have struggled to break them down. I would suggest that it was the lack of decent movement by our midfield and forward players while the back four were aimlessly stroking the ball backwards and forwards that was upsetting most punters.
  • Options
    We struggle against ten men because most of our midfield decides to play upfront. We had nowhere to pass the ball because the midfield when too high up the pitch. At times we had jj and pritch/green making a four up top.

Against ten men we should be zipping the ball around the middle third to draw them out of position and create openings. Instead we passed slowly at back and then launched long ball.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Sure there's nothing wrong with retaining possession of the ball. But not at the snail's pace we were using. Huddersfield could have voluntarily taken off another player and had the rest sitting in deck chairs round the pitch and we still would have struggled to break them down. I would suggest that it was the lack of decent movement by our midfield and forward players while the back four were aimlessly stroking the ball backwards and forwards that was upsetting most punters.

agree with this.

Also, if all these people think we played in a similar way to Barcelona then they have obviously never seen Barcelona play.
    yeah they pass the ball, but they move it with urgency, always seeking to play the ball forward and move into space. if not possible they hold on to the ball by passing it back and trying again. They sometimes play the waiting game when the opposing team sit back, but they are continually moving off the ball. Players at the attacking end of the team have a passing rate amounting for double the usual player in any other team, and the percentage of completed passes are in the 90s.
    However I do find this tippy tappy game slightly boring. I appreciate it but as a neutral watching i prefer a match which is more even. more exciting when its end to end.

Huddersfield played a high back four closing the space between the two defences, making the midfield compact. With no pace on or off the ball you have little chance of breaking them down at the speed we were going.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    The point about Barcelona was a bit of an exageration , but the point is you can play lots of balls that seemingly aren't going anywhere and wait for something to open up. This is a good way to play against 10 men as they find it harder to press you. If a team compresses a space in the middle, you play the ball back - simples- except it is a crime to do this in the eyes of some of our fans.

There were people graoning on Saturday and I tried to tell thim that they were groaning at sensible football, but they couldn't see it and probably never will.
  • Options
    Huddersfield were just playing to keep it 1-0 with ten men until the last 10 minutes, and then go for it. And all we preceded to do was play completely into their hands by sitting on the 1-0, we weren't stretching them or tiring them at all, just passing nothing sideways and backwards easy passes. That's why it's justifiably frustrating for fans, because in the end it cost us a win.
  • Options

I didn't hear any boos yesterday while playing this ball around but maybe some at the end which no way would have been aimed at the players.

you would have done if you had been sitting near me & my kin !!!

I can't believe all this b****x that I am reading - that we were keeping hold of the ball & stopping Huddersfield from getting the it thus maintaining our 1-0 advantage. 3 problems with that is:

1) it didn't work.....................during a game I don't think any team, even Barcalona, can keep the ball for an entire 45 min and your opponents are going to get it at some point and THEY will try to score.................WHICH THEY DID.

2) to support this theory as FACT, you only need to go back to out last home game when we were 5-2 up with 5 mins to go........we let in 2 and almost threw it away. If that game didn't show you that you need to score as many goals as you can, then none will.

3) football is a spectator sport & we pay money to watch the "action" being played in front of us. The game is about scoring more goals than your opposition, and when you have the ball you are expected to go forward trying to score a goal. If I wanted to watch a game where the players spend their time passing sideways to each other I would go and watch people playing chess.

• Options

the wigan player jordi gomez (i think) got booo'd before their match on saturday ..... he then scored a hatrick

so sometimes it does work

#justsaying

Ah, I see ...... so that's why Kevin Lisbie scored a hatrick against Liverpool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paramount for any team worth its salt is keeping possession
    If it means passing sideways, or God forbid, backwards, so be it.
    The onus is on midfield to drop and show. Stephens, sadly, is lacking in this dept. for a supposed play-maker.
    If the lad ever booed, he'd get a clip round the ear.
    Not that he would.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

I didn't hear any boos yesterday while playing this ball around but maybe some at the end which no way would have been aimed at the players.

I can't believe all this b****x that I am reading - that we were keeping hold of the ball & stopping Huddersfield from getting the it thus maintaining our 1-0 advantage. 3 problems with that is:

1) it didn't work.....................during a game I don't think any team, even Barcalona, can keep the ball for an entire 45 min and your opponents are going to get it at some point and THEY will try to score.................WHICH THEY DID.

2) to support this theory as FACT, you only need to go back to out last home game when we were 5-2 up with 5 mins to go........we let in 2 and almost threw it away. If that game didn't show you that you need to score as many goals as you can, then none will.

3) football is a spectator sport & we pay money to watch the "action" being played in front of us. The game is about scoring more goals than your opposition, and when you have the ball you are expected to go forward trying to score a goal. If I wanted to watch a game where the players spend their time passing sideways to each other I would go and watch people playing chess.
    1. It didn't work, I was suggesting, in part because part of the crowd were urging the team to play the ball forward and that was resulting in punts up the park to the opposition.

2. Cardiff had eleven men, Huddersfield had ten, which was the whole point of my initial post

3. Frankly this is an outrageous comment. I do, indeed, like to watch action, but I like to see us win much more. In fact (no capitals) I would imagine that most football fans (and I mean 99% plus) would rather see their team win 1-0 than lose 5-4. Ask the Cardiff fans if they enjoyed their day out a few weeks ago? If what you want to see is your team scoring more goals than the opposition, maybe getting off their backs when they are 1-0 in front (which is, technically, scoring more goals than the opposition) and are keeping the ball.

If we disagree that groaning and putting pressure on our team to attack when they are five minutes away from beating ten men 1-0 causes us to lose possession then fair enough. However, there is no doubt that Huddersfield couldn't score without the ball, and we were constantly giving it back to them with Cort's punts up the field.
  • Options
    So you don't understand chess either Golfie ;-)
  • Options
    Rob Hulse said today on the OS:

“They made it very difficult for us. The crowd got a little bit frustrated because you think teams will just roll over a 10-man team, but our extra man was at the back and they made it compact and difficult. It is just one of those days.”

The frustration of the crowd was picked up by the players.
  • Options

You stick to golf golf
    going on them comments you've never played football
  • Options
    There are many facets to a game of football

Scoring just one of them

Yes we live for goals

But the turn and step over by wiggins at brum

The defencive positioning of solly

The strength and aggresiveness of morrow

All give me as much joy when it comes off as any goal

Playing against 10 men is always harder and has been the thorn in the side of many a team in the history of football

How anyone can grumble after the run of results we have had is astonishing
  • Options
    Anyway getting back to the title of the thread, the noise boo is a bit embarrassing really. Calling someone a useless wanker has much more effect and is so much more satisfying.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Golf, I'm intrigued by your comments; at what point do you and your family start booing? And are you booing the defenders daring to pass sideways? Or the lack of options coming from midfield? Either way, I can't believe that people were being so negative on Saturday-the more patient our back five were, the more likely one of the opposition would have closed them down which would hopefully have freed up some space for a midfielder to collect the ball and start an attack. If they don't close you down then just keep passing the bloody thing until they do.

All this Barcelona talk is a bit silly but I just think that some Charlton fans should be more patient particularly if you are playing 10 men who are defending deeper than 11 would. And booing or being negative is not only counter productive, it's plain stupid especially if your team is winning! Hulse's comments are very telling.......
  • Options
    That's exactly what it was an air of frustration and groans... It was ridiculous and quite frankly I thought the crowd had a negative part to play and are as culpable for 2 points dropped as anyone..... I hope those people actually get behind the team and be patient
  • Options
    I'm with KHA and others on this one, and would probably add that if the moans / groans / boos were a one-off than so many wouldn't be so p!ssed off with it. We've seen time and time again that, rightly or wrongly, it puts the players under pressure and it ends up in hoof-ball!

Ever since we started our long slide from the Prem, getting on the team's back has been an ever-increasing and frustrating feature of our home games. We are not Kevin Keegan's Newcastle and most likely never will be, so to survive in this league, we need to grind out more results than not, even if it is at home and at the expense of a certain degree of entertainment value.

Personally, I'd much rather see us survive this season and build on the foundations of a decent squad who are finally showing the passion and desire that we all expect from a Charlton team.

Here's hoping for a decent performance tonight, a rocking Covered End, and three points to send us all home happy..........COYA!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The point of passing the ball around at the back, into midfield, back to the centre half etc etc is to slowly pull the opposition out of position. Once the opposition commit, then the more penetrating pass can be played. Thats basic build up possesion football.

The problem with doing that against 10 men is they are alot more reluctant to commit. two banks of four, and a single striker and they will allow the defence to have the ball.

In our case, we dont have the players that unlock passes from a deep position, or to run from deep and take players on.

So it becomes a stale mate. In the end we lump it forward and lose possesion.

Its difficult for both fans and players because its seen as not wanting to kill the game off. The players no doubt want too, but unfortunately we dont possess enough players with the patience and skill to do so.

• Options
    Just to put our alledged booing in context, Arsenal were booed all over the shop at the weekend and there was a sizeable chant to Wenger suggesting he didn't know what he was doing. To Wenger!

Let's get it in perspective and start worrying when we get that sort of thing happening regularly and focus on getting behind the team tonight.
  • Options

Just to put our alledged booing in context, Arsenal were booed all over the shop at the weekend and there was a sizeable chant to Wenger suggesting he didn't know what he was doing. To Wenger!

Let's get it in perspective and start worrying when we get that sort of thing happening regularly and focus on getting behind the team tonight.

Agree with most of this apart from does Wenger really know what he is doing... I am surprised he has lasted so long without competing for trophies.
  • Options
    The last time I booed was during the Parky era, and let's be honest the team at that stage deserved it. However, I didn't notice any booing on Saturday other than that directed at the ref.

Which I can only deduced was for spoiling our little run.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It's groaning more than booing. I agree with the comments relating to where the time and space was - it was in our defensive third - so that is where you pass the ball around - it forces the opposition to come on to you and things then are more likely to open up. If they don't, you pass the ball around with a good degree of safety. What was the biggest annoyance to me was that we were 1-0 up against 10 when some fans were groaning (possibly inadvertantly) - but I do feel they contributed to losing 2 points as the people who don't really understand the nuances of football like the ball played up quickly and the players try to do this to avoid getting groaned at. Just wish they would shut up and leave the tactics to Chrissy.

When we just sung and supported the team - when they weren't giving us that much to sing about against Cardiff - it got a response. If you are going to groan tonight - please try to zip it. I have no problem with people who don't understand the game going to matches, they have as much right to as anybody else, but they have to undersatnd their limitations and that their idea of tactics are non existent.
  • Options

It's groaning more than booing. I agree with the comments relating to where the time and space was - it was in our defensive third - so that is where you pass the ball around - it forces the opposition to come on to you and things then are more likely to open up. If they don't, you pass the ball around with a good degree of safety. What was the biggest annoyance to me was that we were 1-0 up against 10 when some fans were groaning (possibly inadvertantly) - but I do feel they contributed to losing 2 points as the people who don't really understand the nuances of football like the ball played up quickly and the players try to do this to avoid getting groaned at. Just wish they would shut up and leave the tactics to Chrissy.

When we just sung and supported the team - when they weren't giving us that much to sing about against Cardiff - it got a response. If you are going to groan tonight - please try to zip it. I have no problem with people who don't understand the game going to matches, they have as much right to as anybody else, but they have to undersatnd their limitations and that their idea of tactics are non existent.

This. 100% mate.

Rob Hulse commented that the players picked up on the fans' frustration. However you want to dress it up, as much as we have had a positive impact on the team in recent weeks - we did have a negative one on them on Saturday. We've all got to take responsibility.
  • Options
    I have never understood booing just like i have never understood leaving early, most extreme thing i have done at matches is leave the minute the ref blows the final whistle and not even give the players a polite clap, which i only do if i feel we have lost due to lack of effort rather then outclassed.
  • Options
    You'd never make it as a Hells Angel Gretna.
  • Options

You'd never make it as a Hells Angel Gretna.

I no that from experiance, met a few of them due to my work.